D&D 5E Strength Monk Ideas

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay so while I like the idea of letting the Barbarian handle a lot of the strength based ideas that we sometimes want to do with the Monk, I do think there is room for strength in the monk.

The only abilities that I think need changed in the base class are unarmored defense, and flurry of blows.

One idea I had was to add strength to HP, but even with a bunch of HP you still need workable AC. Giving them both would be overkill. Letting them add Strength to AC would be a bit odd.

I'm cool with the other abilities on a strength monk, except for flurry of blows. But, the subclasses tend to do stuff with FoB, so it can't just go away. I'd rather do a powerful blow, but...without replacing anything I am not sure how.

The Unarmed Fighting Style and Crusher feat can get an individual character there, but I really want the class itself to support it.

Perhaps working strength into the existing options would do it. So, rather than raising the classes hit die, give them a bonus equal to strength mod to HP at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 18th, levels.

Then, step of the wind get split. Unarmored Movement gets renamed Step of The Wind, and includes a small at-will jump boost. Power of Body is a spirit/focus/spoon feature that lets you choose when you use it between a speed and dex save boost or speed and ignore difficult terrain, something like that, or a jump boost as basically Powerful Build.

At level 5, give a choice between a version of stunning strike that hopefully doesn[t make some folks think they have to hoard ki to only ever use it on that, and a big nova punch ability.

Any thoughts?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
There is always a place for the strong monk.

1683496833413.gif

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Well when it comes to Unarmored Defense, I house ruled that it is instead 10 + your proficiency bonus + either your Dexterity or Wisdom. It makes monks less MAD, and allows for a monk that would prefer to ditch dexterity for strength.

But given what you're proposing, it just feels like the pugilist does everything you're looking for. Of course, I'm not gonna yuck anyone's yum when it comes to home brewing. But I also have a philosophy to not reinvent the wheel if something else exists that does what I want and I can just get away with reskinning it.

I also understand that not all tables allow 3rd party resources, like the pugilist. But if we are talking about home brewing a new strength monk, it seems like that's less of an issue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well when it comes to Unarmored Defense, I house ruled that it is instead 10 + your proficiency bonus + either your Dexterity or Wisdom. It makes monks less MAD, and allows for a monk that would prefer to ditch dexterity for strength.

But given what you're proposing, it just feels like the pugilist does everything you're looking for. Of course, I'm not gonna yuck anyone's yum when it comes to home brewing. But I also have a philosophy to not reinvent the wheel if something else exists that does what I want and I can just get away with reskinning it.

I also understand that not all tables allow 3rd party resources, like the pugilist. But if we are talking about home brewing a new strength monk, it seems like that's less of an issue.
I could check out the pugilist I suppose. Generally I think “mundane” when I see that name, so I never associate it with the monk. I’m blanking tho, who made the pugilist for 5e?

Original Monk was dex, Wis and str.

« To be a monk a character must have the following minimum ability scores: strength 15, wisdom 15, dexterity 15, and constitution 11. »

Monks use magic to enhance their body, so I could see an unarmoured defense based on Str and Wisdom where the style is based on rapid movement to avoid blows rather than grace and balance, possibly even including channelling Ki to harden your body.
Flurry of blows being replaced by a straight damage multiplier on one attack wouldn't be unbalanced: your average damage doesn't go up, just becomes "spikier" and less applicable to multiple opponents.

Remove ads