• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Str 52! Bite of the Werebear and Bear form + VoP

Cephid

First Post
A druid can Wild shape into a dire bear STR 30
Cast Bite of the werebear +16str (+lots of extra goodies)
+VoP (+6str) = str 52 +21
Adding 'Natures Avatar' gives another +10 to hit and damage and haste.

I have a feeling the "bite of the..." spells were not meant to stack with wild shape but the rules don't stop it.

1) Is the feat 'natural spell' (cast spells while wild shaped) legal, unbroken feat?
2) Has it been taken into account that EVERY druid has it when the game is designed?

3) Also, do you count as an animal when wild shaped and hence cast animal targeting spells on yourself? e.g. Natures Avatar (has the game been designed for this?)

Trying to make a fun Druid, but I want to keep things ballanced.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Elethiomel

First Post
werk said:
I'd say a bit of hair from a werebear is pretty valuable...
Werebears are LG. If you're a good and kind druid who's proven that you're out to help the creatures of the forest and fight evil monstrosities, and then you approach a Werebear and ask for some of her hair so you can be better able to fight more monstrosities, I think she'd be happy to give it to you. Also,
1. The spell component has no listed cost and is therefore free by default.
2. Eschew Materials.

Patlin

Explorer
Under current rules, wildshape does not change type. This means the Druid isn't a valid target for Nature's Avatar, which I believe can only be cast on animals.

If you feel this combination is unbalance, consider going with the Shifter Druid variant in PHB II.

shilsen

Adventurer
Cephid said:
I have a feeling the "bite of the..." spells were not meant to stack with wild shape but the rules don't stop it.

True, but [Smokey the Bear]Only you can stop spell abuse[/Smokey]

1) Is the feat 'natural spell' (cast spells while wild shaped) legal, unbroken feat?

Yes, it is. It's very strong, however, as you've noticed.

2) Has it been taken into account that EVERY druid has it when the game is designed?

Probably not. But it's still legal.

3) Also, do you count as an animal when wild shaped and hence cast animal targeting spells on yourself? e.g. Natures Avatar (has the game been designed for this?)

No. You retain your type when wild shaped. Check the Alternate Form rules in the DMG, which wild shape now works off.

Trying to make a fun Druid, but I want to keep things ballanced.

Then please, please, please don't use any of the Bite of the X spells while in wildshape and tell your DM to houserule that they don't stack with wildshape.

mcgeedis

First Post
Cephid said:
A druid can Wild shape into a dire bear STR 30
Cast Bite of the werebear +16str (+lots of extra goodies)
+VoP (+6str) = str 52 +21

Vow of poverty ability enhancement modifiers affects your human form strength, not your wildshape strength score.

NightCrawler

First Post
As much as i know wild shape allows druid to take a new form but in PH it says that he can get only forms of animals with the animaltype... I cant find where is says that werebear is an animal type... Do you?

Cephid

First Post
Thanks guys.
That certainly shuts down that issue.
1) don't count as animal
2) bite of the x is overpowered with wild shape
3) VoP effects human form. (are you sure about this? seems strange)

Any one dissagree with these?
Any of you DM's allow any of it in your game?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads