• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft [Recruiting Closed]

Rhun

First Post
stonegod said:
Am I to take your application for Endur's Ravenloft as a withdrawal from this, Rhun?

Yes, I was about to post that here. :D

It will be easier for me to submit a concept for a non-Eberron game. Thanks, though. If you DM a game as well as you play, I am sure this will be a great game. Have a fun time, and thanks!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rhun said:
Yes, I was about to post that here. :D

It will be easier for me to submit a concept for a non-Eberron game. Thanks, though. If you DM a game as well as you play, I am sure this will be a great game. Have a fun time, and thanks!
Sorry to see you go. Have fun elsewhere!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Well, since Endur's seems to be first come, first served, I am going to assume that anyone who has applied over there is tacitly pulling out of this game. If this assumption is wrong, those folks will have to correct me.

GwydapLlew

First Post
I haven't come up with a name yet, but I'm really liking the shifter paladin idea. He strives to show that his blood is pure, and that not all shifters are barbaric savages or vicious animals but also to show that the Church is capable of more than just mounting crusades and committing genocide.

I see him as trying to overcome his heritage and constantly presenting himself as intelligent and civilized, while at the same time dealing with the feral impulses his race inflicts upon him. He was raised as an orphan under the auspices of the church, and so wholeheartedly believes in its doctrines but is also aware that there are those in the church who promote their own agendas.

I can come up with more later, but this is the basic idea.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hey stonegod... you've been with me over in my WotC Eberron game for quite a while now, so I figure it's only fair that I return the favor and apply for yours!

This character will be a rogue 3 / cleric 2 / shadowbane stalker 1 build. You can check out Complete Adventurer for the basics of the Shadowbane prestige classes, and you'll see that they sound very much like (and can easily be adapted to) a minor order within the Church of the Silver Flame that has decided that only by learning about the darkness within men's hearts can they hope to defeat it. One of the many orders devoted to the immediate rooting out of evil, even if their ways are not wholy good.

Background: Jarrith Bronns was taught vehemently since birth what the Church of the Silver Flame was good for and why it was needed, because both of his parents learned first-hand of the evil in the world. Martin and Milla Bronns were both victims of the scourge of the dopplegangers, as the village they grew up in within Aundair became infested with the fiends, and both sets of their parents were replaced by doppleganger duplicates. It was only through the grace of the Flame itself that templars finally arrived to eradicate the evil from within the village, and Martin and Milla (both sixteen at the time) clung to each other in their grief. This eventually led to love... both for each other, and for the precepts of what the Church of the Silver Flame taught. They moved to Thrane and became staunch proponents of the teachings... raising their young son Jarrith within the faith.

However, they perhaps taught him a little TOO well, since he grew up more unbending than many others around him. He was an intense, stringent, exceedingly fervent young man, whose entire life became nothing but service to the Flame. The goodness within him was obvious... and his desires to destroy all evil in the world was plain... but it seemed that he was not above fighting fire with fire so-to-speak, especially when he took his vows as a templar. His will to serve Church, parents, and Khorvaire was absolute, but it made for a not-quite-so pure young man. And it was this man that was found by the Order of Illumination-- a wing of the Church a bit more orthodox than many others. They were always looking for young men and women who would fight evil regardless of the cost. If they had to damned themselves in order to save the rest of the flock, then so be it. And when inducted, Jarrith fit into their ranks like a hand in a glove.

Bronns has now spent the last seven years fighting the evil of the world by walking along it's fine edge. A master of stealth and agility, he is always called upon to infiltrate places where evil has gotten hold, and open it up for others of the faith to make their way in. He dances lithely on the edge, knowing full-well that one false step and his plunges irrevocably into the darkness. But this is the only way he knows to get the truest and lightest of results.

Primary role: Infiltration and observation, with a secondary role of back-up divine caster.

Quirks and distinguishing abilities: Master of stealth, which is only enhanced by his abilities as a member of the shadowbane stalkers. He's also very good at information gathering and character detection. He's very much a "attack first - ask questions later" kind of person, which can lead to some difficulties when dealing with polite society. Also his fervor in defending the principles of the Church can become rather tiring when he's around the non-believers. He's not the sort of guy you want to get stuck sitting next to at a dinner party... but when you are on a job you have no worries about whether he will do what is needed or asked of him. Just try not to get him to use all his divine power purely for healing... because as far as he's concerned, you can hire a Jorasco house member for that kind of crap. The Flame grants him his abilities to root out evil... not to play nursemaid to a bunch of weaklings who have stubbed their toes.

GwydapLlew

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
This character will be a rogue 3 / cleric 2 / shadowbane stalker 1 build. You can check out Complete Adventurer for the basics of the Shadowbane prestige classes, and you'll see that they sound very much like (and can easily be adapted to) a minor order within the Church of the Silver Flame that has decided that only by learning about the darkness within men's hearts can they hope to defeat it. One of the many orders devoted to the immediate rooting out of evil, even if their ways are not wholy good.

Interesting. If you don't have any objections, I may adapt my shifter concept to that of the Shadowbane Inquisitor. It would make him a little darker, but I could see it working. The Shadowbane classes tend to work in tandem, so it would make sense for them to be affiliated.

Your thoughts?

Voadam

Legend
Stonegod, I was going to apply to both and play in the first one I got accepted into (since getting into games applied for is not assured and I really want to play a Ravenloft one) then bow out of the other before selection was final. Since I got accepted into the other one I will withdraw my ranger application here and open the slot to another who is more familiar with Eberron. Good luck with your game, I'm sure it will be fun.

penance

First Post
Ill try my hand; I understand the Eberron background/concpets 'pretty well' considering I really haven't ever own/looked at the real book. :D But I understand action points (mostly) and evough about Psionics to understand that I dont like it. However, i particualrly love this character concept:

Fureziael Thertas

Background: Thertas is a man lost; his earliest memories are of wandering through the shattered wilderness of Eberron as man of 20 with no memories; he was practially an animal, until an old, worn out wizard found him. He was known only as Ra'thken; but he saw Fureziael and took pity; the wizard retaught the basic skills of speech and began the slow process of regaining Fureziael's mind.

After a few years, Fureziael slowly regained his personality and basic memories. However, the healing process only went to a point; he has almost absolutly no recollection of his childhood or the events in Eberron that led to his amnesia. Fureziael and his wizened patron lived an isolated life in the ruins of an anceint tower, where Fureziael grew at a rapid pace. Ra'thken was amazed at Fureziael innate powers of sorcery, in addition to his amrtial prowess. Still, they were frustrated at regaining Fureziael's memories. But, there was some hope of Fureziael regaining his memory, until the Magus Ra'thken was killed.

Somehow, a Psionic Monster found it's way into the ruin and motrally wounded the Magus. He killed it with terrible magic, but knew his life was ending. Fureziael could do little but watch his mentor die; Ra'thken's last words were these, "Go, Fureziael. Go out into the world and use the skills I have taught you. Discover your past, as well as your future." And so, Fureziael left, and became a mercenary. Now, finally, he has the skill and resources to persue his own interests instead of the interests of others.

primary role: spellsword. Basically, high ac low hp, good damage output. Im thinking 2 fighter, 4 sorc.

quirks: besides the interesting amnesia stuffs, he is a very two-sided person. In new situations and new areas, he is very cautios. New people, in particular, he is very careful to watch. When these barriers are down, he is a trusting and loyal person, very curious. Knowledge is his primary goal, and money is only a means to an end.
He is particuarly cautious around other magics, and has a hatred/disgust for psionics. He likes to disarm his opponents.

and distinguishing abilities you foresee (and justification for them/how they play to your concept): abilities? I would like him to eventualy get the spellsword PrC.

any thoughts? like i said, he'd be a 2 fighter, 4 sorc.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
GwydapLlew said:
Interesting. If you don't have any objections, I may adapt my shifter concept to that of the Shadowbane Inquisitor. It would make him a little darker, but I could see it working. The Shadowbane classes tend to work in tandem, so it would make sense for them to be affiliated.

Your thoughts?
I have no objections whatsoever, and I think it'd be awesome to have the two of them working as partners on this mission. Shadowbane Inquisitor was actually one of my other possible ideas... but I ultimately decided against it because I wanted to actually start the game with a prestige class and I believe you can't get into the Inquisitor until level 7 (because I think you either need a +5 BAB and sneak attack 1d6, which means at least five levels of paladin and one level of rogue... or you needed 9 ranks of one of the skills, which meant being level 6 as well). But I might be wrong about the entry requirements, I'm not sure.

That's of course not to say you can't be a paladin 5 / rogue 1 and be an initiate into the Order of Illumination and will take your first level of Inquisitor at level 7. Regardless... I think it'd be really cool to have the two members of the Order of Illumination sent on this mission together as representatives of the Church. Assuming stonegod is okay with the two prestige classes, I say let's do it!

Last edited:

GwydapLlew

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
...I believe you can't get into the Inquisitor until level 7 (because I think you either need a +5 BAB and sneak attack 1d6, which means at least five levels of paladin and one level of rogue... or you needed 9 ranks of one of the skills, which meant being level 6 as well). But I might be wrong about the entry requirements, I'm not sure.

I think you may be right; I don't have my books at work, so I can't verify.

DEFCON 1 said:
That's of course not to say you can't be a paladin 5 / rogue 1 and be an initiate into the Order of Illumination and will take your first level of Inquisitor at level 7. Regardless... I think it'd be really cool to have the two members of the Order of Illumination sent on this mission together as representatives of the Church. Assuming stonegod is okay with the two prestige classes, I say let's do it!

Sounds good to me. I'll drop some more detail into the character concept and bribe stonegod later tonight. ;)

Remove ads