D&D General Stranger Things Image of a D&D Game

The new Stranger Things season 4 promo video dropped with a cool quick scene of their D&D game! Not much to see but the old classic pitted dice. Anyone have a clue about the minis depicted?

The new Stranger Things season 4 promo video dropped with a cool quick scene of their D&D game! Not much to see but the old classic pitted dice. Anyone have a clue about the minis depicted?

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 9.51.40 PM.png

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Egads. I could not take Stranger Things seriously from the moment these 80s kids opened up their AD&D 1st Edition manuals and started rattling off lore about the "Feywild" and the "Shadowfell."

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Egads. I could not take Stranger Things seriously from the moment these 80s kids opened up their AD&D 1st Edition manuals and started rattling off lore about the "Feywild" and the "Shadowfell."
Oh brother...are YOU serious?

First, they mention neither, so you're just wrong in your snobbishness which is a pretty big sin if you're going to be a snob.

Second, they mention the Vale of Shadow (not shadowfell) which is not in any book of any edition. It's a homebrew setting they created, which appears to draw some vague lore from the Plane of Shadow - which is in fact from those early editions.

Third, even if they had mentioned feywild or shadowfell, which they do not, why would that be important to it being a good show or not?

Last edited:

Yenrak

Explorer
One thing I just remembered. We didn't have a battlemat back in my late 1980s and early 1990s campaign. What we had was a huge piece of graph paper that we put beneath a piece of plastic that served as a wet-erase board. So we drew on that. It worked better than the battlemats I have now.

All the people in here who were lucky enough to live near hobby shops that actually carried miniatures. I remember when the Dungeon! board game first had the plastic pieces and thinking they were cool enough to use for Dungeons & Dragons... and then seeing Ral Partha metal miniatures for the first time on a family trip to Boston... and then finding out that those Dungeon! playing pieces were actually based on Ral Partha miniatures. My mind was completely blown, and I spent too much money buying up a bunch of metal.

I never actually saw battle maps, though. The first time I saw battle maps or even 1-inch grid paper was well after college, circa early aughts. Again, never living near a gaming and hobby store while growing up sucked. LOL
Back in the day they sold grenadier packs of wizards fighters orcs at the checkout line at my local grocery store. The hobby shops carried the real partha stuff and some citadel

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I made my own in the 80's. Got a big flat piece of wood and painted it with glossy white paint. Then I scored in the one inch squares with a craft knife and a large ruler.

Retreater

Legend
Hopefully this thread is going to stay spoiler-free for Season 4 (apparently, watching it is going to be a major time-commitment that I can't do yet).
But one of my players (who I have been gaming with for 20+ years) is waxing nostalgic for how we used to play D&D after watching it. Don't know what I should take from that. I think he referenced it being "hardcore" and the DM being "in charge."

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The rolling of d10s was for Lady Applejack a 14th level thief and her thief abilities, maybe assassin abilities.
I thought the scene of the game was pretty highlight accurate even if a battlemat seems anachronistic. We used miniatures (badly painted) and measured with a tape measure on the table. All and all I think it did a better job showing D&D than the initial Demogorgon campaign in S1.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Hopefully this thread is going to stay spoiler-free for Season 4
Well, SPOILER, Vecna dies at the end!

It's okay, though -- he's a lich, he gets better...

EDIT: Technically, I guess he was already dead?

EDIT 2: In case it isn't obvious from my flippancy, I haven't seen any of them yet either.

Remove ads

Remove ads