D&D General Story Now, Skilled Play, and Elephants

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The trouble with the first point is the personal experiences are rooted in circumstances and circumstances have causes and 4E had a very real problem in that it absolutely demanded a rigorous and entirely different approach to encounter to design to any edition before or since, and whilst I personally feel it gave good guidance on that (subjective, ofc), it is clear to me from playing it and discussing it and reading Actual Plays and so on that perhaps the majority of DMs were not following the rigorous approach. Or certainly plenty of them.
The question is - were both styles allowable by the rules and guidance provided in the game. I think so. And even as you noted - the guidelines are subjective enough that it doesn’t make sense that you would ‘die on that hill’ about the game so to speak.

You say this is playing "wrong" and on some level it is, but I also don't really blame them and I think it's fair to say that 4E asked too much, made too much of a leap in one edition.

But what I am saying is this had a real impact, which is that the game frequently didn't work the way it was intended. 5E has similar failing with the 6-8 encounters business (but WotC adventures tend to adhere to that a bit better). And I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that experiencing the game as "tactics not mattering" might have something to do with that common issue.
I’m not particularly concerned with why tactics didn’t matter. Only that they didn’t. I think you are a bit overly concerned with why. I liked 4e at the time but it’s not a game I ever see myself returning to.

What you're describing re: 5E is very superficial tactical stuff. I'm not saying no tactical elements are present. Just that they're shallow or to put it more kindly, straightforward and accessible. In 4E you had to make some pretty big round-to-round decisions and combat tended to run a lot longer meaning decisions flowed into other decisions much more. You also had far more move-countermove-type play, with a wide variety of actions, especially as you went up levels. This wasn't all good, note - the same stuff which made it more tactical gradually bogged down combat increasingly as levels went up.
I agree. But I’ve not argued that 4e cannot be called more tactical. I’m saying that the tactics in it while perhaps needing more skill to master matter much less to outcome than the much easier to master tactics of 5e. We are talking about 2 separate axis. The skill needed to master the tactics, which I agree 4e has more of, and the magnitude of tactics on outcome, which I think we probably agree that 5e has more of.

Mod Note:
What you're doing now is not witty, funny, charming, or constructive. Since you either cannot or will not stop willfully antagonizing people when asked, we'll help you out with the self control....

You're done in this thread.

@Shiroiken, or anyone else, who want to join him, that can easily be arranged.
Not to be that guy, I don't honestly see what Weiley31 or Shirokken did that was wrong. I only recall seeing one remark from him about the cheese cake and seems to be the only time in the thread there was some unnecessary snark I guess?

Clear stream was technically being the snoody one.

Although I haven't seen the new justice league yet so I'm not sure what they did with cyborg.

So this comes off a lot like one true Wayism. “You didn’t play 4e the only one true way” and therefore your opinions about how it played are invalid.

I could just as easily claim my way of playing 4e was the only one true way of playing it and that just because you could hack it into something better makes your opinions of based on your modified version of it invalid. Doing so would get nowhere though would it?

So ultimately I think it’s necessary to recognize that RPGs have many valid ways of playing them and that your groups way isn’t the only one true way.
I don't think that's fair or reasonable.

I've described in detail how the game had a rigorous approach required for the tactical element to function. I'm not saying you have to play like that. I am saying you won't get the tactical stuff working strongly if you don't.

One True Way would be saying that this was literally the only way to play. I literally said the opposite to that in my first post that angered you so much. So you cannot claim that! :)
The question is - were both styles allowable by the rules and guidance provided in the game. I think so. And even as you noted - the guidelines are subjective enough that it doesn’t make sense that you would ‘die on that hill’ about the game so to speak.
Who is dying here lol?
I’m not particularly concerned with why tactics didn’t matter. Only that they didn’t. I think you are a bit overly concerned with why. I liked 4e at the time but it’s not a game I ever see myself returning to.
You described a pretty common issue people had with 4E, and I pointed out why that issue occurs, in some detail. To me, why things are the case is a really useful thing to understand. I dunno if you feel the same way, or indeed if you do generally, but just don't care re: 4E. That's fine, but you decided to take my discussion of why this issue commonly occurred as a personal affront. I literally said you didn't have to play that way - but if you want the tactical stuff to work you do.

It's much like the 6-8 encounter thing with 5E. If you don't follow that, 5E will be less balanced between classes, even less tactical, feel too "easy" and so on. But can you ignore it and have fun with 5E? Of course you can! It doesn't mean the design didn't want you to do a specific thing though.
I agree. But I’ve not argued that 4e cannot be called more tactical. I’m saying that the tactics in it while perhaps needing more skill to master matter much less to outcome than the much easier to master tactics of 5e. We are talking about 2 separate axis. The skill needed to master the tactics, which I agree 4e has more of, and the magnitude of tactics on outcome, which I think we probably agree that 5e has more of.
I would broadly agree. I would say part of this is fight length. In 4E, you had to make tactical decisions round-after-round, and because of all the Interrupts/Immediate Actions/Reactions/etc. (which you sometimes had multiple of), and encounter-based limits to stuff, and more frequent bumping into meta-limits (Healing Surges etc.) during combat, and whilst one single ability was rarely as pivotal, you had to keep using them to control what was going on, so the number of meaningful decision-points was far higher. Which to me, is pretty much the definition of tactics in a game. But 5E yeah, one action is going to have a big impact - you've only got three or four rounds, and one action/bonus action/reaction in each round at most (broadly speaking). And the tactical moves are far more binary and not decision-oriented. Quite a number of 4E moves make a target make a decision, or put them in a pickle about what to do next. Whereas 5E it tends to be "Oh you're stuffed" or "you made your save" (Booming Blade and OAs are some of the only exceptions I can think of). 5E's approach is undeniably more accessible to most.

Weirdly 5E's approach is far less popular with the two most "casual" players in my regular group, who actually engaged hard with 4E's stuff. Whereas the charop-obsessives are totally down with it lol. But YMMV.

? How's that? The GM sets up a 'balanced' encounter and the players hire minions?
That's one way, or if the players obsessively retreat and rest and so on unless prepped (DMs can fight this with clocks etc. but there are limits and ultimately if the players play this way and the DM is having to throw clocks at them to stop them, probably you need a different DM or different players).

Necrozius

Explorer
I just want the designers to firm up the differences between ability checks vs. ability saves.

There are several instances in the rules in which a player "resists" an effect with an ability check rather than a save, and this confuses me.

Grapple, for instance. Why isn't that a Strength or Dexterity save to overcome/resist? Some argue that it's because it's an opposed contest... but if the one resisting the grapple succeeds they don't get the option to reverse the grapple and turn their grappler into their grapple...ee?

Fix that and make it obvious when to make an ability check, when to make an ability saving throw, and specify which cases the PC may NOT use an associated or relevant skill or tool proficiency. More than once I've had a GM tell me to "Roll Strength, but without any skill or tool proficiencies, just straight up Strength" WTF

Remove ads