Strikeforce: Morituri Part One "the Mortals" Is Completed

STRIKEFORCE: MORITURI
SEGMENT 038
“Spellfire”

It is a lifetime ago. 1988. Young Jim Addards is a senior in Arlington Memorial High School in a small state known as Vermont. Division III soccer champions for the past few years. He was never very popular with the girls. He was smart and had an athletic build but he was very self-conscience of what he said and did. Especially around girls.

His two best friends were Mike and Chad. Mike never seemed to have a problem getting a date. They just never lasted long. Chad always had a way of things working out for him. Tests he never studied for were postponed, when he needed a dollar for a soda he always found one on the ground near the machine. It was uncanny.

However, the three of them were best of friends. They hung out together, talked about girls and what to do after school daily. However, everything changed on the first day of school on their senior year. Everything changed.

A new girl came to school. Jessica was her name. Everyone wanted to be friend…or more. She was smart, beautiful and had incredible grace. Jim was attracted to her instantly. He was stunned when she asked him out on a date that next Friday.

He was on the top of the world then. Nothing could bring him down. Nothing.

Then his father died. More correctly put- he was slaughtered.

Beginning in August, there were cattle found gutted and killed. His father, the chief of police, investigated it. He must have found out something. In late September, he was found dead in a field. Gutted just like the cattle he was investigating.

Jim was shattered. He ignored his two best friends and found solitude only in the arms of Jessica. By mid October, Mike and Chad were suspicious…or was it jealous? Anyway- they looked around Jessica’s house. Mike had a side hobby of studying things of the occult. Fairies seemed to be a favorite. He looked around after hearing about the mystery of Jessica’s mother. She disappeared and was never seen again on October 31st the prior year. What they found in the basement scared them.

They went to warn Jim. He wouldn’t listen. They were wrong.

They went back later to get proof. Instead a biker wearing chainmail that smelt of burnt animal parts found them.

They also saw Jessica…in a trance…being spoken to by her father. Her father was no mere lawyer. He followed the occult. The bad kind.

On the 31st of October, Jim went to Jessica’s house. She seduced him and they made love. Then he remembers smelling something evil…a sharp pain to the base of his skull was all he remembered after that.

Now nighttime, he awoke to find himself tied to a stake near a fire in the woods. Beside him was Mike and Chad also staked. A few persons in robes watched in respect to the three of them. Soon chanting began and Jessica’s father came forth. Jessica also.

She was in a trance…her eyes never blinked, her lips never wavered. No emotion at all.

The lawyer began his ritual. He spoke words arcane and evil while holding up a knife with runes on it. First he pricked the arm of Chad. He allowed the blood to collect on it before moving to Mike. The same was done to him. Finally he came to Jim. He was pricked and the blood of the three were mixed and smeared onto Jim’s face. He then turned to Jessica in a threatening way.

This is when things went from crazy to absolutely insane. A surge of energy began to rise in Jim. He broke free and beat off the worshippers. He then chased the lawyer into the woods. The lawyer fell onto a downed pine tree. A sharp branch pierced his chest. It killed him instantly.

When Jim returned, only Mike and Chad, still bound, remained. Mike didn’t understand everything said but suggested we were agents of something larger than mankind. We were Chance, Charm and the Chosen.
The ritual was designed to boost Jim somehow. To make him be all three then to kill him.

That warmth... that surge was similar to the feeling he had when struck down by Jean. It forced memories long buried and ignored to surface. He was the Chosen one back in 1988. He had been given the powers of Chance and Charm. He had the power of…Spellfire.

Ravenloft: Now

“hurm…? What happened?”

“Oh by the gods! You’re alright!” Christina hugs him. Her mere touch causes elderich energy to leak from the pores of his skin.

“For being dead…I feel pretty good.”

“As much as I hate you folks doing this without consulting with me first- there’s a ship out there now…” adds in the Captain knowing this was not the best time but necessary.

Jim, his shirt tattered, climbs up to the top. The ship is close enough he can see the sails without the binoculars. He looks at the others, Christina especially, and shrugs.

He tenses up and sinks to the ground. His melodramatic personality kicking in,

“Narrrrrrrraaaaaargh!” he shouts as he raises his fists above his head in sign of emotional release. Blinding light shots out from him. It is brighter than the sun.

“Aye there Captain… what is that?” asks a crewmember on a passing ship.

SEGMENT 039
“The Ring of Darqueness”

The crew of the Bare Sea maiden was very surprised to see four flying figures, each carrying several others to them from the mist. Fortunately, the Captain of this ship knew of Captain Bennaton and allowed passage to their destination.

It was not long after reaching the port that the guards came. The strangely garbed champions, now complimented with a glowing man in tattered black clothes, stood out. They were taken to a holding cell until the government decided what to do. To mess with their minds, Jim unlocked his door and sat waiting for them. The look on the guards’ face was priceless when he the door swung open on its own.

The Champions of Infiniti, now gathered once more met before the governor. He was a proud large man. His hands showed that he was a fisherman long before becoming a political figure. He listened to the Captain carefully and thought about every word spoken. All the while, members of the council, including his son and daughter, watched with visible nervousness.

Their nervousness went into pure shock when the governor agreed to GIVE them the ring. The son was most noticeably disbelieving this. The ring was said to be dangerous and even evil. Was his father merely trying to be rid of it?

As they walked through a series of underground tunnels and chambers, the Governor and the Captain finalized the accord. The ring was to be theirs if they do but one thing…. destroy the Jaws of Sorrow.

The creature had sunk many ships in the past months. Many of which were his or carried his money. He was near losing everything due to this creature. It was as if it purposely attacked anything of value to him.
Finally reaching a large vault deep underground. He set a series of levers and switches to deactivate the locks and wards. The door opened and…. Inside was no ring.

Someone has stolen the Ring of Darqueness. A master thief to avoid all of the traps and wards.

Captain Bennaton was sitting down with his beer and relaxing. For his part, he was going to get a new craft. He decided it was time for a good and long drink. Especially since the servant at the Governors house showed interest in him.

She was very proper and ignored them all while tending to one of the councilors. Then the Captain saw her ring. It was distinctive. It was a ¾ circle with a straight edged star shining within it. He had only seen such a symbol and ring once before. It belonged to a noble woman on his ship when it was attacked by the Jaws of Sorrow.

After mentioning it, she seemed to warm up to him and invited him to a drink when she was off that night. He readily agreed.

In she came, everyone stopped and looked at her. She was more than beautiful. She was a predator. She sat down before the now nervous Captain. “Errr aww…Maybe I was too forward and misled you lass”

“No Captain Francis Edward Bennaton. I was the one. Too bad you recognized the ring. I do so treasure it. I can’t bring myself to remove it from one disguise to another. But you and you only remembered it. That is too bad for you.”

Her eyes sparkle and glow. He jaw goes slack and his eyes roll back. Psychic energy invisibly seeps from his ears and mouth. “Have a good and long dream.”

“Again?”

“Excuse me Jim?” answers an aggravated Captain.

“The ring is missing but we are still going to deal with the Jaws meets Godzilla beastie?”

“Yes. Do you have a problem with this?”

“Well- YES. We will die and for what?”

“Because it is right. It is the correct thing to do.” Adds Jean.

The Captain sucks in a deep breath through his nose and lets it out slowly. Christina wonders if she will get to see him punch out Jim this time since she missed it the first time.

“Do you consider yourself a patriot?”

“What does that have to do with it?”

“Answer the question. Do you consider yourself a patriot?” repeats the Captain.

“Yes….after a fashion.”

“You are an agent for the US government and now for Infiniti. The creator of the alternate universes. Someone wants to destroy it all. Someone that would possible find an ally in this creature. This creature that harms innocent people.”

“Save the speeches…I’ll do it.”

Jim gets up and walks to the window. Chance, Charm and the Chosen…. mixed into one. What has be become? He no longer glowed but he could see and sense things he never could before. He could feel the magical qualities on his friends’ equipment. Even Vander’s psionic goods had a different signature. It was different from magic but also different from non-magical.

If he started to have dreams of god again he was quitting.

Smiling and becoming more relaxed went back to the group.

It didn’t feel the water’s cold. It didn’t feel the salt of it. It didn’t feel at all. Its mind was too simple for that. It had a need to strike certain surface craft. It would destroy it and wait for it’s next order. Then came the Metal Man. It hurt him. His weapon bypassed its defenses. Its tooth bite deep and long into its flesh. The bright loud light bothered it but the Metal man brought it pain.

Then came a new voice in its confused mind. A voice wanting it to strike down any craft. The beast didn’t want to until it was said the Metal Man was on one of the ships. Revenge.

It ignored the softer voice for several days. It listened to the hollowed one. It spoke of revenge so sweet. Then the soft voice came back…stronger than ever. Stronger than the hollowed voice. It was to crush and destroy specific people now. One was the Metal Man.

It swam now happy to accept all the voices in its head. All agreed the Metal Man needed to die.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
W00T! Keep the good stuff coming Megamania :)
Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if a few updates were devoted to each character's past to help flesh them (and the source of their abilities?) a bit more... but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever you produce.

Look_a_Unicorn said:
W00T! Keep the good stuff coming Megamania :)
Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if a few updates were devoted to each character's past to help flesh them (and the source of their abilities?) a bit more... but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever you produce.

As the story progresses I plan on this. Megamania has been the main person thus far with some spotlighting on Christina. Look for more on her and a bunch on Vander in the next few story arcs.

Hint: megamania's ......awww that would be telling.

Gaiden

Explorer
megamania said:
Its early yet but any thoughts on the story thus far? I'm always up for input.

I really enjoy your integration of all of the different fantasy worlds and genres. I have caught everything from Forgotten Realms to Shadowrun and I am sure I am missing some. I am actually attempting to make a game that does something similar: it all begins with a multidimensional/planar strike force - sort of like the navy seals but with magic and future technology. Just the first 8 installments have already given me a lot of ideas. Keep up the awesome work.

having problems getting thru with the new system.

The original Strikeforce was more of a bounty hunter or retriever group but it fell apart. That theme may return depending on the coming events. This group is not really a "Strikeforce" as is.

Glad you are liking it.

SEGMENT 040
“Broken Tranquility”

She missed the soothing sound of water lapping against the boat side. She missed the quiet stillness of the stars in the sky and the moon at night giving a rippled reflection. She missed home.

It was very late at night and Jean the Storm Wielder could not sleep. The governor gave the Champions of Infiniti the use of a houseboat until they set sail in a larger ship being readied to commit war against the Jaws of Sorrow. Only Christina and Vander seemed to mind. Jean outright looked forward to it and secretly hoped the readying of the Sword of the Sea would be delayed a few days.

She grew up on the seas. She lived on a bamboo and reed home that was anchored in a shallow bay. She swam in the clear blue waters before she could walk. Many thought her people were as much sea elf as human. She remembered nights like this, listening to the water roll in as the tides came and went, watching larger fish try to catch shiners that would leap from the water to escape. It was a magical time.

Jean thought she could smell her mother’s scented skin cream for a moment. How she missed those days! It feels like a lifetime ago since she left the sea and settled in the city before becoming a Morituri. Vander’s heavy steps break the tranquility of it.

Though not in his prized armor, he obviously a large and heavy man. Jean begins to understand his obsession with his armor. Dressed only in breeches and his sword belt Vander’s horrid past shows itself in the form of hundreds of bodily scars. She knows enough of his past to not wish it on anyone. Not even an agent of Darqueness the Destroyer. This is when she realizes how little she knows of Vander. She knows little of everyone actually.

“Hello Vander. Peaceful night isn’t it.” She says as much in fact as a question.

Vander just looks to the sea. Then just as Jean suspects he didn’t hear her he answers her. “Too peaceful. Something is happening.”

Jean, never one to dwell on negativity tries to shift the conversation. “Have you ever been on the open seas before coming here? I grew up on the sea. I feel very much at home here.”

Vander unintentionally feels a large jagged scar on his side. “Yes…a long time ago. The Sun Sea of Athas. I was…a traveler then.” The whole time he is on alert…looking for something but not knowing what. His unease is clear.

“Sit. Lets talk. We have yet to really talk.”

“I am a man of action…of war. I do not …talk.” His unease is shifting to the conversation instead of the seas. The dark and still seas.

“Let me be the judge of that. Please Vander…sit. Relax a bit. We are safe on the Governor’s houseboat.”

Not convinced Vander only steps up to the rail and leans on it. His gaze returns to the dark and forbidden waters.

“I used to dive for shells on the coral reefs and pretend to be a porpoise on the sand bars. I miss those days. Life has become…so complicated. What was your childhood like? What do you remember of it?”

Vander sees his father’s fist. He hears the rage. He feels the sting. “I had a good life. I hunted in the forests and fished on the deep lakes. I grew up strong and proud.” He never looks to her as he says this. His mind is caught up in too many memories. All consist of violence.

Jean, knowing he is lying to her but sensing he means no harm in doing so goes on about herself to keep the mood light. “I remember my first pearl I ever found by myself. I never knew what it was. I opened the shellfish, saw the pearl and threw it overboard! Hahahah I was only 5 at the time. My mother could have used that money for goods we needed but only gave me a hug. She was so good to me.

Vander sees a cowering woman with discoloring on her face and arms. His face becomes hard as steel.

“The Stripped Bass are out.”

A few moments go by. Then Vander snaps out of it as if a drill sergeant just addressed him in line up. “Bass?”

“Yes. Don’t look at the horizon Vander- looks closer. See those glints of light in the water? Those are small fish that school for security. The bass will charge through the school trying to catch as many as possible. The school tries to flee so quickly that many leap right out of the water. It is trying amazing at times.

Vander’s face softens as he finally sees and realizes the action for what it is. They watch for a few silent minutes as a school will leap here then another somewhere else. Vander almost smiles watching the show put on by the fish. Then he tenses again and looks out to the sea.

“What is it Vander?”

“Growing up in a time of war then living on a world of war I have developed a sixth sense for trouble. Something is here with us. Something troublesome.”

“Relax Vander. You are being paranoid. The bay is too shallow for the Jaws of Sorrow to swim within. No one else knows we are here that would commit acts of harm to us.”

Vander ignores her even as she returns to talk about the fish and coral reef splendors. His senses have rarely failed him. He watches the minnows and shiners leap again. And leap…and leap…and leap. Not in small condense areas of a school of fish. No. This time a fish is coming straight at them. The entire bay before them is exploding in activity.

“We are under attack!” Vander declares loudly even as he reaches for his falchion. Jean stops in midsentence to ask what he means when she finally sees what he has seen. She rolls back from the rail and retreats to get her spell pouch and alert the others. Vander is happy to get the novice out of the way.

Suddenly the water explodes as large amphibian creatures leap out of the water directly at him. These greenish tall and gaunt creatures are unlike any he has ever seen. The claws, teeth and method are not unfamiliar to him. “I am no minnow fishman.” Is all he says as he begins to swing his weapon.

His weapon telepathically reaches out to the black-eyed creatures. The sound of building, rising and moving energy is the last thing the first creature will hear as Vander hits it taking off an arm. The reverse swing beheads it. The glowing psionic weapon beheads the next creature. He stabs straight up tearing the flesh from the third creature. It hisses at him. Even as the body sinks down the length of his weapon the creature claws at him. His toughened scarred skin takes the brunt of the sharp claws well.

Vander wills his ectoplasmic skin to expand. If the dying creature could comprehend what was before him it did not show it. Even as Vander works the weapon out of the body thus killing it, a whitish-blue film expands from under his breeches to cover his upper body. Then he calls on his primal nature and becomes stronger and much faster.

More creatures rise from the water but he ignores them. He can feel the boat shift as more are climbing on board on the other side. The creature prepares to throw it’s trident at Vander when suddenly its shoulder, arm and thigh explode in red mist. It hisses at the strange injuries. “Go home to the Black Lagoon ya f***ing rejects! Yells Jim Addards as he becomes visible from on the roof.

As the creatures try to climb aboard before him, Vander swings at them holding them at bay.

A beam of light comes from the water and washes over Jim. Several dots of glowing light now hover before his face taking away his vision and now allowing him to fire his energy gun. Jim is confused by the actions…if it were magic- wouldn’t he have absorbed it?

“Errrrrrrr….turn surface meat. Turn and face your consumer…”

Vander turns to the back of the boat. A taller creature is here with four arms. The creature walks like it owns him. Vander smiles and switches the weapon from hand to hand as proof of strength and skill.

Jim tries to move away from the lights that are blinding him but finds it much more difficult that envisioned. The roof of the boat was not designed for one to sleep or fight on either.

The four armed mutant claws and bites at Vander. It adds many long and shallow wounds to Vander’s shoulders and back. It is trying to stay very close to him so as to remove room to swing his obviously deadly weapon. Vander tries to counter move but can not. So he just drops to his knees and swings under the creatures four arms. It hisses as it loses both of its legs from the knees down and thumps to the deck in complete rage at how easily Vander defeated it. Vander finishes it off easily.

A fast movement goes over his shoulder with a loud and solid thud sound issuing from the stern of the boat. The Captain’s defensive artifact has once more been used as a highly offensive one as two of the would be murders fall from the rail with missing teeth and blooding mouths and eyes.

“Report!” is all the other war veteran says even as he catches his magical throwing shield.

“We are being attacked from the sea. At least one has magic use” Vander declares.

Trying something new…Jim tries to catch the light with his hands to destroy them. Can not.
The result is a wild fall and last minute grab at the roofing to land on his feet on the deck.

“Kill them!” is clearly heard. Jean, coming out of the doorway sees a human in the water giving out directions. Looking further- she sees the source of the attacks- “Sahuagin!” she hisses.
She concentrates on the water surface and fog thickens and becomes dense. The underwater terrors find it very hard to move through the fog. It seems almost solid to them. She is uncertain but thinks a dorsal fin had grown out the human as if changing shape into…a shark.

Christina comes out with only a blanket covering her. “Mother”, her intelligent Heavy Mace in hand and her holy symbol in the other. The attacks have ended until they hear and feel the next attack. The creatures are attacking through the hull!

“Onto shore!” yells the Captain. Vander goes into the first room to get his armor. Christina helps Jim off as the lights continue to haunt him. As he reaches shore the lights fade away. Spots of red and black still dance and dissolve in his vision. “Dirty Bastards” he grumbles.

The boat lists to the side pushing on the thick fog. Vander is beside himself. Some of his armor is still on the boat! Jim adds that his stuff is also. One look from the Captain shuts both of them up.

“Undead colossal sharks and now Sahuagin…this is bad” ends Christina. Momma, her cat, merely shakes its head in disgust. “water…why water?” it laments.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
"As the story progresses I plan on this. Megamania has been the main person thus far with some spotlighting on Christina. Look for more on her and a bunch on Vander in the next few story arcs."

You know Megamania, this PROVES you'd make a bad politician - you keep your promises ;).

Though I am still a bit curious if there was a big .. ummm .. divergency? (looking for right word) where Jean went from a Gal quite in tune with nature -> to realising that the powers of nature were at her beck & call...
or have I given away the premise of a future update?

Vander's past sounds like one I wouldn't wish on anyone...
(except that guy who always picked on me at school - oh how he shall one day rue my vengeance! RUE!!)

Look_a_Unicorn Though I am still a bit curious if there was a big .. ummm .. divergency? (looking for right word) where Jean went from a Gal quite in tune with nature -> to realising that the powers of nature were at her beck & call... or have I given away the premise of a future update? Vander's past sounds like one I wouldn't wish on anyone... (except that guy who always picked on me at school - oh how he shall one day rue my vengeance! RUE!!)[/QUOTE said:
Not sure what you mean by Divergency regarding Jean. Admittedly her personality is the hardest for me to convey. She is not a true pacifist but avoids doing harm to another as much as possible. HOWEVER -don't PO her. She has a mean streak. Eventually I'll go into her and the dragon...oops I shouldn't have said that.

Vander is a messed up guy. His entire life has been one of conflict with little positive feedback. A lot more is coming up on him.

You will see/read how all the Champions of Infiniti had a rough go of things before they died and were brought back to life by Infiniti. Expect many flashbacks on all the characters (I hope I don't kill any before) to explain a bit of who they are.

I went into depth with Megamania first only because I did a comicbook with him for about 5 years with the origin given here. I know him VERY well and his history very well. Foes from his past may...reappear? Time and alternate realities will unravel as we continue.

Also, if you thought the champions have had it hard, wait until the mysterious figure in the background begins to really get involved. Lets just say things will get ugly.

Remove ads