• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Street names?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I need a decent list of street names (from main roads to back alleys to marketplaces). Please help!

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I need a decent list of street names (from main roads to back alleys to marketplaces). Please help!

Here are a list of roads from my homebrewed, urban-based game in Kahabro-

- Lamplighter's Way (main vein through the old city)
- The Thumb (a backalley leading towards the labythrine mazes of the slums)
- The Five Fingers (radiates outward from a central area around a fountain in the grand bazaar)
- Bludger's Square (road leading around a neighborhood on the edge of the Anvil burough)
- Courtyard's Rest (dead end leading to a small burough dubbed "the Court"
- The Understair (a road through a natural cavern leading to Wainwagon in the old city)
- Slattern Row (winding road leading through the redlamp burough)
- Fishersgate Road (road leading westward from the city to the harbors)
- Oldpool (a vast canal/main vein through Kingsrow District)
- Slumdog's Down (street where once can find sellswords on the cheap)
- Cheapskate's Row (the road before the debtor's prisons)
- Killbride Pass (Magistrate Killbride's street, littered with city officials and goverment buildings, flanked on either side by towers linked with bridges for several blocks)
- The Crossing (a vast bridge/township settled on sandbars between the old and new city)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:

Lacyon

First Post
In one campaign I heard about, the PCs tracked down the bad guy to a lair underneath the city. One of the PCs had become the official street-namer for the town (He knew Arcane Mark, so he put up permanent marks with the street names). He named the street "Evil Street", so they'd remember where it was when they came back. Of course, the residents didn't like that name at all, but calmed down when he said "No, it's pronounced EH-vil street, named for my Aunt Evil!"

Good times :lol:

Wicht

Hero
Many towns have their streets named thematically:
Elm, Oak, Spruce, Willow, Bark, Twig, Mulberry, Apple, Pear, Walnut, Pecan, Peach

Lilly, Rose, Tulip, Flower, Daisy, Clover

Sword, Bow, Dagger, Spear, Axe, Blade, Shaft, Staff, Shield, Plate, Chain

Wagon, Timber, Forge, Weaver, Seamstress, Guard, Gods, Wheel

Gold, Silver, Iron, Steel, Tin, Copper, Platinum

First, Second, Third, etc.

Temple, Palace, Watch, Poor, Cobble, Merchant

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here are a list of roads from my homebrewed, urban-based game in Kahabro-

- Lamplighter's Way (main vein through the old city)
- The Thumb (a backalley leading towards the labythrine mazes of the slums)
- The Five Fingers (radiates outward from a central area around a fountain in the grand bazaar)
- Bludger's Square (road leading around a neighborhood on the edge of the Anvil burough)
- Courtyard's Rest (dead end leading to a small burough dubbed "the Court"
- The Understair (a road through a natural cavern leading to Wainwagon in the old city)
- Slattern Row (winding road leading through the redlamp burough)
- Fishersgate Road (road leading westward from the city to the harbors)
- Oldpool (a vast canal/main vein through Kingsrow District)
- Slumdog's Down (street where once can find sellswords on the cheap)
- Cheapskate's Row (the road before the debtor's prisons)
- Killbride Pass (Magistrate Killbride's street, littered with city officials and goverment buildings, flanked on either side by towers linked with bridges for several blocks)
- The Crossing (a vast bridge/township settled on sandbars between the old and new city)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Daniel

It does!

Just a note - I'm using these in the War of the Burning Sky hardcover - do you object to them being used? I guess I should have said that in the first post!

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
It does!

Just a note - I'm using these in the War of the Burning Sky hardcover - do you object to them being used? I guess I should have said that in the first post!

Ach, a lot of these are included in my upcoming publication for my Kahabro urban setting...

But feel free to be "inspired" and use them in some iteration. ;)

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Here are a few real English street names.

The Side
Cowgate
Gallowgate
Skeldergate
(Gates are streets leading to city gates)
Bigg Market
Groat Market
Clothmarket
Greenmarket
(Markets are, er, streets with markets) - there may even be a Market Street.
Highbridge
Sandhill
Sandgate
Side
Dog Bank
Dogleap Stairs
Cox Chare
Pudding Chare
(a chare is a narrow street) except of course, for:
Broad Chare
Fenkle (or Finkle) Street/Lane, etc. Are always (in my experience) at an odd angle to other streets and often have a sharp bend in them.
Foss, Fosse, The Foss, Fosse Street, Fossway, Foss Lane etc. usually run alongside an old defensive ditch.
Aldwark
The Stonebow
Pavement
Green Batt
The Batts
The Butts
I think Batts/Butts are low lying areas near a river or an expanse of meadow. But the name stays after the meadow has been built on.
The Peth (dialect word for path?)
The Lonnen (dialect word for lane?)
Dere Street - a road the Romans built.

Alnwick boasts a Bondgate Within and a Bondgate Without, separated of course by Bondgate Tower.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads