D&D 5E Stormwreck Isle Starter Sets show up in the wild!

darjr

I crit!
A couple of thoughts. I don't have the box, FYI.

1. I think they aren't ready to tip their hand on 2024 revisions yet, except for the few things that can be edited from MMoM. Adding "typically" in front of alignment doesn't change the monster math, moving immunity to sleep from Fey Ancestry to Trance is a copy/paste fix. Removing short rests requires more work.
2. WotC still wants to sell PHBs NOW, not just in 2024. Keeping the rules compatible with the current PHB (minor formatting aside) is key. A new box set will come out in 2024 to reflect the new rules. This is a tidemeover until then.
3. I wouldn't read too much into the missing TBIF and inspiration. 5e is a lot to take in for new players and DMs already and inspiration is another rule, a highly subjective one at that, that even vet players forget. I think it was omitted for simplicity, but will be there in 2024. Likewise, I think TBIF will not be per background but a general massive list. There is only so many ways to say "I believe in justice" or "I like to drink" after all...
3a. I think the verdict on background tied to traits will be Spelljammer. UA cares about rules, not fluff so TBIFs can be omitted from UA but still show in final books.
4. I think this got trotted out as a 24 rule preview and clearly it's not. It's a teaching tool designed to whet appetite and advance players to Essentials and then the PHB.

Breathe. We've got a while until we see 24 revisions.
I think you’re probably correct. Except someone did say they said this was a box going forward.

Still that quote might not mean much cause things change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1. I think they aren't ready to tip their hand on 2024 revisions yet, except for the few things that can be edited from MMoM. Adding "typically" in front of alignment doesn't change the monster math, moving immunity to sleep from Fey Ancestry to Trance is a copy/paste fix. Removing short rests requires more work.
They did say recently that we would see more of what they have in mind soon, and this Set does have several rule changes, as has been established.
2. WotC still wants to sell PHBs NOW, not just in 2024. Keeping the rules compatible with the current PHB (minor formatting aside) is key. A new box set will come out in 2024 to reflect the new rules. This is a tidemeover until then.
They also stated that they want full backwards compatibility, and that thisnis the Starter Set for the 2024 rules. Not incompatible goals.
3. I wouldn't read too much into the missing TBIF and inspiration. 5e is a lot to take in for new players and DMs already and inspiration is another rule, a highly subjective one at that, that even vet players forget. I think it was omitted for simplicity, but will be there in 2024. Likewise, I think TBIF will not be per background but a general massive list. There is only so many ways to say "I believe in justice" or "I like to drink" after all...
Strichaven already dropped them, without having them somewhere else.
3a. I think the verdict on background tied to traits will be Spelljammer. UA cares about rules, not fluff so TBIFs can be omitted from UA but still show in final books.
Spelljammer is the next place it would ahownup in print, yup. What we heard about the new Feat Backgrounds in Spelljammer from the Roll20 Arricle, it looks like we might be getting Space versions of the regular Backgrounds, along with Feat suggestions.
4. I think this got trotted out as a 24 rule preview and clearly it's not. It's a teaching tool designed to whet appetite and advance players to Essentials and then the PHB.
It has rule changes, though, and about what I expect to see from 2024. They aren't rewriting the game, but evolving it.

It's odd that the same time they are embracing more of the social pillar in encounters they are removing the most significant social mechanics

Probably because the social mechanics are not used that much (or actually not at all if I look at my games). Embracing the social pillar can easily be done without those mechanics. (And maybe we see some replacement soon that are a bit more integrated.)

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Probably because the social mechanics are not used that much (or actually not at all if I look at my games). Embracing the social pillar can easily be done without those mechanics. (And maybe we see some replacement soon that are a bit more integrated.)
You don't reward players for social play?

You don't reward players for social play?
I do. With a nice game for all and avoiding needless combats. But not often with inspiration, because I just forget about it.
I never look at flaws, personality etc, because those are established during the game, and what we wrote there at character creation just plays no big role after a few sessions.

Remove ads