Streets of Seilen IC Campaign

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Kaiambus glances at Eveiret, eyebrow raised. He pulls his hood down lower and makes himself as inconspicuous as possible. His eyes down, he quietly addresses the others —

"I'd suggest, and hopefully you'll agree, that we pick our battles carefully while in Seilen." After a moment's pause, he grins. "I'm rather curious about this event myself, though, and, with your leave" — he looks towards Yunalesca and Mal — "I'd like to talk to the wife. This might be a perfect way to gain some quick and fast knowledge of current political struggles in the city. Plus, maybe we can do something for her and him, assuming you all want to, and assuming anything can be done."

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Mal looks at Kaiambus blankly for a full second before talking:

-''Well, I'd love to go talk to an hysterical woman with you. Really, I would. But I'm the victim of an ancient family curse that prevents me from tolerating high-pitched screams and sobs. So I'll go inquire about the local thugs in this seedy tavern instead.''

Mal walks toward a tavern next to tailor's shop. His left hand rests under his cloak. Some might think it rests on a weapon, the truth is that it's on his purse. Mal is much more affraid of cutpurses than muggers. Once there he orders a drink. Then he casually asks about the Vherzazi and what just happned outside of the tavern.

Last edited:

Rhialto

First Post
As Mal walks to the tavern, a large half-goblin grins at him, and unsheathes a knife.

"The bar takes a surcharge for entry..." he says softly. As he does so, he rolls up his sleeve, revealing a tattoo of a large grey rat...

Rhialto

First Post
As the Verhazi lead the tailor away, a group of three individuals dressed in loose robes approach, their speed almost eerie. At their sides, each carries a greatsword. They do not seem to be wearing any armor. Their leader is a tall, stately woman, whose silver hair and golden eyes distinguish her as being of Sleurithian descent. "Unhand him." she says to the head Verhazi in a calm, flat voice.

Eveirett glances at the Yunalesca, who is staring at the individuals curiously. "Janissaries. The elite troops of the Society of the Slaying Sword. Who are themselves elite troops, which tells you a great deal..."

The older Verhazi stares at the Sleurithian Janissary, and laughs. "Slayer-woman! Come to argue with us? We backed by Crafts' Guild! The Slayers will be gone soon! It is certain..."

In one fluid blur of a motion, the Janissaries draw their swords. "We told you to unhand the tailor..."

The Verhazi laughs. "You want me to have Strongfist and Fingerbreak yank off his hands...? Strange request..."

The Sleurithian narrows her eyes. "The sword that slays should be in the hand that wields..." she mutters quietly. With that the other two Janissaries leap forward, and attack the trolls. The Sleurithian charges at the elderly Verhazi...

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Rhialto said:
"The bar takes a surcharge for entry..." he says softly. As he does so, he rolls up his sleeve, revealing a tattoo of a large grey rat...

Mal's eyes roll dramatically in their socket.

-''This really is a hospitable city! First of all, ratboy, this is one ugly tattoo you are sporting. Is the surcharge required to pay for its removal? Secondly, you wield this knife as if it was a hammer. Is the surcharge required to pay for some fencing lessons? Thirdly...''

Suddenly there is a commotion nearby as the Janissaries engage the Verhazi in melee.

-''...and thirdly there are things happening right now that are much more interesting than you are. Please, excuse me.''

Mal rushes toward the fight and pauses to assess the situation.

''A fight! Which side, if any, do I want to be on? My, this is a foxy lady. Society of the Slaying sword, eh? These are supposed to be kindred spirits. And these Dogmen work for a guild. I love guilds so much. It's time to spread the love...''

Mal's blade flashes in his hand. He draws it so swiftly that it might as well have materialized. He glances back toward the hobgoblin with the rat tattoo to be sure he isn't preparing something nasty, then swings his shield from his back to his left arm and he calls to the leader of the Janissaries as he prepares to charge into the fray:

-''Hey, Janissaries! Would you accept some assistance against the guild's puppy soldiers?''

OOC:

Society of the slaying sword are mercenaries, right?

Unless the Janissaries yell for Mal to stay out of it, he is going to engage the lesser Verhazis who are bound to try to rescue their leader by flanking the Lady. He'll try to prevent that, fighting back to back with the Janissary if she'll let him.

I can move at 60' and charge up to 120' if I need to, so it can't take me very long to join the fight. My standard attack bonus is +10 with my enchanted longsword (1D8+6, 19-20). +12 if I charge. My AC with my shield in position is 21 (19 in a round that I charged).

If the Janissaries insist I stay out of it, I'll stop in my track and sheath my sword, that's all. You'll notice that I asked them if they'd accept help, not if they needed help. Warriors are usually very proud.

BTW; I make sure that the ratboy hobgoblin see me drawing my blade. I want him to back off and flashing (quickdraw) an enchanted blade should do the trick.

Last edited:

"I am sorry to hear about Master Conach, although it seems you'll be an adequate house master when things calm down. Please, tell me, how did the late master die?"

Kelvin tries to make himself look as if he was simply inquisitive, however he tries to mantain his thoughts to himself.

(And after listening to the Gnomari's explanation, if any, Kelvin will continue with the next question if appropriate)

"Who must I talk to about the book my master wants me to copy? Surely there is someone in this building who can help."

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Kaiambus Arkhendeire

The commotion behind Kaiambus, stops him dead in his tracks. He sees Mal draw his blade amid the start of the melee between the Verhazi, the Janissaries, and the Trolls (er...not necessarily in that order).

"Oh, ****."

Kaiambus quickly assesses the situation. Talking to the widow seems like a bit of a moot point right now. The Janissaries and Mal are outnumbered. Fighting the guildsmen, particularly these guildsmen, may not be what Kaiambus had in mind, but it seems like the only way. Kaiambus knocks an arrow and waits...

OOC: I wait to see what Mal does, as soon as he attacks (if he does), I'll fire an arrow at one of the unengaged Verhazi [+8 Attack with MW Longbow, +9 if within 30' (point blank shot), no penalty for shooting into melee (precise shot)]. My AC is 16, 13 flatfooted. In the event that he does not attack, I'll hold my action long enough to see how the battle plays out — if the Janissaries look like they're going to take a beating, I'll start to take shots at the guildsmen.

Vargo

First Post
Knowing that his presence has been requested tomorrow, Vargo finds that he has much time to kill on his hands. Seeing as how Mal and Yunalesca seemed to have the most potential for having fun, he follows after their rapidly dissapearing forms in the distance.

If allowed, he's mounted.

Rhialto

First Post
An Ulheru Janissary glances at Mal and nods.

"A wise warrior never refuses an honest offer of aid..."

Meanwhile, Vargo, on his horse, has caught up to the group. The scene that presents itself is this--a group of three Janissaries is attacking a larger group of Verhazi and Trolls. Kaiambus is nocking an arrow, Mal is about to attack a Verhazi, and a very nervous tailor is running back to his shop.

OOC: Okay, let's see what we have here--Kaiambus is going to fire at a Verhazi. Mal is going to attack a Verhazi. Two of the Janissaries are attacking Trolls--the leader is attacking the head Verhazi. I'll wait a while for Vargo and Yunalesca to post their actions, and then--combat begins...

Remove ads