D&D General Stranger Things Image of a D&D Game

The new Stranger Things season 4 promo video dropped with a cool quick scene of their D&D game! Not much to see but the old classic pitted dice. Anyone have a clue about the minis depicted?

The new Stranger Things season 4 promo video dropped with a cool quick scene of their D&D game! Not much to see but the old classic pitted dice. Anyone have a clue about the minis depicted?

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 9.51.40 PM.png

Chessex wasn’t founded until 1987. I definitely don’t remember seeing vinyl battle mats before then. Would read a history if someone wants to do the legwork.

We used minis but really just for marching order and positioning. I don’t think we ever bothered to measure anything.

Yenrak

Explorer
All the people in here who were lucky enough to live near hobby shops that actually carried miniatures. I remember when the Dungeon! board game first had the plastic pieces and thinking they were cool enough to use for Dungeons & Dragons... and then seeing Ral Partha metal miniatures for the first time on a family trip to Boston... and then finding out that those Dungeon! playing pieces were actually based on Ral Partha miniatures. My mind was completely blown, and I spent too much money buying up a bunch of metal.

I never actually saw battle maps, though. The first time I saw battle maps or even 1-inch grid paper was well after college, circa early aughts. Again, never living near a gaming and hobby store while growing up sucked. LOL
When I found out Ral Parthia were available for purchase, it destroyed me.

i feel like the chessex erasable mats came out mid 80'S? i remember getting them plus the dry erase marker set. Terrain was a thing back then . Does anyone remember the ads back of dragon magazine with the trees/treants. I have an inn made out of wood modeled after one in a hobby store (hobby town) was big then but long gone

I can remember Grenadier miniatures such as the orc warbands/wizard boxes being sold at my local grocery store (big chain) and ral partha /citadel miniatures prior to that and then painting them in testors paints with white testors paint as a primer (yikes)

the nolzurs line for me is coming full circle

don't remember rolling more than 2 d 10 at the same time but i do remember my thaco tables

Remove ads

Remove ads