• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Street names?

That's because you live in the US, which did not have a medieval period.

No, but we had an early modern period (1600-1700) in the East. Road names in New England and New York (outside of where suburbanism has run rampant) are very similar to road names in Old England and York (outside of where suburbanism has run rampant). Some good place names near where I grew up:

King's Highway
<location> Post Road
Indian Hill Road
Spy Rocks
Crusher Road
Long Ridge Road
High Ridge Road
Trinity Corners
Hardscrabble Road
Goldens Bridge

RefinedBean

First Post
Ashen Alley
Winding Way
Sorrow Street
Rich Man's Road

Alliteration is good.

Back Alley
Road Way
Sign Street
Off Road
Clean Street (in a ghetto)

Wordplay is good.

The Vein
The Eastwest
The Race (for a circular road)

Soul's Way
Diver's Street
Drunk's Alley
Priest's Walk

Hrm.

vagabundo

Adventurer
High street
Bull Alley
Meat Street
Marrowbone Lane
The Coombe
Newmarket
Ward's Hill
Stable Lane
Hatch Street

These are all from my city, Dublin. Like a poster above said; most are named after people, notables from Dublin and beyond.

It was common to rename a street after a 'hero'.

ProfessorPain

First Post
No, but we had an early modern period (1600-1700) in the East. Road names in New England and New York (outside of where suburbanism has run rampant) are very similar to road names in Old England and York (outside of where suburbanism has run rampant). Some good place names near where I grew up:

King's Highway
<location> Post Road
Indian Hill Road
Spy Rocks
Crusher Road
Long Ridge Road
High Ridge Road
Trinity Corners
Hardscrabble Road
Goldens Bridge

I agree, this part of the country isn't as young as the west, and it is written in our roads, our homes, and churches.

Thanael

Explorer
Amal Shukup said:
But that's not the thing that kills me. The player responsible for Tru also DMs, and he has this fabulous town/small city he uses in his world. It's wonderfully developed and detailed (about 20 years worth), BUT he crushes new players with his naming conventions:
- Wright, Write, Rright, and Rite Streets (yeah, just try asking for directions)
- The Green Dragon, Green Lagoon, Green Flagon, and Green Dragoon Inns...
- Lots more like that...
.....from http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/128202-its-joke-name-sir-2.html#post2166501

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads