D&D General Stranger Things kids D&D with B. Dave Walters DMing!

How was the actual-play show of D&D game with the actors of Stranger Things? I didn't watch it because my level of oral English is not enough good to judge.

My recollection was that it was pretty fun, though David Harbour had a bit of "main character syndrome" going on.

I liked it more than the Game of Thrones one, which seemed like most of the people had no idea what they were doing, but were at least enjoying themselves.

How was the actual-play show of D&D game with the actors of Stranger Things? I didn't watch it because my level of oral English is not enough good to judge.

My recollection was that it was pretty fun, though David Harbour had a bit of "main character syndrome" going on.

I liked it more than the Game of Thrones one, which seemed like most of the people had no idea what they were doing, but were at least enjoying themselves.
The superhero one for Frostmaiden was good - Brandon Routh seemed to be the only one who'd played before and had that 'veteran player at a table of first-timers' confusion. I did enjoy that Karen Gillan understood the assignment with D&D... and made a character who went out, captured dragons, and put them in dungeons.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't remember too much of the previous one, other than everyone seemed to have a very good time.
I started to watch one but didn't get into it. Just having actors playing D&D doesn't make a good live stream for me unless you are huge fans of the actors and will enjoy watching anything they are involved with.

Same thing with the live stream with Kate Welch running a game for Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, and Tiffany Haddish. I mean I like Kate Welch and I would think that Jack Black would rock a DnD live stream. Also had hopes for Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I wasn't as familiar with the other, but vaguely recognized them as comedians. Maybe it was too many oversized personalities at the same table who were not active gamers, or just the wrong mix of people, but it just didn't gel and was a bit cringeworthy. Kevin Smith was particularly obnoxious and Tiffany Haddish just didn't seem into it. Bad casting and probably very little prep.

I would rather see just one celebrity join as a guest star on an established stream like Critical Role or one of the Glass Cannon streams.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I started to watch one but didn't get into it. Just having actors playing D&D doesn't make a good live stream for me unless you are huge fans of the actors and will enjoy watching anything they are involved with.

Same thing with the live stream with Kate Welch running a game for Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, and Tiffany Haddish. I mean I like Kate Welch and I would think that Jack Black would rock a DnD live stream. Also had hopes for Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I wasn't as familiar with the other, but vaguely recognized them as comedians. Maybe it was too many oversized personalities at the same table who were not active gamers, or just the wrong mix of people, but it just didn't gel and was a bit cringeworthy. Kevin Smith was particularly obnoxious and Tiffany Haddish just didn't seem into it. Bad casting and probably very little prep.

I would rather see just one celebrity join as a guest star on an established stream like Critical Role or one of the Glass Cannon streams.
Smith was so disappointing in that one.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the episode of Relics and Rarities where Kevin Smith guest-stars as the warlock detective Sam Hain. I think your point is right - these celebs can be entertaining, but not 'watchable D&D-entertaining' - but I find Deborah Ann Woll to be an amazing DM who can finesse that spark out of them,

If you haven't seen Relics and Rarities, one of the other interesting conceits for the game is: the set starts as a antique store, and the players can go look at the props. Anything with a tag on it, they can select as their item for the session. For instance, in the Charlie Cox episode, they found one of the items was unbreakable thread they used to lasso a shark. With Kevin Smith, he found the sheet music prop, that basically gave him advantage questioning people... as long as he sung the question

I will say I have been enjoying the Spelljammer AP so far - the first two DMs have been Brennan Lee Mulligan and B Dave. I am really waiting to see when Brennan's character shows up... H'Catha Slim, a mindflayer gunslinger space pirate who broke free from the hive mind.

(Also - later episodes will apparently have Minsc and Boo...)

Remove ads