• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stopping the Charge.

Skallgrim

First Post
I'm going to chime in and say:

Yes, the target can continue its charge move towards you. There's nothing in the rules to say that you have to "declare" how many squares you are charging. Weave through the Fray should be used carefully, such as on distant enemies, or when adjacent to friends (especially fighters). It is also very useful for Elves, who can shift normally in difficult terrain, while their pursuer cannot.

I also think that you can redirect the charge, as there doesn't appear to be anything specifying that you must "declare" your target in advance and cannot alter it. However, this doesn't, in any way, invalidate the general charge rule that the movement must be direct. Each square must be closer to the target than the previous square, so you can slightly alter direction, but not change it entirely. Your new target must basically be "in the same direction" as your old target. As long as all of your charge movement follows the charge rules, any target that fits the charge target rules is fair game.

Similarly, since there is no exception to the charge rules for the requirement of a direct charge, "Weave through the Fray" could also be used to shift the Ranger TOWARDS the original position of the charger. The charger could not redirect towards the ranger, since he would be breaking the rule that he is moving directly towards his target. If he were moving directly, then he wouldn't be circling back, would he? The charge is supposed to be direct, so if the target is suddenly behind you, you can't loop back around. There's not a good definition of 'direct' that includes U-turns. His charge must, from starting point to ending point, be directly towards a target, with each square taking him closer (from his starting point) to the nearest square adjacent his target.

This also fits nicely with the whole "Weave THROUGH the Fray" name. It's not Weave Away from the Fray. The ranger can use the power to move THROUGH the line of melee. This may put him in greater danger, or it might even allow him to close with his intended quarry.

Eldorian

First Post
Least amount of squares counted between here and there. :p

i.e. the shortest distance between any two points is a...

Technically, that's the definition of a geodesic, which happen to be straight lines when you're using Euclidean geometry. But, for example, on the globe, geodesics are not straight lines. And in the funky discrete geometry that you get when you work on a grid, geodesics are neither unique nor straight.

And yes, charge requires you move on a geodesic, that is, every space you move must be closer or as close to the target as any other possible move.

DracoSuave

First Post
If you can change the target of your charge, you can simply go 'I'm charging this guy, oh wait, I'm charging this guy, oh wait, I'm charging this guy' with every square of movement.

Seriously. That is dumb.

Eldorian

First Post
If you can change the target of your charge, you can simply go 'I'm charging this guy, oh wait, I'm charging this guy, oh wait, I'm charging this guy' with every square of movement.

Seriously. That is dumb.

Agreed. A target is chosen before you charge, and step by step you attempt to move towards him in as few squares as possible, and if he moves during the charge, you can continue trying to move towards him until you run out of movement or all the squares you could make an attack from that are nearest are occupied.

Ryujin

Legend
Ouch. DM doesn't accept ties?

Situation: 5 archers on a platform some 20 squares up and 15 squares out, resulting in a distance of 20 squares (the higher of the two). My character is a little left of the square that would be straight on from the left-most archer. DM rules that the "closest" target is the left most archer though RAW say they are equidistant, and movement in that situation isn't much of an option. Ruins a perfectly good opportunity to curse them all, then Cursegrind them (my only attack that can reach that range).

Remove ads