Strikeforce: Morituri Part One "the Mortals" Is Completed

STRIKEFORCE: MORITURI
SEGMENT 030
“Black blood Witch Queen”

The dark blackness began to withdraw from her sitting body. A wispy heavy green mist that promised of evil replaced the darkness. She slowly opened her black eyes and looked about. It was not the first time she entered the Dream State she was currently in. Here in the realm of dreamtime she could see things far away, even the future.

She saw nothing of alarm so she stood up and walked. The ground was warm and moist to her feet. It was as if it were alive. She walked about until she saw something before her. A figure hiding. She sucked in her breath sharply through her rotted yellow and black teeth. She was certain it was the Shadowman. He had been visiting her in her dreams for several months now. She hated him for that. She also saw that he was to be her death. This could not be allowed.

His eyes were green with red slashes below and above them. He was dressed in the darkness he stood in. He was came to her in her dream this way. Hiding. Watching. Searching. Seething in anger and the need for vengeance. His idea of justice. He would need to die. She would prepare for him. He will die.

Her sight carried her further down a passage. The mists parted only as she reached a watery area. Within was Batuu. Who or what Batuu was mattered little to her. The natives feared it and she did not. Now they fear her as well. The natives give her food. Often young pretty girls to sacrifice to Batuu. Unknown to them, He did not eat them. She did. She would hunt them in her caves and eat them. It was a good life. It would remain so. She had developed a new power over the elements. A very powerful ability to harness the strike of the storm. The shadowman would not kill her. She would kill him then eat him as she did all others.

The creature closed her eyes again. Her last image was of the Shadowman watching her. Mocking her. Mocking her ability and her rite to be. Soon….. very soon….

She opened her black eyes once more. This time the ground was rocky and damp. It was dark since it was devoid of light except for a torch a few dozen feet away. She licked her rotted teeth with her gray tongue. Her hunger was growing but the dream always precluded a good hunt. Above were several shipwrecked persons. A few sailors and a lady with her two handmaids. The lady made her curious. She was stronger than she hinted. Strong in spirit .…strong in will…she would be the final piece of her hunt.

The Witch Queen of the Black Blood tribe stood up and gathered her possessions; a necklace of finger bones and teeth, and her tattered robe. Finally, she picked up her staff. It looked like weak driftwood but in truth it was touched by the power of an outsider. She would use it to break open the Shadowman’s skull so that she can feast on his brain and thus his final thoughts. She wanted to savor his fear and horror of dying at her hands.

She walked towards the surface to find Batuu. She needed his appearance to get the tribe to give her fresh food on a regular basis. The powerful creature ate the rich minerals in the volcanic ash and ground. It had no interest in her, the natives or the people the native offered to it. Batuu needed to make a new appearance. She wanted to hunt all of the crew and the women. And she would.

SEGMENT 031
“Megamania’s Random Thoughts”

It was not hard for Megamania to find the trail leading to the barbarian’s settlement. There were footprints everywhere, broken branches, occasional hairs or lost item, then there was the smoke in the sky. Easy. The bad thing was it took them longer to get there than hoped. It was late in the next day. Megamania slept in late. Unknown to him, his nose had been broken and both eyes swollen shut when the Captain disciplined him. Christina aided him with a quick spell of healing before he awoke knowing how this injury would inflict more harm on his spirit than anything else would. It was his spirit that made him strong. He never knew that she thought of him or did this for him.

The Captain had remained joker-faced whenever he was around. Megamania, the roguish super-spy and general get it done guy was felled by one blow by this military man from World War II. It was then he realized something. Perhaps he always knew but just denied it. Nothing was real anymore. Nothing. Everything he believed in was false. At least false compared to the other “worlds” he had visited since. Where he came from there was no magic…but does that mean it only exists in fairy tales?

Why had this “Goddess” of the realities picked him to join on this quest? He was certain it involved magic. Quite certain. From their briefing and talks since, most everyone died because of magic. The Captain was Bar B-Q’d by a mage, Christina by something sounding like a vampire of magic, Jean by a magical dragon and Vander…..all right, so not everyone died by magic. But he faced magic on the battlefield daily and developed means to deal with it. Magic is alien to me. Or is it….?

“Snap out of it Jim” whispered Vander whom came up beside him in his heavily scratched up psionic armor. “You have found them I see. Good.”

Megamania, aka Jim Addards Lt of the United States Army nodded and reached into his pack. He found his small binoculars and did what he was trained to do- spy. Getting into trouble was a god-born gift. god. Jim fought dwelling on the subject. Before dying it was suggested to him that he was an agent of a god. He assumed “his” god. Maybe it was the one of realities. He was getting a headache.

Jean came over to them followed by the others. The barbarian camp was sheltered by a deep crack in the earth. A well-guarded bridge was the only way across. The plan was simple. They would fly over. Jean, Christina and Vander would keep the natives busy while the Captain and Megamania would rescue the people inside. The surviving crewmembers would guard the bridge from this side. They were not certain if any more barbarians were in the forest or not. Everyone knew it was a ploy to keep them out of the way but it gave them something to do, which the Captain knew was important. Christina’s mother and her people would keep the known barbarians located behind the main camp busy. A snatch and run job.

There was one snag. One Jim knew was coming. Jean gave a few soft words of chanting then held up a white bird feather. The spell was caste but Megamania was locked to the ground still. Just like before. Everyone was stumped except for Vander. “His mind is powerful. He doesn’t believe in magic enough to block it.” For Vander- this was a powerful statement. He was the closest thing the team had to a mental expert. Perhaps this was the truth then.

“I’ll carry him” was the Captain’s steady comment.

And so it began.

SEGMENT 032
“Enter….Batuu”

“Ugg” is all the barbarian primitive could manage to say. The night sky was suddenly darkening and a breeze was picking up. Then the clouds seem to come down from the sky as the fog blocked their vision.

“Blood Queen said this happen. Get others.” Is all the more articulate barbarian could say. “I do not fear the weather witch. I am braver.”

“Uh-Hugh” is all the first barbarian replies as he rushes off.

A distant thud can be heard in the thick fog. “Bonehead…that you?”

Then he hears a sound he has never heard before. A sound resounds in his head- not his ears. The sound of building and moving energy. He slowly turns…almost sensing what is behind him. The Metal Man!
Vander is floating there, with his just drawn psionic falchion. His grim face softens into a smirk. “You can not win barbarian. I am Vander Stormbringer. I have fought dragons and demons…and I yet live.”

“Bonehead! Wait for me!” wails the frightened and out-cyked barbarian. Christina strikes him down with Mother, her intelligent mace. He goes down without further action or noise.

“Let’s go Vander…stop playing around.”

Jean has flown ahead of them above the fog. She reaches the other side and goes next to the rocky crags and finds many more barbarians. Including one dressed in what appears to be crude dried dung and mud with a large featureless mask. He dances about then stops. The drummers stop at this point also. He drops to him knees and grabs at the earth and throws it to the air allowing it to fall onto him like an earthen rain.

Silence.

“What is he waiting for?” wonders Jean whom prepares to wash him with a rainstorm. She pulls out her vial of storm water to caste her spell when she hears a deep rumble. All of the barbarians bow now. Following their glances, she sees the two handmaidens and the crewmembers. They are tied to a stone pillar near the cavern entrance.

Vander and Christina float up next to her in the foggy cover. “What could it be?” she asks them.

In the same emotionless even tone he uses all of the time- “a sacrifice…the crew no doubt.”

“But the Captain and Megamania went into the cave entrance close to the bridge…”

“An exit brought them here…let’s go.” Instead of the water, she switches to a vial filled with nothing. In truth, it has the exhaled breath of a giant. Jean murmurs the words then uncaps the vial and breathes it in through her nose. Her throat and jaw trembles slightly. She motions for the two heavily armored party members to go ahead.

She whispers under her breath as she lands. All turn and look at her... the olive skinned outsider and intruder. The Mud and dung caked leader shouts something in their native tongue and many of the men get up grabbing weapons. She waits until they are close then slowly says to lie down. The force of her “Great Shout” bowls them over and many of the on lookers yet to get up. Blood spills from the ears of the warriors looking to kill her and the innocent women and the crewmembers.

Vander and Christina, their ears ringing even though the sonic blast was not directed at them, quickly free the others. The dung covered leader runs over to them. He begins to strike Vander with his staff. With a deep sigh, Vander’s patience runs out and he grabs the staff, snaps it in two over his knee and then head butts the man with his helmeted head. "Let’s go before the creature inside comes out."

“…Too late…” Christina says looking to the sky.

Before her is a gem crusted huge earthen creature resembling an earth Elemental. It walks like a gorilla would; it supports its upper body on its huge knuckles of his hands. His short legs convey the strength and stability of the creature.

It looks at the two armored people before it. Then at the people from the pillar. Then back at the metal covered people…the tasty metal covered people.

“We don’t have the need for this right now” is all Christina can say as she directs the people to a safer location. “To quote Jim- its Vander Time”

The Captain near the entrance drops Megamania before he lands himself. Megamania searches for sentries and/or traps and finds nothing. His starlight goggles glow a soft green on his mask. Still nothing. He motions for the Captain to enter the cavern entrance.

The Captain looks about inside. “I can’t see much Megamania.”

“I can see a hint of light ahead. It’s defused but it exists. Bare with me. Follow my lead.” Jim, aka Megamania, adds night vision goggles to his list of things to pick up if they ever go a world similar to his. Unrealized by him, this is the first time he thinks of alternate realities without denying it afterwards.

They go down a few corridors before reaching an area lit by torches. Also in this room are bones. The Captain’s eye twitches as he spots a skull of a human. “How can you not be bothered by this Jim?”

“Cap- in your time things were a bit more innocent. In my time, things like this were common place.” Sensing a nerve to uproot, he picks up a bone. “See these marks…tooth marks. See these marks…human tooth marks. These folks are indeed cannibals. It is dark and sick but it is what it is.” He drops the bone to the sandy ground. In truth it bothers him. Looking at the bone up close he noticed the marks suggested a strange pallet design. Whatever did this was not 100% human. THAT was unnerving to him.

Moving further into the dark tunnels The Captain, now armed with a lit torch, looks about. Megamania, careful not to look at the Captain and lose all vision, scans ahead. The floor is becoming damp. Soft. Almost organic.

“This is f****** freaky man” he murmurs under his mask. In a slightly louder voice- “Do you feel that Cap?”

“Feel what?”

“In a word…evil.”

The air becomes misty as they trod down a rocky ramp. “This reminds me too much of Vandel Boc’s dungeon in Styxville. This can’t be good Cap. ….Cap?”

Then very quietly a small finger bone with runes bounces between them…then darkness. “We are under attack!” Says the Captain as blackness spreads out rapidly from the bone. Even his torch and Megamania’s technological wonder fails to pierce the darkness.

The Captain moves slowly but to the side. Suddenly something strikes him and pushes him in a hole. His vision returns just in time to strike the bottom. He is stunned by the blow.

Megamania, crouched down low, quietly works about. His fast working mind is beginning to grasp the realities of magic. It was that damned bone. On this rock floor, he should be able to find it easily enough. Ah-hah he thinks as he finds it. He grabs it and holds it in his fist. Encased the blackness goes away. His night vision goggles see a form of an ugly old deformed woman climbing some rocks. Smiling he throws the bone at her expecting it to caste its spell onto her. Nothing. The bone fragment merely bounces off of the rocks next to her.

He goes into a low spin and takes cover by the rocks piled near the exit.

“I am ready for your magic Shadowman. Tonight- I will feast on your flesh.”

“Eat me” he says then cringes at his remark. Bad mania…bad. Cat and Mouse…his favorite game.

SEGMENT 033
“Batuu”

The lightning blast blows chunks from the back of the earthen beast. The sound of crashing rock emits from its head-like knob. Vander powers up augmenting his strength and speed first. Then he increases his ability to shrug off physical blows. All the while watching for actions from the barbarian natives. They have fled screaming something that sounded like Batuu. Christina has faced elementals before. Never one of this size and magnitude however. She briefly wonders if it is an elder before moving away from its hulking mass.

Jean hits it again with a bolt that flashes and glows afterwards as it runs along the copper and gold within its form. “Any thoughts?” whispers Jean as her voice continues to roar like a giant’s.

“Go air borne. It loses its main advantage that way.”

Vander doesn’t like it. He loses much of his leverage while in the air. He does so anyway however.

Christina tries a flame strike at it. The creature rumbles at the insult. It melds into the ground, all 40 foot of its height and mass. Then it erupts from the ground and strikes Christina whom has hovered too close to the ground. The blow causes her to careen up and away from the fight. Vander lands on its “head” and gives it a solid blow. His falchion strikes and releases its psionic enhancements and electrical charge inside the body. It doesn’t register the attack. However, the refined metals with psionic enhancements dose register with the creature. A very hungry creature. It reaches up for Vander whom suddenly finds his awesome weapon is becoming covered with earth and stone.

“This weapon is …NOT…TO…BE…YOURS!” A contest of strength begins over the weapon. Jean, fearing she will strike Vander wants to change her tactics. But how? It is ignoring her cold and seems to be immune or resistant to her lightning. Rain will do little to it due to its size.

Christina tries to strike at it with her heavy mace again. Mother releases her anger on the creature. Waves of Fire, Cold and Electric strike it along with the mighty physical blow. The creature continues to try to capture Vander’s weapon.

“I…WILL…NOT…BE…DENIED!”

Christina continues to strike at it. Chunks of earth and rock break off with each strike. Jean tries to use her last sonic attack which shatters many gems on its surface. One gem is worked to the surface near Vander. Finding his strength is too evenly matched, he reaches down to the gem. He focuses on it exciting the trapped energy within it.

BOOOOM!

Vander, falchion in hand is sent flying away. The creature is nearly split in two and staggers, then falls onto the ground breaking up. The individual parts seep into the ground. Batuu has had enough.

“Where is the Captain and Jim?” asks Christina.

SEGMENT 034
“Fate of Fates”

“I know you are here Shadowman. I sense your soul.”

“My soul? What kind of weed has this new age hag been smoking?” thinks Megamania. He draws his energy gun thinking it is past time to do this.

“I know you faced the demon and failed. Now you face me and will fail again!”

Megamania stops and ponders that one for a moment. “Boc was evil but no demon” replies Jim still in hiding..

“I have been watching you Shadowman. I know you. I will kill you and feast on your soul.”

“If I die from you its from how bad you smell” answers Megamania. Then suddenly he realizes she is not where he thought she was. She is missing.

He continues to hide in the deep shadows. He finally closes his eyes and listens. He hears a drip of water to the right and above him. He hears his heart beating…slowing down as he concentrates…then he hears a slight shuffle. She is barefooted and walking on solid rock. She is nearly soundproof. Then he smells it. That damned smell that makes the hair standup on his neck. He always got it when he was near Boc. Evil. The pure smell of evil. He opens his eyes and six Blood Queens attack him with their staffs.

It is no challenge for him to avoid the six attacks. He then turns to shot her at point blank range. A staff head strikes his wrist..hard. His fingers go numb and he can’t fire the weapon. A third swing “hits” his head. An illusion! It passed completely through him.

He swings at the closest image. He gives a 1-2 and 3 punch and her image fades away. A sharp strike to the head confirms his immediate thought- wrong one.

“Look ya ugly puss bag excuse for life- I don’t know who you are. I am Megamania- not Shadowman. I don’t like magic and it doesn’t like me. You stink of evil and I don’t think twenty bathes will get it off of me. So bugger off!” He swings into empty air again. “F***!”

“Do you ...have to use …that word ...everyday?” Asks the Captain as he tries to crawl out of the deep hole he was pushed into.

“Hey Cap…I’m much better than her. I have more purity in my finger (you guess which one he holds up) than she does in her whole body!” His inattention to her allows a solid groin shot. “Argh…you dirty old b****!” Swings and misses. “Not many left!”

A look of fear and alarm begins to form on her blackened dirty and diseased face. The Shadowman is strong. Very strong.

“I will kill you Shadowman ….with my most powerful magic!”

The Captain cries out an alarm as the room is lit up by a blast of lightning striking Megamania at point blank range. He had no opportunity to move or dodge.

The Captain struggles to get over the edge of the hole. He figures Jim to be dead. He runs over and sees the old hags backing up in fear. Before her is Megamania. He is resting on one knee. Steam is rising from his body. A scorch mark on his armor that covers his entire chest. He is looking at the burn and touching it tentatively. Then he looks up at her. Under his mask he has the smile of a child in a toy store before Christmas. “Did I ever tell you I’m on a mission for god?”

“Noooooooo! I am undone! Beajeer has left me! My magics fail!” The old woman turns to run. Megamania easily trips her with an outstretched foot. She hits the ground hard.

The Captain stands up, his large shield shining even in this darkness. He is studying Jim’s moves and temperment.

She gets up and tries to attack him…both of them try to attack him. He is careful to line up both images and indeed the punch goes through one but strikes the final image whom goes down again. He begins to feel guilty about beating on the old woman but then she rises with yellow eyes and long teeth. She is not human.

Several quick and solid hits later she staggers back. “I curse you!” she screams before falling onto a start rock that snaps her head and kills her.

“Uh…. That was weird”

“Jim…what Christina said…” he is cut off as the head rolls around to see Megamania. The yellow eyes are still rolled and unfocused but the mouth speaks-

Cries of Doom will defenses be crushed
Friends and Allies raise shield and sword
You will run from the battle feeling rushed
And as a result, a friend will die by your good word

To avoid this horrible fate
You have but to face your death
Battle it with desire and purity; not hate
Or the battle will take your last breath

Then a cackle begins and continues even after Megamania shrugs his shoulders and leaves the cavern room leaving a fearful Captain behind. He stares at the undead creature…mulling over its words carefully. Fear of Christina’s warning grows with each cackle.

Then he too leaves…. as the cackles continue.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
I was about to say that this story hour keeps getting better and better, but then I remembered just how cool the undead spellstitched etc mega-shark of DOOM was.
So instead I'll say that I'm glad your keeping up the enjoyably high standard!

SEGMENT 035
“Reader Update”

It has been five days now since arriving on Ravenloft. The Dread Realms were successfully playing with the minds and insecurities of the survivors of the shipwreck. The horror and destruction of the Jaws of Sorrow was only a prelude. The monstrously large mutated undead creature hunted and destroyed ships for months now. Sailors feared it nearly as much as the Pirates (even the undead ones) that plagued the waters of the Sea of Sorrows. Despite not seeing it again, Vander and Jean both knew it yet survived and hunted. Survivors washed up on shore of a small and uncharted island.

The island had a human tribe of barbarians that survived on it until an undead witch discovered them and the resident elemental- Batuu. She twisted them in cannibalism and hunted out nearly all life on the island. At this time, several new survivalists arrived. People experimented on by a mad butcher turned scientist. They could survive on the fruit and roots of the island that the cannibals didn’t eat. Then the cannibals turned on them. This was months ago.

One of the experimented on individuals was this Ravenloft’s mother to Christina. Christina, a high cleric of Infiniti, the Goddess of the Realities (and the balance there of) had a curse placed on her long ago. This curse made her face her mother in each alternate reality of Ravenloft she ever visited. Something terrible always happened to her mother. In this case, she was turned into an insectiod creature. Not bad considering some fates had by her “mothers” in the past. This confrontation tore at the psyche of Christina and brought about the revelation that three of her “mothers” traveled with her. One as a cat familiar to a powerful mage, one as a spirit and the other was an intelligent weapon. This revelation was hard on the party members- especially Jim Addards.

Jim Addards heralds from a medium tech world very similar to earths. He strongly denies the existence of magic and the supernatural. This revelation snapped his mind and the resulting breakdown forced the team leader, The Captain, to lay him low. To further these problems, it appears he is somehow immune to magic. Several “Fly” spells have failed when caste onto him and most recently- a point-blank magical lightning bolt seemed to do nothing to him.

The unnaturally evil essence of Ravenloft has affected the others also. Vander is becoming more obsessed with his abnormally gruesome adulthood. He hails from Athas (Darksun) from before the days of the Cleansing Wars. He distrusts magic but has grown used to it as a requirement for survival. He was snatched from a moment where 100,000+ people died when psionics and magics mixed and conflicted on an epic scale that unknown to him turned millions of acres of land into undead glass. Dispatched for an unknown reason to the Prime Plane of Alion, he ventured for a short time there before being on the losing end of a draw from a Deck of Wondrous Things. He became imprisoned by an infernal creature where he was tortured and played with until traded to a female warlord on the plane of Chaos- Acheron. Here he was a warrior and a boy-toy to the warlord. The experience has left many mental scars on him that has yet to heal.

Jean, a weather specialist, has become less happy and joyful. Once she was revolted by needless deaths of anything living. Now, she herself has shot lightning bolts into foes with the very persons she is trying to protect dangerously close to being hit themselves. It is uncertain if this is a mere phase, a direct effect of the Dread Plane or a change in her personality. Only time will tell.

The Captain, the team’s leader, has become harsher and yet jaded himself. He always kept his emotions neutral but now they can erupt in short bursts of explosive outbursts. The most recent of which was when Megamania (Jim Addards) prompted an outburst that ended by the Captain punching him out at the campfire. This distraction has recently lead to his guard being down while in the tunnels. He was nearly killed by a witch when she pushed him into a deep pit. He now is beginning to second guess himself which he knows can weaken his leadership.

Now, the crew and passengers that survived are stranded on the island with the planar travelers. They are staying with Christina’s “mother” and her people. Many options are being plotted out and explored. They need to get off the island to reach their destination to collect the Ring of Darqueness. This Ring is an artifact created and once worn by the Devourer of Worlds. He is the opposite of Infiniti. He wants to destroy all of the “none-core” alternate realities.

In the meantime, Darqueness’ agents are beginning to mass and have recently has learned of the existence of Strikeforce: Morituri. It is unclear what is happening at this point, but it appears a plan is being brought about to contend with the heroes. The five heroes are thus far unaware of their possible counterparts.

SEGMENT 036
“Midnight Confidential”

The stars were many and twinkled. Their seduction called to him. At one point all Jim Addards ever wanted was to be an astronaut to travel to the moon and beyond. Now he travels to other realities. Wow.

As a government spy he had seen and done much. More than most. Further, he was always caught up in something that was…surreal. He blocked most of it out. Maybe Vander was right. His disbelief in magic was so strong that he was blocking it out. A very powerful version of self-denial. Subconsciencely he touched his chest. He was blasted by lightning that seemed to pass through him. Instead of pain, he felt warmth. He got a high from it. He wanted more.

Jim smiled as he heard the footsteps coming up the walk. They were quiet by the rhythm and signature was etched in his mind. Christina was coming up to see him.

“‘Allo”

She nearly jumps in surprise. Though out of her heavy armor, she still wore her boots that deaden her footsteps. He spoke to her when she was still about twenty feet away and with his back to her. “‘Allo back Jim. Do you mind if I sit here with you?”

“Nope. I like company.”

“The view here is incredible. We can almost see the sea beyond the thick mists from here.”

Jim and Christina were indeed near the highest point of the island. It was possibly the best place to use as a look out for passing ships.

“I…I’m sorry I didn’t explain my situation earlier. I thought you think me to be insane.”

“I would think that either way Christina. We are all people whom died and were brought back to life to travel the multiverse. We have to be crazy. I know I am.”

Christina smiles and looks away from him. She pulls up a few pieces of grass from the ground. She plays with the grass between her fingers. She wants to say something but can’t. She is uncertain where to begin and how to say it so it wouldn’t sound cheap. “I think I know your secret.”

Undaunted, Jim only waits for more.

“You have been twice given a spell to allow you to fly that failed. You were struck by magical Lightning and it did nothing. It only scorched your clothes- not you. I think you wield Spellfire.

Curious Jim asks what that is.

“It is extremely rare. It allows you to absorb magical energy and store it. An experienced or gifted user can then use this energy and reshape it to heal or destroy. It can be very powerful.”

“Never heard of it.” Jim lies back looking at the stars. He is at peace and doesn’t understand why. It is unnatural to him. He is…content.

“There is one thing I want to do. If you don’t mind.”

“Sure. Anything for you.”

“Take off the suit- your shirt. Let me inspect for burns or injuries. I am a cleric and understand magical and natural healing.”

Jim smiles. There is a hint of flirtation in her voice. He likes it. He sits up and disconnects his black jumper suit top, which he pulls off.

She looks at the suit first. “Here is the first clue beyond your mere survival…the burn is on the chest only. Lightning courses through a body. There should be other burns where the lightning exits your body.”

There is a quiet pause as she looks at the suit with its modern fibers and plastic mesh. Incredibly light but strong. Not as strong as Mithril but much lighter than any non-metal armor she has seen.

“What does it feel like”

“I don’t understand your question Jim” She continues to look at the uniform, including the tag about size and washing.

“To believe. To believe in a god.”

She puts it down for a moment. She looks into his eyes to see if he is mocking her or means it. He is very serious.

“Everyday I wake up knowing something is looking out for me. Everyday I wake up feeling her strength and warmth. She gives me strength, hope and security.”

“Have you ever seen her?”

“No. Only her agents and once her Avatar from a great distance.”

“Then how do you know she exists?”

“Faith”

Jim is quiet as he thinks about her answer. He nearly jumps as she touches his chest. “Sorry. I’m looking for burns.”

Jim becomes nervous. Her touch is more of a lover’s caress. It is driving him crazy.

“All I see are a few minor bruises. These minor bruises were so deep and dark a few days ago. Do you naturally heal quicker than most?”

“Yes but not like this. I seem to heal from things better ever since being in the desert.”

“Before or after Jean’s fly spell?” She is very close to him now. Her face and lips mere inches from his.

“….after…”

Jim can smell her hair now. Smell her skin. He wonders what it reminds him of. He can’t place it but it excites him.

“You are a Spellfire wielder Jim. I can not doubt it…anymore.” Their eyes lock and then they close and gently their lips touch and kiss.

Hours later, Christina comes back to the camp. She is in an uplifted spirit and smiles. She waves to Vander whom is up still. He rarely sleeps more than a few hours at a time. Truly a veteran adventurer and warrior. If he knows what has just happened he dose not mention it. She arrives at her tent and goes inside. Instantly “Mother” telepathically calls to her. Her heavy mace contains the spirit and intellect of a person that in theory was her mother…in another reality.

= how can I protect you if I am not with you?=

“I needed no protection tonight”

=I disagree= telepathically communicates her cat- Momma

The spirit that is her “real” mother touches her shoulder. She is happy for her. The others are happy by fearful of the young man.

The four of them talk telepathically for another hour until Christina finally falls asleep…in a deep dreamy sleep. A dreamy sleep full of stars, distant water, grass and sincere warmth and faith.

Jim stays on the hillside looking at the stars. As he often does, he begins to talk to himself.

“Well Jim. There’s no going back now. You went and made love to her. It was mutual and sincere but you still did her. Now what?”

“Do I try to pretend it didn’t happen?”

“Can’t”

“Do I go and marry her?”

“uh- NO”

“I feel so good but….why am I here and she is down there?”

“I have had many one night stands before but this….is different.”

“heh- Midnight Confidential.”

“Can’t show it since it may change how the group functions and how we work as a team.”

“Yeah…that’s it. Blame it on that………”

He never sleeps but he smiles. He is happy. For the first time ever since meeting her, he has not thought of Jessica…Theta. Someone he gave his heart to but it turned out she was more than human. Perhaps he has been around magic for a long time after all. He just didn’t realize it.

His random thoughts drift to Christina…and the moment of unselfish love they just shared. And that carries his mind until the morning.

SEGMENT 037
“Plans, Plots and Passage”

“Except for Megamania, I could fly us to a ship if we saw it” offers Jean.

“Of all the thoughts, that seems the best.” Concurs Christina.

“You have been very quiet Jim…have you any thoughts?” asks The Captain.

“It still bothers me that we can’t just jump “home” then retry but with either a plane or motorboat.”

“Admittance of higher tech resources is to be extremely limited for one. Each time we use a planar jump it may alert the agents of Darqueness of our actions. Also, this specific plane blocks most planar jumps. It is only through a deal that Infiniti has with the Dark Lords that we are able to leave…once. If we try this again, we may be trapped here forever allowing the Darqueness to form a new body and regain the strength he needs to start his destructive ways again.” Clarifies Christina.

“oh” is all he can say.

“Captain Bennaton- how often can a ship be seen near here?” The Captain asks the leader of a ship that was wrecked offshore here about 6 days ago.

“If we could see beyond the mists around this island. I would think once every few days.”

“Thankyou. Jean, Christina and Vander- what can we do to see beyond the mists?”

“I have a few means to communicate with them at a distance but nothing else” answers Jean.

“Nothing much here” adds Christina.

Vander merely nods a grim no.

“Jim- your spot up on the mountain side- we saw over the mists there-“ remembers Christina.

Jean smirks with a new suspicion. “If we can see over the mists there, then a fire there could be equally seen also by them. A fire I can help with.”

“No one ever asked but I have a means to see further away. I have my US Government issued made in China binoculars.” Replies Jim suddenly feeling useful and the center of the conversation.

The heroes set to work to create a signal fire. Watches are planned and Jim shows each how easy it is to use the binoculars.

The red gaunt hand once more waves over his scrying water. The mists part ever so slowly. Once parted, an island with mists can be seen. With a slow curling of the fingers, the image of the island comes closer then pierces the mists then reaches the beach. Then a path following the heroes is followed rapidly through time until the image rests on a village with insectiod creatures. These creatures and the five agents of Infiniti are hard at work cutting wood and moving it to the top of a hillside.

“Still ever so resourceful Captain Stevens. Very well.”

The gaunt and clawed hand circles rapidly then forms a mist. The figure gives a mock clap over the scrying water and now the image is of the Sea of Sorrows. The scrying moves quickly over the waters and reveals several ships. All are close enough to be seen soon.

The gaunt red skinned figure reaches for a small chest. It opens it and inside is a wooden image of an armor-plated shark. He holds it up over the water and thinks about the hunger…the drive. Soon, he is thinking about the hunt and…the metal man?

“Go my deadly ally…go and find the metal man. Go and find Vander Stormbringer of Athas”

Captain Bennaton is on watch along with his surviving crew. He marvels at the instrument the wild child has given him to see with. It is similar to a tool of his but much lighter and clearer. He is tempted to take them and bring them to an artificer he knows in Mordent. He shakes the thought off.

He looks up again and tries to see to the east. A ship! He calls for one of his men to call to the Champions and another to light the wood. The woodpile that is still small and may not be seen in daylight. It is lit and goes by…unseen.

The crew looks for the champions but only find Megamania and the Captain. Neither can fly nor reach the ship.

This happens two more days in a row.

DAY 9

Jim is sitting on the hillside…looking at the stars again. It is the Captain’s watch. Everyone else is sleeping…or so he thought. “Hello Christina…and Jean?”

“Jim….do you trust me?” asks Christina.

“Suuuuure….why?”

“The ships fear this area and seem to travel by only by day. Perhaps due to the Jaws of Sorrow. We are uncertain. We need to create a means to be seen. We need to create a light source that can be seen even at the sun’s greatest strength.”

“Yup…I follow you so far.”

“I …..I want to test if you wield it. If you wield Spellfire.”

Jim’s face loses all emotion. Doubt rises in its place. “And how do we test this? Jean gonna zap me a dozen times?”

“If possible” Jean says looking away. She fears what may happen if Christina is wrong.

“F*** that! What if you’re wrong?!?!” Jim tenses up and prepares to roll down the hill into a run.

“We’ll start with easy stuff. Things that are not harmful. We’ll try to lower the temperture first maybe try to caste mage armor on you a few times.”

“What does the Captain think of it?”

“He…he dosen’t know.”

“Oh this is getting better and better…….” He stands up. Looks at the ground in deep thought shrugs and sighs. He looks at Christina and her pleading but nearly crying eyes. Jim melts and gives in.

“Remember- immediately let us know if anything hurts or we need to stop.” She leans up close to him. Gives him a soft kiss on the cheek and rapidly moves away. He is standing in an opening with Jean about 25 feet away.

“What I am about to caste is called “Lesser Cold Orb”. It is intended to cause frost bite and chill one to their bones.”

“Wonderful. Love it.”

“I will hit you will one. I will pause before continuing. Tell me when to stop.”

“Heh- sure” then under his breathe- “but what if I’m dead?”

Jean’s eyes well in tears. She hates casting her magic to harm another. This is insane but she trusts Christina. She also has seen Jim absorb or ignore two of her flight spells already. “Here we go…”

Jim pulls his mask on over his face. He doesn’t want anyone to see his face.

He sees a circular ball of white followed with crystals shot from Jean’s hands. As it hits him, he feels not cold but warmth. A few moments later another wave of warmth then another then it’s all utopia. His body is warm and tingly.

He doesn’t see Jean and Christina look at each other and give a solemn nod. A small series of iron rods are pulled from Jean's deep component pockets. The first Lightning bolt rips into Jim and shakes him. Then another…and another…and another….

The Captain hears the first crack of lightning and looks down to only see Jim being hit by Lightning. Over and over again. Then an electrical globe engulfs him and it melts away. He is screaming now and drops to his knees. Smoke rising from his tattered clothes. He calls to Vander whom also heard the repeated lightning strikes and came to the higher point to investigate.

“STOP OH FOR THE GODS SAKE STOP!” screams Christina as she rushes between Jean and Jim. To avoid striking her Jean redirects her last Electric Orb into the woods causing several trees to splinter or shatter and fall.

“……what have we…done…?”

Jim lies there like a puppet with its strings cut. Elderich energy leaks from his eyes and mouth…just like a deep internal wound would leak blood…..The ground is hot and burnt around him. The sandy soil now broken glass from Jim’s body falling onto it and Christina’s rushing to him.

Fearful she reaches to check for a heart beat…..heat and light rises from his body……”…what have I done….?”

Remove ads