stop sleight of hand pickpocketing?

NEXxREX

First Post
well im playing in a game, and our rogue is an @$$....he constantly uses slight of hand to pick our items and other things. so since im a caster i dont have spot to counter the annoying as hell BS, i was wondering if anyone has anything that could counter it?

i know about portable holes and HHH/bags of holding. but our DM alrdy ruled with a DC high enough he can actually lift the whole damn thing even off our backs..........

kitcik

Adventurer
Alarm spell followed by death to the rogue? <aka "boot to the head">

(naturally followed by the looting of the body thereof)

This is only tangential, but hilarious:

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5306888653621817243"]World of Warcraft Boot to the head! Funny![/ame]

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Leave the group. Groups that tolerate inter-party bs like that aren't worth your time. Or just kill the bastard in his sleep. ...The player's character, I mean.

There are plenty of creative things you can do to screw with him. The simplest way to ctach him in the act would probably just be to cast Alarm on one of your valuable but easy to pickpocket shiny things. Exclude yourself from setting it off, and keep it in your backback so the area of effect of the emanation is blocked. Until the rogue sticks his hand in your pouch and touches it, setting off a loud shoplifter siren. You then have proof he's a no good thief and have a legitimate reason to kill him in his sleep and/or plot against him with the rest of the party, if you're worried your DM would say killing him in his sleep without catching him is "metagaming."

If you're higher level, there are stronger spells and cursed items you could consider, too. My favorite would be a bag of devouring. Even if he lifts it off you instead of just fumbling through it at the instance of theft, he's going to try and see what prizes he snagged eventually. Hopefully with you within earshot of his screams of shock and pain so you can give him a lil' push. :)

You need to try and figure out if the DM is his buddy or not. Allowing him to get away with this stuff, I'd think they're on friendly terms, though it's possible this is just an "old school" DM. If you don't think the DM would tip the player off, by all means inform him of your plans/countermeasures. If you suspect otherwise...write what your plans are on a piece of paper beforehand and keep the paper face down at the table. When you proudly declare the world of pain the rogue is in and they say you nevr claimed you were doing that, whip out your pre-made plans that you were hiding because you didn't trust the DM.

Again, I think you're better off just finding better people to game with than trying to outdecieve and "defeat" them.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I've seen this before. We call it the Tasslehof syndrome.

Our solution was to warn the PC once, then execute him when he ignored the warning.

As for how to stop...

Traps. Magical ones work. Magic Mouth can be fun, particularly if the DM is down with a little creativity. Consider placing the spell on your pouch, with the trigger being "If opened or handled by person X". The words it should say? Make it bark and snarl like a rabid dog. Because, according to the spell, it will move as appropriate for the words spoke, you should be able to make the opening of the pouch slaver and pretend to snap and bite at the thief.

Yeah, I know, that's a bit over the top for what is supposed to be a special effect, and it certainly won't do any damage, but like I said it calls for a DM who's down with a bit of creativity.

Besides, it's cheaper than a Bag of Devouring. Still, the BoD combines traps and execution, so I'd seriously keep my eye open for one.

(BTW: I'm serious. We killed the PC. And when the same player tried it again with another one, we killed that one too. There's nothing like being in combat and reaching for an item you need, only to find that your party Rogue was playing a prank, and his sense of humor just got someone killed. We sped up the process, and made sure the death was the appropriate one.)

Ranger19k

Explorer
First of all, allowing PCs to steal from other PCs is a huge mistake IMHO. It just tends to piss everyone off, and happens to be a pet peeve of mine. Your DM should SERIOUSLY reconsider this policy.

In the absence of reconsidering, there should absolutely be a no-tolerance policy among the other players. If the rogue does it, he does it at his own risk. Saying "I'm just acting in character" (the automatic response) is pretty much crap when it comes to these things, but if that's what he goes with, then honestly think about how everyone else would act in character the first time the rogue is caught or a missing item is found in his gear. - And pinning the rogue down and tossing all of his gear would absolutely be the first thing that I did when I discovered anything missing.
I don't care what the victim's alignment is, when the rogue gets caught, he would at the very least be expelled from the party and turned over to the authorities, but quite probably killed on the spot by anyone with chaotic or non-good tendencies. Either way it makes these rogue tendencies a one-shot action. He can try it, but once he gets caught, that character is gone for good, and if the actual player wants to continue with the group, he can get busy rolling up a new character to replace the persona-non-grate rogue.

I'd get the rest of the party to agree to these repercussions and then explain them, either in game or outside game, to the rogue. If he continues being an ass, then let him reap the consequences.

Edit: Hmm, guess I type slow. I agree with the two guys above me 100%.

Last edited:

Tovec

Explorer
i know about portable holes and HHH/bags of holding. but our DM alrdy ruled with a DC high enough he can actually lift the whole damn thing even off our backs..........

Just a few minor things.

1. If the bag of holding has more than a normal backpack retrieving items is a full round action. (I'm not sure if this is only in Pathfinder, I only have my Core available not my DMG.)
2. Yes the rogue can sleight of hand a bag or a portable hole whole. This isn't even a remarkably difficult DC.
3. If the DC is high enough you can sleight of a hand a PERSON so really the skill may need to be re-examined.
4. Beyond that, if things continually go missing then have everyone turn out their pockets. If this happens more than once KILL THE ROGUE.

slwoyach

First Post
Carry around a bag of devouring. Or simply destroy him with the absolute most potent magic you have available as a warning against all future misconduct. Seriously, what kind of idiot rogue messes with a caster?

Last edited:

Remove ads