Strikeforce: Morituri Part One "the Mortals" Is Completed

STRIKEFORCE: MORITURI
SEGMENT 023
“Jaws of Sorrow”

“I am Captain Bennaton. I am the captain of this fine ship. Who may each of you be?” He motions to the three survivors of the ill fated sea craft- Siren of the Sea.

A stunningly beautiful woman of her mid-twenties with shoulder length cured black hair speaks up first. I am Jilliannna Truthspeak. These two are my aids- Miss. Karen and Miss. Blaque. We had paid for safe passage from the island of Niles to the island of Bastilles onboard the ship Siren of the Seas. The Jaws of Sorrow sank it last night quite unexpectedly. Fortune was with us as your ship came to save us. I only wish the crew were as lucky.

Captain Bennaton mulls over this information while looking over the three women. It surprises him that these three should survive over the crew but the fates must not be done with them. “Very well.” He turns to the five strangely dressed survivors and asks for their story.

“I am Captain Roger Stevens. These are my friends, allies and if you will my crew. I am unsure how we came to be here in harms way but we thankyou and wish to aid you in any way we can.” His stance and eyes are commanding and impress the Captain of the ship. Bennaton is very certain he means everything just said.

“Where were you going to on your travels?”

“Strangely enough, we travel to the island of Bastilles ourselves. Fate seems to have drawn us all together.”

“Be careful of how you view fate. She has a way unlike any other.”

Before the captain can continue he hears someone rushing and tripping on the stairs. He turns to find a crewmember there very pale and shaken. “Cap... captain…we have seen it! We have seen the Jaws of Sorrow!”

Everyone rushes to the deck. The crew is above his cabin looking behind the ship. It is understood that they should not follow but the Captain’s gaze and the horrified thoughts on the guard’s mind allow him to slip up the ladder. Ever curious and nimble, The man dressed in tight black clothes with light red armor climbs a rope quickly and proceeds to the crow’s nest far above. Vander and the five women stay below but remain attentive.

The lookout in the nest fails to see the stranger climb into his lookout. His gaze is fixed on the waters within the receding wake of the ship. He can see a large grayish- white fin slice through the water. Thick barnacles or armored plates can be seen on it. It is maintaining the same pace as the wind blown ship. Megamania, with his trained eyes sees something else. Something that horrifies him. The dark shadowy figure behind the boat that the fin is connected to. The tail sticks out of the water a full 5-6 feet. The dark shadow of a figure precedes the tail by about 75 feet. The dorsal fin is close to the surface.

In a voice nearly too quiet to be heard, he says only this- “…. we need a bigger boat…..”

The ship itself is only about 100 feet long.

“…. a bigger boat like a fully equipped USS Wisconsin…”

“She is taunting us. She means to destroy us in due time. Captain Stevens- I hope you meant what you said below deck. I will need your help if I can. It is obvious to me that your allies are no normal military group.”

He turns to the Captain, his shield shines with energy. “Consider it done.” He goes to call on the others even as the captain of the vessel gives out orders.

“Jean- I need wind. We need to outrun this beast if possible. Christina- give us any extra advantage we can get. Vander- with your great strength, try to help these men. Those lines are going to require a lot of pull with Jean’s intervention. Megamania- damn it boy where are you?!?”

“It’s out of range for me” shouts down the rogue.

The three women move to the side to be out of the way. They do not attempt to go below deck.

White caps suddenly form behind the ship as a powerful gust builds up strength and intensity. The Captain of the ship looks in awe. “Steady men! A great wind looks to be coming!” And just as he finishes that the ship’s sails catch the first of the wind created by Jean.

“s***…Captain- the beast is keeping with us” yells Megamania holding onto the edge of the crow’s nest. The sailor that was the lookout looks green as the ship lifts quickly riding a large wave.

Vander grunts as the ropes pull at his arms. He was told to pull hard and he shall. He strains and holds the sail in place. The men are in awe as three others holding a line are being slowly dragged along. Hidden under his armor, a tattoo of a large horned beast quivers then seemly melts into his body. To the amazement of all, he pulls back on the rope taking up the strain the three men could not withstand.

Christina, having blessed the crew and her allies, goes to bolster the line handler’s strength. She gives out spells of Bull Strength and Golem Strength as she sees fit to.

Jean continues to bolster the strength of the winds then begins to lift into the air. Her cape drawn out capturing the strength of the wind lifts her quickly suddenly. Her eyes glow as the very power of the elements course through her.

The Captain looks in awe. He is suddenly very much aware of how powerful his allies are. And of the shark behind them. It continues to keep pace. Its course plated back now breaks the surface. It is clearly a monster of over 75 ft in length! It opens its jaws showing off thousands of sharp teeth and a roar can be heard that shakes the craft. Several bits of board and plank shake free from the fierce winds and the power of the creature’s roar.

“We can not outrun the beast Captain Stevens. To have your mage’s wind blow harder would tear the craft apart.”

“We can not give up. There is always a way Captain Bennaton.”

“Who said I was giving up?” The Captain of the ship snarls in both rage and pain that it was suggested he would give up. “Have your mage direct us toward that island. There are reefs there. We should clear them but I doubt the beast will.”

The winds slow for a moment then suddenly they twist and yank the ship to the West. Vander snarls. Sweating in obvious pain he tries to hold his ground. Christina goes over. She sees his muscles bunching up- trying to tear free from his very bones. However, so long as he exerts this pressure she can not help him.

“Oh dear god- the captain means to run the beast into the reefs!” squeaks the man in the crow’s nest. Megamania turns and sees the layers of light and dark before the craft. Thinking of his experiences on jet skis and other boats, he tries to guess the depth of the water. For a man whom does not believe in gods he calls out often using holy words.

Then he holds on with BOTH hands.

The winds wipe up the waters over the reef making it difficult to see the underwater reef. All aboard fear for the desperate move but know they need to trust their captain. A scrap here and a thud there reveal the depth is not enough but may work. The Jaws of Sorrow Goes airborne as it leaps over the first row of coral growth. Its full 80ft by 35ft form is visible in the early morning light. As it twists, seemly in slow motion, the scars of past battles won are visible. It has a white stomach with a gray and black top. Thick scales or plates grow on it.

This is no ordinary shark. It is abnormal…mutated even. To quote Megamania- “ …that is the biggest and ugliest M*********** he has ever seen in or out of water.

A great burst of water and coral explodes out of the water as the beast lands and propels itself into the next line of reef. Chucks of meat are torn free as the collection of millions of years of growth by the shelled creatures is broken and blasted by the impact. An audible roar can be heard as the creature thrashes about before quieting down. To most it seems the creature has finally been defeated. To Jean and Megamania however, they can see its dark form slowly swim in and out of the canals between the coral. It is looking for a means out.

Then a sudden and violent crunch is heard. Megamania holds on for his life. The man in the nest with him is thrown nearly over the edge. Megamania grabs him by his belt. The man loses his pants but was able to grab ropes thus saving his own life.

Vander and most everyone else has been thrown to the deck. The Captain caught the 1st mate from going over. Several crewmembers and the three women look behind the ship and see several planks reach the surface along with stirred up pieces of broken coral.

Captain Bennaton, one knee, looks sternly at the Captain. “We are taking on water and will not go much further.”

The ship, now taking sinking while moving, strikes another coral bed. This time it becomes caught and grounded. Seeing the situation and reacting instantly, Jean casts her winds away from the ship so as not to topple it. She wills herself to fly as little stitched on wings near her ankles sprout and flap. She looks about for the monster and can not see it. It has either found deep water or moved out of the reefs.

An island can be seen about 2 miles away. It is large with high jagged mountains hidden partially in the mists and clouds. Jean flies down to report her findings and to see what she can do next.

“We must abandon her and try for the island sir” states the 1st mate. Looking at the distance and wondering if they can make it.

“Aye…but I fear we have few boarding ships. I can only bring about half the crew at a time and that still leaves our new passengers.”

“I will see to my team captain Bennaton. Take the women if you can. We can try to cover you.”

“Jean!” The Captain calls out. I need to confirm something with you.

Megamania stays in the nest. He notes the presence of two “regular” sharks. Though about ten feet long he thinks little of them. He is looking for the grand poppa of them. He doesn’t see the men looking to use the boarding craft.

Christina heals Vander’s ravished arm and shoulder muscles. She is amazed by his resilience. He had at least four major muscle groupings tear holding the line yet he never called out or let go. There was something amazing about this man. Truly amazing.

The men quickly draw lots for the first boat. Many wish to stay with their captain whom refuses to go first.
The three women climb in. Jilliannna looks up at the crow’s nest. Concern is written on her face. The first two boarding boats set off. The others split off to complete their assigned duties. Most try to pail out and block the water though it is a lost cause. Others ready weapons and small portions of supplies. Captain Bennaton goes into his office asking for his 1st mate and Captain Stevens to join him.

Several hours go by. Then another several hours. Megamania can not help himself. He continues to watch for trouble and thinks about what could have been done differently. Why didn’t Jean go with the smaller crafts? She could have propelled them and protected them. Why didn’t he have Jean blast the damned beast from the water with her lightning? Maybe Vander could have mind****** it into thinking it was guppy. However, he knew better than to say anything. The two Captains saved their lives up to this point. The race on the reefs seem to be working. It cost them the ship but the godzilla of sharks couldn’t get past. Still, it bothered his pessimistic soul that he lost track of the beast.

Finally, come evening, they feared the worst. It was up to them to get off the ship and to the island in relative safety. The others may be lost.

Jean worked on spells and began to create thick sheets of ice to stand on. Vander worked his psionic powers to create a sail on the iceberg by forcing a hole into the center and planting a pole with a sail on it. Christina kept components for spells on hand. She feared the beast was also alive and still hunting.

Finally, as the sun began to set they prepared to leave. Megamania began to climb down the rope ladder from the crow’s nest when he saw it. “ho-ly ****” he whispered “INCOMING!!!!!”

With that, the water, boat and coral seemly explode as the 35ft wide mouth of the Jaws of Sorrow burst through the water striking coral and ship alike. It is airborne and its plated tail becomes caught in the riggings that Megamania was just in. When he cried his warning he dove over the edge in the direction of the list of the ship.

The ship was torn free from the coral taking several crewmembers with it. Tangled in the lines, the beast thrashed and crushed and cut men in two. Its hard hide broke the ship and coral alike apart.

The Captain, on the ice barge, tried to save as many floating men as possible. Vander too, hauled men, including Captain Bennaton and the 1st mate up quickly. Something tugged on the line that once held the ice to the ship. Preparing for a new menace, Vander braced himself. Instead, Christina crawled up the line. She had prepared the spell of Waterbreathing and survived the initial attack. Getting her heavy armored body onto the slick ice was another thing. Megamania swam to them and by using hidden small throwing knives, clawed his way onto the iceberg.

Feeling the beast would be free shortly of the crushed ship; Jean began to rain lightning bolts onto the creature. Hundreds of small fish and a few men bobbed to the surface. The creature burst weakly onto the coral. Steam rising from its body with no less than eight scorch marks on it. The black dead eyes gave no hint to its grasp of life. Within its maw were thousands of teeth in jagged rows. Bits of rigging, ship and even limbs could be seen within. Its movements ended and the people hurried to escape the scene.

In the two miles they had to travel- no one felt relaxed enough to sit or not stare at the reef or the island that seemed so small and tiny compared to the beast.

SEGMENT 024
“Vander’s Last Swim”

The ice started out as being over 15 feet around. Now there is only room for the injured on the small 5x5 section. The five heroes, Captain Bennaton, his first mate and three crewmembers are all that remain. As feared, the crew found remains of the boarding vessel. It was broken up and a large 6in long shark tooth was found embedded in a floating board. Everyone was quiet for over an hour after finding this.

The sky was beginning to brighten on the far away horizon when they first saw it. A shark’s fin cutting through the water. It was a “normal” shark in comparison to the Jaws of Sorrow. Jean cut it down quickly using her deadly control over weather. The shark was killed instantly as daggers of ice sliced into it. The bad thing was as it died, other fins exploded to the surface to feed on the newest source of bloody flesh.

Then the truly horrifying thing happened. An explosion of red, white and gray came from below the surface. A thunderous crash resounded as the Jaw of Sorrow returned to the waters with a mouthful of sharks.

Christina of the Mace calls everyone together to the ice. She casts Blade Barrier and hopes for the best. The creature swims slowly at the swirling mass that cuts through the water before it. The blades strike hard and deep causing the beast to back off causing a large wave that pushes the ice away…. towards the blades. Christina, frustrated, calls off her spell.

They are close to the island now. They can hear the water rushing onto the shore. The silence is deafening as nothing but a call of a seagull can be heard for 2 minutes. These two minutes feel like an eternity to the people in the water. Then it reappears.

The Jaw of Sorrow surfaces about 1500 ft away. It turns to face them then slowly begins to swim to them. Much of it’s back is exposed and above the surface. Everyone begins a mad dash for shallow water. A creature of that size will need 15 feet of water to move. They hope to make it.

Jean swims ahead then slows down. It is up to her. She has but one Lightning spell left. If she supercharges it (Max Damage Metafeat) and fires it into it’s open mouth…ashen at the thought, she turns to face her enemy. She will feel some of this charge, as she is in water herself. Vander, using his Float power again, notices her and turns back to her.

“Don’t do this Jean. Go back. Allow me to face it.”

“You can’t stop that thing with your falchion Vander. Are you crazy?!?” She regrets saying that as it becomes apparent to her that he may indeed is crazy.

He turns to face the open-mouthed beast as it swims at him. He clutches his powerful falchion once more. His plan is simple. It is armor plated on the outside. What about the inside?

The sound of the water rushing is clear now. A slight echo of the water rushing within the large mouth can be heard. 100 ft….75ft…50ft….25ft…..10ft

“IN THE NAME OF GENERAL IRIKOS- I DEFY YOUR POWER AND WILL!!!! GIVE ONTO ME YOUR BEST SHOT!!!!!!!”

Vander rises out of the water, levitated by the raw power and determination of his mind. He strikes his falchion into the side of the mouth trying for it’s undead black emotionless eye. He uses the leverage of the stuck in falchion and the beasts powerful momentum to pull himself up and cuts off his power landing on it’s colossal head.

“DIE VILE CREATURE. DIE AGAIN AT THE HANDS OF VANDER. VANDER STORMBRINGER!”

And with that, he begins to attack with all his might. He cuts out chunks of flesh and finds himself stepping into the grayish red hole to begin again. He reaches the creature’s cartilage frame and smiles as he cracks it with a psionically charged blast.

Then he knows nothing.

He can feel the cool morning air on his face as it rushes by. Then a sense of weightlessness. Then the weight of the world pulls at him as he falls.

The blast of impact knocks the very air from his lungs. It is just as well as he sinks quickly. At ten feet he rests on the bottom of the cove.

Stunned and half-wanting to die, he just lays there, drowning, accepting his fate. It takes the combined strength of Megamania and Jean to gather him from the sandy floor and push for the surface. On shore, Christina awaits for him knowing he needs her medical attention.

As she begins a primitive version of CPR Megamania huffs and puffs. Trying to catch his breath, he finally slips out a “lucky guy” as her lips go to his again. Vander coughs and coughs again before opening his eyes. “….is…it dead?”

=========================================================================
Two days later, Captain Amber-eye is sailing his pirate vessel through the Sea of Sorrows. His ship is running slow with a heavy load of stolen gold and treasures. Unknown to his crew, he plans on poisoning their drink once at their hidden island cave. This king’s ransom will be his and his alone.

Unknown to him however, something is following his ship. It is enormous and deadly. A new fresh soft white scab has formed over its left eye near the brow of the creature. Vander’s mark of heroic effort. Before the creature hunted ships for a special reason beyond it’s understanding. Now it hunts looking for a certain metal man that carries a powerful cutting tooth.

SEGMENT 025
“Marooned”

“Any idea where we are?” asked Megamania. The rogue was picking up his clothes from the branches. He set them out to dry after his forced swim from the shipwreck to the shore of this large but simple island. They washed up on a shore of fine white grained sand. The sun sparkled on the blue water. He couldn’t help but to compare it to a Caribbean paradise. Without the rum that is.

“There are many islands located here in the Sea of Sorrows. Many don’t even have a name. I suspect we are close to Markovia. The mists are not as full as legend would have it if this is where we are.” Answers Captain Bennaton. The captain looked haunted. He loved his ship and when the monstrous Jaws of Sorrow destoried it, a part of him was destoried also.

The Captain, a near superheroic figure, listens to Bennaton carefully. He has learned to believe in and even rely on magic and pure faith in the past few months. It is a new way for him. He is used to the technology of radio tubes and the weapons and means of World War Two. Sometimes, he thinks he is the primitive compared to the incredible feats Jean and Christina have done. Even Vander’s power of the mind is amazing to him. He weighs everything carefully now. Nothing is to be taken for granted anymore. Normally, he would figure the three women sent to the island first to be dead. However, one of the sailors that went on their craft washed up on their shore. Before dying of his ravaged wounded he stuttered her name several times with wide unseeing eyes. Perhaps they yet live but are either on a different island or at least a different shore. He wanted to search for them quickly but knew he needed to establish a base of operations and do a headcount of survivors. It was small number.

Survivors at this point included; Captain Bennaton, his first mate, two sailors and The Captain’s team, his Strikeforce to borrow a term. Megamania, a rogue from the future. Vander Stormbringer, a heavily armored warrior of mind and body. Jean the Stormwielder, a sorcerer that controls weather. And Christina of the Mace whom is a traveler and priest of the very goddess that sent them here. They are here to gather lost artifacts of power that would be required to empower a mad god looking to undo the fabric of reality.

Bored and in need of doing something, Jim (a.k.a. Megamania) moves away from the men solemnly discussing their situation. It seemed like such a cliché to him. He was shipwrecked on a tropical island. He wondered where Gilligan was. While walking and thinking about “what kind of name is Gilligan” he fails to notice that he is being watched from the brush. Its long blue fingers seem to blend and morph with the terrain making it nearly invisible.

“Jean!” He calls out. Then “Christina!”

He slows down to listen for a moment. Nothing. “Where are my girls at” he says aloud.

“WE are here Jim. YOUR girls I know nothing of” answers back Jean from a quickly made shelter of driftwood and pieces of the ship. “No closer either- Christina is praying.”

“Praying? Its kinda too late for that isn’t it?”

“She used many divine spells last night and this morning trying to defeat and survive the monstrous shark. It would be best to leave her be and let her finish.” Jean was a tall slender redhead with a deeply tanned skin tone. She grew up on the seas then later within a city port. She was a unique in outlook as in appearance. She allows tried to avoid fatal attacks unless directly threatened in like fashion. However, with her incredibly deadly use of lightning, she could strike down most any opponent within a few minutes. It both scared and humbled him while he found her exciting.

This is when he noticed Christina’s armor, clothes AND undergarments neatly stacked to dry near the shelter. He couldn’t help himself. She was naked and he needed to see her. Christina was shorted and a bit more solid in figure than Jean. She was something of a tomboy. He continued to walk by hoping to catch a glimpse. Then he nearly jumped out of his bodysuit. Momma, Christina’s black cat, hissed at him. It was as if she knew he was up to no good. God- how he hated that cat sometimes. Bending down to pretend to pat the cat he looked to see if he could catch a quick look. Instead he felt cold. VERY cold. “Move along Jim.” Jean says as she makes it snow on him. Like a bad cartoon, the dark snowy cloud follows him as he turns back to the others.

During this time, Vander has finally accepted the deep scratches on his armor will not go away by wiping them with a rag lovingly. The scaly hide of the beast had actually caused some damage to his psionic-enhanced armor. This was twice now his armor was damaged in combat. It took hours of work both physically and mentally to work out the deep dents caused by the Brute Master. This Ogre of incredible strength and hulking mass nearly crushed him within his armor. He will never forget the raw strength of the creature.

“Jean and Christina are praying further down the beach. I suspect it would be better to wait for them here. I don’t think they want to be disturbed.” Comments Jim to the two Captains. “Do we have a plan of action?”

“ We will follow the shoreline first. We may find a village or landmark. We can learn which island we are on and maybe how to get off and reach our final destination in the Sea of Sorrows.”

The two sailors are smirking and having a good joke among themselves. Jim asks and The Captain tells him to drop it. He won’t. “What are you laughing at?” Megamania demands.

The men quiet down and scowl at him. “What???”

The Captain speaks up first. “It is your…manner of clothing. It is…unique. Even for us.”

Jim looks down and at his body. He is wearing his body suit. A skintight body suit. He gets it and grumbles and gathers his blue jeans and pulls them on. “Happy?”

The two men laugh together and The Captain tells him to get his stuff. They are leaving soon.

The six men and two women begin a long walk along the shore. They stop occasionally to bury remains of crewmembers and inspect cargo for use. All along, they are watched and studied from the jungle.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Great updates Megamania!
I've never actually seen any (non-pirate) aquatic threats used before, so loved the mental imagery of the colossal shark just battering away massive reef ridges to get to it's hapless prey, oh btw GO VANDER!

The humour in the Marooned post doesn't go astray either- a change of pace breaks things up nicely!

SEGMENT 026
“Native Hostilities or Life is a Beach”

The beach was long and pebbled with black bits of volcanic rock. The whiteness of the sand and the pure blue of the water with green vegetation created a strong visual impression of paradise to Jim. He had seemed to become accustomed to the idea of being stranded on an island on some freaky world of doom and gloom. It seemed normal to him now.

Lost in his thoughts, he misses the figure peering at him from the jungle. It is trying to hide in the thick ferns and bushes while watching him and his teammates. Its blue skin allows it to blend in with the shadows very well. As he nods his head at a personal thought or decision, so does it. Is it mimicking his actions or mirroring his thoughts he will possibly never know.

Adaptability. Jim remembers Sgt. Reynolds on that day. It was the closest he ever came to a compliment. Jim was in his third year of the Pathfinder Division of something so secret, the NSA only had rumors of its existence. The results of Jim’s physical and mental tests were in. The Sarge was a hard man and even harder on the people under him. He looked over the results and then handed the file to Jim. “You Adapt well.” Was all he said before leaving Jim alone with his file in the enclosed and locked room. After Jim finished reading the file, it would be “disposed” of. Adaptability.

That strength didn’t do much for him when the dreams of a world conqueror of grim rational began. The dreams haunted him for several weeks. Then he saw patterns. Patterns that suggested something to him he did not agree with. There was a god and he was a chosen one. Chosen for what? To destroy the person created to test and challenge the world. Vandal Boc. He failed that mission. Failed it well. In his pursuit of getting answers to his dreams he was dishonorably discharged, the government tried to kill him, his girl friend turned out to be…something else and learned something of Area 51. Then he died. Life can be a b-

“Jim? Christina to Jim. You alright?”

“Hmm? Oh yeah.” He says immediately putting his frown and brooding thoughts away. “I was just thinking how life is a beach.”

“Excuse me?” she said.

Jim is surprised. She is dressed in leather armor now. No heavy platemail and yet she looks hot as if still in it. “Look around you. Life is a beach. You can create a world of sandcastles and yet, the water, blue and clear will come in and erode it away. Then you build it again. Eventually, tired of rebuilding, you move into the great unknown- the jungle. There you build again. But the water- its dangers and its beauty, are missing and thus it is not the same.”

“You think entirely too much and are truly a strange man to know.” She says smiling.

Jim feels the presence of Momma now. He looks over and stares at Christina’s black cat. It stares at him just as intently.

“You know- I think your cat is either highly overprotective of you or just plain jealous.”

“You have no idea” she comments looking over at her cat. “She and I have had many adventures together and apart. She is much more to me than a cat.” She finishes strongly and with conviction. The cat turns its back to them and sits there twitching its tail.

“Do you like the look?” she asks.

“The look?”

“The armor. It is Glamored. Go ahead and feel it.” She offers her arm, which Jim takes with a smile that rapidly disappears on contact.

“That’s still your knights armor!”

“Platemail. I am no knight. Yes. The appearance changes only. Roger... the Captain…thought I should try to blend in more. He thinks we are being watched.”

“Well them- lets give them a show” He gets up and together they join the team whom are resting in a shaded area near a spot where fresh water meets the salt water of the Sea of Sorrows.

Together, Megamania (aka Jim) leads the group up the fresh water stream. They hope to find a village or signs of occupation, which they have yet to find. Now Jim feels it too. They are not alone. Someone or something is watching them.

Then he sees it! A footprint in the soft sand. Looks to be human! The others gather around and agree. They will continue up the stream looking for the person who made the track.

It is now early evening and the jungle is beginning to suck up the light. A high canopy is beginning to cover up the water and bits of trail. Using his tracking skills and alternating between normal vision and darkvision he follows the trail. Five others now accompany the lone human. The six of them seem to be aware of their tracks and try to hide them. He also figures that they are avoiding being seen…from the trees. When the trees are close to the water the men move into the stream.

It is about now that he realizes he is not alone.

“uh…Hi.” Is all he says to a large muscular man wearing nearly no clothes. He has a spear in one arm and a club with a coral head on it in the other. Despite his savage and primitive appearance, Jim can see his intelligence in the eyes. Looking into his eyes, he also realizes there are now others behind him. “Uh…take me to your leader?”

Her glamored armor is loud but not as loud as Vander’s. Her soft leather soled boots were crafted by elves from Evermet. She is very quiet when she wants to. Vander was never one for stealth. The large psychic warrior from the world of Athas is very up front when it comes to combat. His armor bangs and clunks on the rocks sticking out of the water. Jean, the sorcerer of weather from Kalamar, suggested he remove his skin and leg guards but Vander would nothing of it. He felt it may disrupt his psionic enhancements on it. Psionics was a balance of mind and body. This same balance went to items embued with mental energy. He pats his large falchion as he says this and unnoticed by all, nods to Christina and her Heavy Mace.

“Captain… something is wrong.” Cautions Christina looking over her shoulder. She- I don’t see Jim ahead and it is very quiet suddenly.”

And with that heavy roped nets drop from the trees around them entangling them. All but one. Momma, Christina’s black cat silently disappears into the thick foliage. Then multiple shapes appear from the trees. Monstrous creatures!

They have long plated shells covering dozens of legs. Each leg ends in small but strong claws. Looking to the front of the body, one sees a semi- human façade. Multiple black emotionless eyes stare back. Mandibles clack from the cheeks to the mouth. A syrupy white foamy substance drips from the mouths. Several have large clubs and move quickly to quell any resistance from the heroes.

Captain Bennaton and his surviving crew merely waits knowing the strangers can deal with this. The captain grabs the nets and pulls hard. Cords snap and knots undo. Vander merely draws his heavy weapon. Its keen edge slices the rope with a mere touch. Christina wills her armor to change to its proper appearance and prepares for the closest creatures to approach. Jean calls on a wind that begins to grow. The creatures stop as if frozen.

They look at the humans they captured and easily they escaped their nets. They see the branches of their trees and cover wave and lose leaves as a strong wind redirects itself through the tree’s upper branches. This exposes another three hidden creatures.

The creatures turn tail and run away by leaping from tree to tree.

Jim wonders why he is being so patient. It is not his way. The dirty smelly and frankly disgusting men are talking about something. Listening very hard, Jim picks up a crude version of common. Grunts, whistles and body movements with a few words of common seem to be their native tongue.

Jim then wonders what is keeping the others. He was only a few minutes ahead of the others. A strong breeze that carries large leaves answers him. They are under attack also. Okay. No more playing nice.

Jim smiles a fun loving smile under his padded facemask before leaping into action.

SEGMENT 027
“Conflict”

“Is that skylab?”

The brutish man looks to the sky. The others also. Megamania slips out his clubs and hides them between his forearms and thighs. “Guess not. Oh say- is that Britney Spears?”

The man looks quickly but then right back at him. Primitive yes. Dumb no. “No games black skin. We go now.”

Megamania leaps up in a dramatic and cinematic pose of his heels touching and his legs tight under him. His arms trail below him with the ionic charged billy clubs falling into place. He swings narrowly missing the big man. Megamania is already twisting as he lands on a rock and springs into an attack at another man whom has his spear held low- not ready. Not looking to kill the man, he strikes his hand instead. With a great yelp- the man drops his spear and clutches his broken hand. The others leap in to cut off Megamania from escape. Each try to hit him but either outright miss or the thin but incredibly absorbent armor takes it.

Seeing these men are no longer concerned about not harming him (never crosses his mind that he started it) he lets lose on a new target. The first strike is stunning. The second shatters teeth. The third merely clears the body out of his way. The other swings and misses. Some narrowly missing striking their own teammates.

Always one to do something unexpected, Megamania now pushes off a rock and rolls backward under the swinging weapons of the men. The men turn- each aware this black skinned devil is too quick for them. They begin to whistle and howl loudly. Megamania is a complete fool. Reinforcements are coming. He gives a final one-finger salute before running into the thick forest.

He sprints back to where the group should be. He finds a torn net. Looking further, he finds what can be only Vander’s heavy armored weight induced tracks. He was moving quickly…. into the jungle.

He moves as quickly as he can while remaining hidden and tracking Vander. The chase reaches a rocky slope. He tracks Vander by looking for scratches and scuff marks. He finds these and more. Something else moved through here that scratched the rock. The marks are old and new. Peering down, he sees movement below at the bottom and a large hole.

“Wait Jim.”

“Okay…….huh?” He looks around but sees no one. Christina’s cat is nearby looking down also. Her tail twitches rapidly in annoyance. He stares at the cat long and hard. “Nah.” And goes back to watching below.

A thick mist billows and crawls out of the hole. The figures below move away in alarm. They look like centipedes but with a human torso. The mist bursts to the sky as Jean flies to the sky. Christina follows next carrying a man. A black highly discus blasts out next striking two creatures before returning to the mist where the Captain and Captain Bennaton emerge. Then very slowly Vander rises above the mist and begins to throw small gems randomly. They explode on impact. ALL of the creatures flee now. All but one. This one stares at Christina. Her mandibles slow as if in shock. A broken “Christy?” comes out.
The black cat bounds down to Christina in a hurry.

Christina of the Mace falters. She heard her name. The name she answered to as a child. Tears well up in her eyes as she lands.

“no…dear goddess of the realities…no…take this away…………”

SEGMENT 028
“Christina’s Curse”

The sun drops very low as the Defenders of the Multiverse sit around a fire. They are nervous and uneasy. In the past two hours they were attacked by barbarians (as suggested by Jim) and attempted to be captured by insectiod creatures. Both failed. However, one of the creatures recognized Christina Van Culterdoss. She acted as if she had known her most of her life. Christina broke down in sobbing tears and kneeled before the creature begging for mercy and the curse to end. Long painful moments went by. One of the creatures returned to the trap area and spoke quietly and softly to the other. Everyone, with very few words spoken, left together and came to a cave. Going through the cave, they found it emptied into a small basin with water and trees. A few dozen of these creatures were there and all stopped at the sight of the humans.
Christina, trailed by her cat, went to an area away from prying eyes and ears as the others sat and were offered food, water and a place around a small fire.

As expected, Jim is the first to speak. “What gives?”

The Captain gives a sharp and stern look at him. “It is not your business Lt. Addards. Let it go.”

Jim is about to give him a what for when Jean speaks up. “Her pain and emotions were real enough. She will tell us when she is ready. Please Jim, if you care for her, let her be until she is ready.”

Jim sucks in air quickly for a long and loud response when a heavy armored hand rests on his shoulder. He looks up at Vander and his face. Vander slowly shakes his head no. “Let it be Jim.”

In a huff, Jim sits back and crosses his arms. “Pheowy”

A scuffing sound has everyone turn. A large insectiod walks to them. In a broken clik-clak influenced voice it speaks to them.

“Welcome. I am Chat-tik. I am the spokesperson of my people when Sara is not available. Sara is with your…Christy. I have questions for you and I guess you of me. I give you first question.” He bows low with his arms out and to the sides.

Megamania sits up quickly but Vander’s strong arm pushes him back and holds him firmly. He nods to the Captain, their leader and current spokesperson.

“Thankyou for your kindness and hospitality,” looking at the deep chink and crack in Chat-tik’s armor, “I apologize for any injury we caused you and your people. I am Roger Stevens. I travel also with Captain Bennaton, Mattdew and Kallo. They are the survivors of his crew. The others are my teammates and friends. Vander Stormbringer, Jean and Lt Jim Addards. Christina Van Culterdoss is also with us. For my first question I ask you this- where are we?”

“The real question you want to ask but wish to be polite is ‘how’. To answer you, we are on the small island of Bellfore between the regions of Markovia and Dominia. The how….we are the Condemned. My birth name was William Van Dorn. I was once a fisherman in Markovia. I am uncertain of all the details, but there is a madman in our nation that has created a large monstrous creature. It killed and destroyed most of the village of Timberra. The few of us that survived took to our fishing boats and fled. On the waters we all became ill. In the course of the next two days we grew weaker and weaker. We took to the area saved for our daily catch and…. Rested. We awoke covered in thick white fibers in our current appearance. Our ship ran around here and with our hands now resembling pincers, we could not repair the ship or leave the island. We are condemned to this island of cannibals.”

“Cannibals?” asks Jim.

“Yes, the men native to this island eat anything they can, including their dead. We battle daily for the food and resources found on this island.”

It is a lot to take in but the group tries to accept it. After everything they have seen, heard and experienced in the past few months, anything is truly possible.

“Captain Bennaton…you had a ship? Did it have a sailor with a tattoo of a kraken on his back?”

The three survivors all answer the same- “Frooze!”

“In the morning, we saw them catch several men and three women of finer dress, a lady and her servants perhaps.”

“We must rescue them! The thought of cannibals….” Captain Bennaton lets it drop not needing to finish his sentence.

Christina and Sara join the group.

“Captains, Chat-tik, friends and crew. I need to introduce someone to you and tell you something about myself. Something dark.” Her face is sad and ashen. Jean and the Captain make a space for both of them to sit. Her black cat makes a point of hopping onto her lap and rub against her hand and face for support.

“As you know, I originated on the core plane of Ravenloft. As such, there can be many of me and many of you on your respected core planes of existence. What you may not know is what makes this plane different from others…horribly different. There are dark powers here that influence the world. These powers give strength to beings of a twisted and tortured soul. They also give limited power to those in pain and anger. This power is usually worked as a curse. Words of anger and pain take on a life of their own on the Ravenloft worlds.” She stops in stifle a tear and rubs the ears of her cat. She looks onto her shoulder and pats it as if something was there.

Jean moves closer and places her hand on Christina’s knee for support. The others, even Jim, are patient. It is obvious that whatever Christina has to say is painful and hard to speak of.

“During one of my battles, a Ghoul Lord cursed me. He cursed my then dying mother and me. He seemed to know more about me than he realized when he drew on the corrupt power of the world. I…I am cursed to always….always meet my mother and…” She can not say it. She wants to say that she will always meet her mother and she will die under strange conditions but can not. Afterall, her mother is alive and with her currently…even if she has be transformed into a large centipede. Before any can press the question, a shimmering form appears behind her. Sara Van Culterdoss. She breaks down into heaving sobs and Jean holds her.

The black cat hopes down and takes a few steps before sitting straight and proper. “I am Sara Van Culterdoss.” Jim literally falls off his log seat.

Vander quietly speaks up. “…and the Mace…Sara Culterdoss?”

“Yes”

“And I am Sara Culterdoss …of this..er..world also.” Clicks out the insectiod trying to comfort her daughter whom she thought she lost on that fateful night in Timberra.

SEGMENT 029
“The Captain’s Moment of Rage or how to humble a megalomaniac”

Christina has gone to bed. It has been a hard evening for her.

The others are quiet but know they need to do something. There are crew and passagers being threatened by cannibals whom are already at conflict with Christina’s….mother.

“My crew and the three lady passengers are my responsibility. I must try to help them.”

“As a Captain of a different crew I understand and appreciate your concern. We will help you. I promise you that.”

“Yo- Cap….I like the idea of rescuing damsels in distress also but really- what then? How do we get off the island?”

“Perhaps Chat-tik may know something. He was a fisherman of the area and may know many secrets.”

“Ayeee….me hartees….I bet he does.”

“That is enough Jim. We do not need your sarcasm.” Answers the Captain sharply.

“Yeah…whatEVER.”

“Still your tongue” answers Vander. His eyes tear into Jim.

“No be still yourself!” He stands up quickly making both Vander and the Captain tense up for a moment. “I am going crazy! I was even before all this crap but now I find out that our team of five is really a team of 8! And three of these are the one and same person but from different worlds..sorry…realities. Its f****** insane!”

“Your cursing has got to stop. There are women here. I will not have it.” Answers the Captain.

“Or WHAT? You gonna wash my mouth out with soap?”

“And gives with the curse cr…sh**? Anyway” he rewords it directly at the Captain.

“There are no such thing as curses. Its all this magic sh**! It’s messing with us. Its unnatural.”

“Jim…you have no idea what you just said. I think it would be best for you to sit down…. Now.”

Ignoring the Captain completely Jim lets his entire anger, frustration and fear spill out. “Curses only work if you believe in them. I don’t f****** believe in them!”

Vander tenses. He can feel the emotions telepathically. Jim has reached his breaking point and the Captain….

“You want a f****** curse? I’ll give you a m************ curse! The string of creative curses, slangs and other words that grandma would faint dead away from pours out in a rage. “There- now you are cursed to ******************************************************************************* and like it!”

Whack.

Thud.

The Captain tells everyone it is time to rest and relax. Tomorrow we have people to save. Leave him be.

Jim Addards sleeps deep and long…knocked low and unconscience in one punch.

The rest of the night went uneventful.

Last edited:

Pirate Cat and other monitors- If I went too far on that let me know so to avoid it in the future.

I'm sure the Captain can keep Jim in line. :p

If you were wondering- I suspect that if any one of "our" reality were placed into a DnD type world for real we would have a major breakdown also. I felt this last segment was overdue, especially since Jim was/is sweet on Christina and how the Captain- Lawful Good military man of the 1940s would react.

Now...back to the action.

Remove ads