• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Street names?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Your probably going for simplicity, but older cities/towns often have streets that change name as they go though different neighborhood/districts.

Looking at 'Life in a Medieval City' we see in Troyes the following street:
Grain Market, Rue de l'Epicerie, Rue de la Fanerie, Rue Notre-Dame. And yes, that's all one street.

Halivar

First Post
Hrmm... I'm starting to not like D&D names. You know them: the fantasy names that would very rarely make an appearance in real life. The following types of names are ones I have vowed never to use again:

<Name>'s <Geographical Feature> (King's Road, Gordon's Fen, etc.)
<Nature Adjective/Noun><Geographical Feature> (Greenwald, Winterhaven, etc.)

Taking a straw poll of roads around the various cities I've lived in, I notice that almost all roads are named after people (including some, in smaller towns, named after my own family members).

I suggest using people names, just like you would for NPC's.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Water Street
River Street/Riverside Drive
Court Street
Market Street
Front Street
Court Street
Park Street
North/South/East/West Street
Parade Grounds/Parade Street
Kings/Queens Way
Cutpurse Alley/Lane
Fishgut Alley
Alley Cat Lane

Imperialus

Explorer
Hrmm... I'm starting to not like D&D names. You know them: the fantasy names that would very rarely make an appearance in real life. The following types of names are ones I have vowed never to use again:

Taking a straw poll of roads around the various cities I've lived in, I notice that almost all roads are named after people (including some, in smaller towns, named after my own family members).

True dat. For something a little different here are some street names from my hometown. A lot of them are named after First Nations leaders or early residents.

Deerfoot Trail
Crowchild Trail
Blackfoot Trail
Macleod Trail
Marques Of Lorne
Glenmore Trail
Sarcee Trail
John Laurie Blvd.
Anderson Rd.
McKnight Blvd.

Imperialus

Explorer
And here is what I found by zooming in on Limerick Ireland from Google Maps.

Castle Road
Dean Street
Rushbrook
Smithsland
Coolgrange
Palmerstown
Joinersfolly (sounds like there's a story behind that one :p)
Springmount
Warrington
Raggatsland
St. Fiacre Pl.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

That's because you live in the US, which did not have a medieval period.

Living in England, I see exactly those sorts of names everywhere. In fact, I se eone of them exactly very close to me (King's Road).

I'd suggest that "similarity to modern-day America" not be a benchmark for naming conventions in D&D. :)

Of course, if it's just a matter of preference then go for it!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Your probably going for simplicity, but older cities/towns often have streets that change name as they go though different neighborhood/districts.

Looking at 'Life in a Medieval City' we see in Troyes the following street:
Grain Market, Rue de l'Epicerie, Rue de la Fanerie, Rue Notre-Dame. And yes, that's all one street.

It's a fictional city in a game book describing a magical fantasy world, not a real life historical documentary! :)

Names need to serve only a single purpose: be evocative. Etymology isn't relevant. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads