• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stopping the Charge.

Kalthanis

First Post
So we're playing. My archer ranger is plugging away from a distance per usual, and the GM finally notices that I'm launching death missiles from afar. He decides that one of the ghastlies is going to come bother me. The thing moves his squares, and then Charges me.

I activate 'Weave through the Fray'. An ability that allows me to shift some number of squares. And I do.

The GM says, "Okay, he continues his Charge." and moves the undead right next to me again.

Player's Handbooks explode. My contention was that the undead charged and was about to make the attack before my interrupt ... interrupted him, and so he can't then 'continue' the charge. The GM's point was that it basically happened at the same time and he merely kept going after I moved.

Thoughts?

In retrospect, I should have moved to the side, since a Charge is supposed to be in a straight line. I have some follow up questions about this as well, but I'll wait until this one has a few answers.

Thanks all in advance!

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Weave through the Fray triggers when the target moves adjacent to you. This does nothing to invalidate his movement, and he isn't at the attack portion of the charge, so he can continue to move.

His move is not ended until he has squares left to move. And charges happen by the most direct route possible, not necessarily a straight line.

Askaval30

Explorer
I beg to disagree

I believe the OP had it right. the charge stops adjacent to the target (move ends) and the attack is launched. in no case does the charge attack state that an attack can be made any time during the charge movement, only at the end of it. In this case the defender reacted by moving away at the end of the charge but before the actual attack...

in a sense he waited for the opponent to commit himself to the lunge before darting quickly just out of range of the melee blow at the end of the charge

Turtlejay

First Post
CHARGE: STANDARD ACTION

Move and Attack: Move your speed as part of the charge and make a melee basic attack or a bull rush
at the end of your move.

I think the key part of this is where you make an attack at the *end of your move*. Meaning, you finish moving, then attack. Since the power triggers as soon as he enters a square next to you, which is the end of his move, I'd say you got robbed. My reading says that he stopped, you dodged, and he whiffed.

Of course, not to be wishywashy, but I can see how if you were trying to look at this from a real life POV, a simulationist game, where all movement is simlutaneous, yeah. He could have kept charging. I just don't think that view comes into play here.

Jay

Kalthanis

First Post
I think the key part of this is where you make an attack at the *end of your move*. Meaning, you finish moving, then attack. Since the power triggers as soon as he enters a square next to you, which is the end of his move, I'd say you got robbed. My reading says that he stopped, you dodged, and he whiffed.

And this is how our discussion broke down to. Whether that was the end of his move or not. My GM said that since the trigger I was reacting to was, "Enemy moves adjacent" and not "enemy swings", then he was still moving and hadn't really swung yet.

tmatk

Explorer
If a monster can continue to charge after a weave, that power becomes pretty useless. 90% of the time a monster will move adjacent to a PC with a charge.

Trebor62

First Post
If a monster can continue to charge after a weave, that power becomes pretty useless. 90% of the time a monster will move adjacent to a PC with a charge.

Good point and for that matter what would stop a moving monster from just continuing its move, negating Weave most of the time for a monster moving up to then attack.

Victim

First Post
Good point and for that matter what would stop a moving monster from just continuing its move, negating Weave most of the time for a monster moving up to then attack.

When the ranger can shift farther away than they can pursue. Or if the ranger can shift past an ally who might make an OA. Sometimes the free shift is useful even if it doesn't prevent the enemy from attacking too, such as for a melee ranger looking to get a flank on a specific enemy.

Trebor62

First Post
All true but the flavor text has the ranger weaving through the fray avoiding being pinned down, leading me to see it as allowing the ranger to avoid the triggering enemies attack.

Remove ads