Level Up (A5E) Strife

Stalker0

Legend
Just doing a quick compare to exhaustion (assuming you haven't changed that table). Overall, Strife is a good bit weaker than exhaustion level for level until maybe the madness effects kick in. I don't know if you want them more equivalent or not, but the gap is pretty wide.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Just doing a quick compare to exhaustion (assuming you haven't changed that table). Overall, Strife is a good bit weaker than exhaustion level for level until maybe the madness effects kick in. I don't know if you want them more equivalent or not, but the gap is pretty wide.
It seems like Strife and Fatigue are going to be harder to get rid of, since you can only shed them at havens instead of just by taking a long rest any ol' place. So having them be weaker isn't that bad a deal.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
fatigue progression could get a revamp as well. Like Faolyn mentioned though I also think that the intent is going to be making them harder to shed but more common.

Last edited:

Strife, as described, sounds like an overload even for the hardened adventurer who would be assumed to be able to handle ordinary (i.e., for heroes) stress, at least. It's kinda like the old "system shock" idea but related to incomparable stress, magical or other. It also appears related to some parts of fatigue (mental) and in the eventual increase of physical fatigue, which stress (strife) contributes to. There's some scaling ways it could be handled (maybe an average of con + int for STRIFE level where it kicks in) X-time until X-condition is met), but that's taking it away from where Morrus had it pointed, so I'll butt out. ;)

dave2008

Legend
Well in A5e there is strife and fatigue that replace exhaustion, so I would expect they would be weaker individually.

Horwath

Legend
One of the few things I do not like about 5E(and now A5E) is this binary effects of exhaustion(fatigue/strife).

We houseruled exaustion to be a slow, gradual process that effects almost everything every level by little:

Every level of exhaustion adds cumulative -1 penalty on all d20 rolls(attacks, saves, checks), -1 max HP per level(HD), -1 to all DCs and -5 speed(to a minimum of 5ft).

6th level is death.

This not prevent any action to be attempted, but it gives more and more penalties to all actions. More or less equally.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
One of the few things I do not like about 5E(and now A5E) is this binary effects of exhaustion(fatigue/strife).

We houseruled exaustion to be a slow, gradual process that effects almost everything every level by little:

Every level of exhaustion adds cumulative -1 penalty on all d20 rolls(attacks, saves, checks), -1 max HP per level(HD), -1 to all DCs and -5 speed(to a minimum of 5ft).

6th level is death.

This not prevent any action to be attempted, but it gives more and more penalties to all actions. More or less equally.
To each their own, personally I find simple number penalties uninteresting.

Remove ads