D&D General Story Now, Skilled Play, and Elephants

Let's look more closely at the Bluff the guard scenario.

Player wants to get into a city. He weighs his options - scaling the walls, waiting a long time for the city to go off high alert, trying to hide in merchants goods that are making their way into the city, creating a distraction and walking past the guards, bribing the guards, bluff the guards, using magic, etc.

A player from 3e decides to try and bluff the guards as he's playing a charismatic character with the bluff skill (or equivalent) leveled up. He made that choice because he is interacting with the environment. He made that choice because there was no other mode of guaranteed success and he felt this one provided him a good opportunity of success and solid contingencies if things went wrong. 1) he can fall back on the bluff skill if his character responses to the guard fail to grant success on their own (assuming there is an opportunity for that). 2) if even that fails he can attempt to run away as he's at the city gate. This whole decision involved interacting with the environment.

Now let's take a look at how this plays in OSR. It's basically identical. Except perhaps the DM asks for a check instead of a player initiating one (i don't know what the 3e rules actually were regarding who initiates skill checks).

Like, what's the difference?

No, this isn't how it works in OSR. In a typical OSR campaign you aren't going to roll the bluff, you are going to say what you have to say to the guard and the skill part of skilled play is persuading the NPC with your words, not with a roll. You may have a CHR reaction adjustment before words are exchanged, which could alter the guard's disposition to you. It isn't the decision to bluff that is the skilled part (though that is to a degree a part of it), it is the decision about what he says. That isn't say what you are describing isn't taking skill (it just isn't what people mean in the OSR when they talk about skilled play typically). The difference is are you pitting the players mind against the NPCs mind in the bluff exchange or are pitting the character's skill roll against the Sense Motive of the NPC. That is the key difference. I am not saying you aren't being skillful, you are still making tactical choices about what mechanics to use to get around the challenge. But you can see the distinction here is a real line. Again, this isn't true for every and all OSR. It does depend on what system is being used, and how that system is being deployed at the table. Tables do vary, but generally speaking I think stuff like Bluff has been contentious among many OSR players and GMs for this reason.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No, this isn't how it works in OSR. In a typical OSR campaign you aren't going to roll the bluff, you are going to say what you have to say to the guard and the skill part of skilled play is persuading the NPC with your words, not with a roll. You may have a CHR reaction adjustment before words are exchanged, which could alter the guard's disposition to you. It isn't the decision to bluff that is the skilled part (though that is to a degree a part of it), it is the decision about what he says. That isn't say what you are describing isn't taking skill (it just isn't what people mean in the OSR when they talk about skilled play typically). The difference is are you pitting the players mind against the NPCs mind in the bluff exchange or are pitting the character's skill roll against the Sense Motive of the NPC. That is the key difference. I am not saying you aren't being skillful, you are still making tactical choices about what mechanics to use to get around the challenge. But you can see the distinction here is a real line. Again, this isn't true for every and all OSR. It does depend on what system is being used, and how that system is being deployed at the table. Tables do vary, but generally speaking I think stuff like Bluff has been contentious among many OSR players and GMs for this reason.
The NPC doesn't actually exist -' what ypu're describing is the GM deciding what happens. How they do this is largely unstructured -- there is no guidance or structure to this enforced by the game -- its all up to the individual GM. This means that player skill is in convincing the GM, which is highly idiosyncratic. While a given GM may have clearly presented principles for adjudication,and provide enough cues to navigate well, that's about the only way this gets to skilled play. It's too unstructured to be elsewise -- you cannot leverage the system herr.

That doesn't nean you can't be skilled at this mode of play, but it's not skilled play. Which is fine -- doesn't have to be; its not lesser in any way for it.

EDIT: I also disagree this is "OSR", and quite a lot of play outside of OSR still uses this approach. Some OSR games even operationalize social encounters with mechanics, so it's not even true within OSR.

clearstream

(He, Him)
This looks like a story about teaching. To me it seems to live in the same space as, say, a parent who holds back when teaching a child to play a competitive game.
I alluded earlier to handicapping, coaching, tutorials, tests: these are all constructed around an assumption that skill can be explained, evoked, and increased. We know for instance that neurological plasticity is greatest when confronted with challenges on the edge of capability. Too easy, and the brain takes it easy (players have measurably lower brain activity when dealing with challenges they have mastered, compared with those who haven't yet mastered them.) Too difficult, and the brain won't engage. We run the risk here of counting work that is done to evoke and develop skill as not eliciting or resulting in "genuine" skill.

There is a general issue for us in this conversation. We speak about skill as if we know what it is, when really only the vaguest skill-constructs have been put forward. We have not formally defined the dimensions or factors of skill. We haven't identified canonical sets of tasks and found their predictive strength. We haven't discussed expressed skill versus latent skill versus mastery. We haven't established any scales. Unless tasks are formalised and presented uniformly to an entire cohort, its near futile to rank them. We can't even be sure what skills our tasks are stressing until we have subjected large cohorts of players to them.

Earlier I put forward that in each context there would be a skill-construct. I can go further and say that what counts as skillful for each cohort can only be a statement about the ranking within that cohort, and that will suffer confounds around practice effects, subjective difficulty, access and fatigue, entangling of factors, and performances across cohorts. A fairly unskillful player might seem quite skillful, in the right cohort.

For RPGs with strong character mechanics, such as 5e, we have the peculiar problem that the more skill a player has in one area of the game, the less they will likely need in another. For RPGs with strong in-the-moment mechanics, like DW, we will likely have the problem that the more skillful the DM is, the more skill the players can express, and conversely the less skillful the DM is, the less skill the players can express. There may be a group component where a skillful group elevate one another. If we think about the thread presenting a possible dilemma between allowing a rest and reducing the skill needed for the final encounter or disallowing it and amplifying the skill needed for that encounter then we can picture how moment by moment DM and player decisions are moving the locus of skill.

To use Gygaxian language, did the player earn their success? Also, out of curiosity, did you tell the player you'd changed the die roll?
Does Carlsen earn his success when he defeats a low Elo player? If he doesn't earn his success, then does that mean even if he plays a perfect game, he is not being skillful? Might confronting him with greater challenge evoke more skill?

As we are speaking about a child, no I did not tell them anything about the die rolls. We can have an interesting debate about whether children can be skillful (I mean interesting in the British sense). However, I have other examples where I changed rolls for encounters, overwrote map-and-key, all those badwrongfun force moves... that lead to my (adult) players feeling more excited and skillful. Didn't your Traveller quote show Miller suggesting force for system generation rolls?

EDIT And I should add that the most memorable and exciting moments for our groups have undeniably been when no force was used. I very rarely use force, but when I do I use it skillfully, and to elevate skill ;) More often though, I manage by good DM-decisioning... and recollect that I count force and decisioning as points on a spectrum, not in character different from one another.

Kevin Crawford is talking about player, not GM, decision-making, in a context which presupposes a strong player/GM divide.

Beyond that, he is articulating the same idea of engaging the fiction that I, @Campbell and others have posted about multiple times in this and related threads.
Indeed he is talking about engaging the fiction, and he lucidly explains that relying on the number on your character sheet is perhaps one sort of skill, but the skill he is interested in is not on your character sheet. It is not situated in the written game mechanics, but compelled by them. By the weakness of the modifiers (often only +1) and fragility of the characters, and in the guidance he gives as to how to orient to and use the written game mechanics.

In many of your posts you seem to be saying that when a DM is guided to decide a certain way (obliged, you sometimes term this) then this is in character the same as upholding a formal written game mechanic (hard crunch) and doing exactly what that mechanic concretely directs. (Say doing 5 damage to the foe because the written mechanic says roll damage now and you roll a 5, so you do exactly 5 to the foe.) I believe that these two things are in character different, and that the former allows scope for essentially any decision (your group may not recognise some decisions as valid, but another very well might). However, I also say that the former can be skillful. Perhaps not in the same way that the latter can be used skillfully, but this reflects the skill-construct to context mapping thesis that I endorse.

Last edited:

The NPC doesn't actually exist -' what ypu're describing is the GM deciding what happens. How they do this is largely unstructured -- there is no guidance or structure to this enforced by the game -- its all up to the individual GM. This means that player skill is in convincing the GM, which is highly idiosyncratic. While a given GM may have clearly presented principles for adjudication,and provide enough cues to navigate well, that's about the only way this gets to skilled play. It's too unstructured to be elsewise -- you cannot leverage the system herr.

That doesn't nean you can't be skilled at this mode of play, but it's not skilled play. Which is fine -- doesn't have to be; its not lesser in any way for it.

EDIT: I also disagree this is "OSR", and quite a lot of play outside of OSR still uses this approach. Some OSR games even operationalize social encounters with mechanics, so it's not even true within OSR.

Of course the NPC doesn't exist, the job of the GM in these situations is to play the NPC based on the NPCs background, motives, goals, personality, etc. The job of the player is to try to convince that NPC (who is being played by the GM, but the GM isn't the one who needs to be convinced, the GM simply needs to see the player saying things that the GM feels would convince that NPC). I am not arguing here whether this involves literal skill, I am describing the playstyle of skilled play as it exists in the OSR. But I do think this does require skill. You need to have the ability to make a compelling case, to ask the right questions to get a sense of what the NPC is thinking, to assess the NPC, etc. There is skill there, some players can do it better than others. But either way, I think you not finding it skilled play, doesn't make it not a style, and it doesn't make the term go away: this is a term people in the OSR use all the time to describe exactly the sort of thing I am talking about. Personally I don't care about it being called skilled play or something else, but that is what it ended up being called.

You can disagree this is OSR, but it is what exists in a lot of the OSR communities. And I acknowledged the games and individual tables vary. But I've been around enough in the OSR communities to know my characterization here is sound (and one poster on En World, or even five, saying otherwise, isn't going to change my view of what I have seen).

Thomas Shey

Legend
One can also roleplay during monopoly, but that doesn't mean a series of monopoly games where you roleplay is an RPG.

At the risk of being offensive, that seems to be singularly dodging the point. And I'm not sure if it was done, and expected to be done, routinely, I'd agree with it. I can certainly tell you a lot of early OD&D games could be described as a series of combat encounters linked together by mapping and trap avoidance.

It absolutely is, but I think a rather lot of people don't find that particular kind of skill a virtue in an RPG context.

That is fair if people don't like it, or even find it objectionable. But it is part of the kind of skill play you see in OSR circles (and I find I can enjoy it, just as I can enjoy games oriented around system mastery; it is a style of play that can be fun). People considering it not a virtue in RPG context, doesn't make it not a thing in the OSR, and doesn't make it not skilled to do.

Remove ads