Striking an Object

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Say I'm fighting in a ballroom or something, and I want to drop the chandelier on my enemies. I want to fire an arrow and sever the rope from 100' away-- a very Robin Hood move, something you'd expect to need skill for.

The way I read the rules, a rope has an armor class of 13. (10 -5 (no dex) +8 (size Fine)). If I take a full-round action to line up the shot, I get an additional +5 to hit.

In effect, I only need to roll an 8 to hit the rope, without any bonuses. A first-level wizard, with 10 Dex and a crossbow, would make that shot more than half the time! Is it supposed to be this easy, or have I missed yet another rule?

Mahali

Explorer
Looks right according to the rules. Remember the range penalty if one applies (depends on weapon used).
You'll do 1/2 damage but that won't be a problem against a rope.

kreynolds

First Post
AuraSeer said:
If I take a full-round action to line up the shot, I get an additional +5 to hit.

Neither have I. Is this a house rule or part of prestige class that I'm not aware of? I don't have MotW yet so I guess it might be in there.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Re: Re: Striking an Object

Omegium said:

Where comes this rule from? I have never heard of it.

Page 135 PHB

Yes, the rules for hitting an object at range are extremely poor.

With a melee weapon, it should be AC 10 - 5 (no dex) - size AC modifier (as it is in the book).

With a ranged weapon, it should be (but isn't according to the rules) AC 10 - 5 (no dex) - small size AC modifier - (2 + small size AC modifier) per range category. For larger objects, the range category should just increase (e.g. 100 feet for medium size, 200 feet for large size, ..., 500 feet for colossal size) without increasing your maximum range.

Plus, you should not get +5 for taking a full round, but rather only the standard +2 synergy bonus.

The issue here (for your example) is that you get a +5 bonus for the object not moving (i.e. no dex) and another +5 for lining up the shot for a round. That's way too much.

The other problem is with the range increments themselves. At 95 feet, you are at -0. At 100 feet, you are at -2. They should have halved the increments and made it -1 at 50 feet, -2 at 100 feet, etc.

The way the rules read, a high level skilled archer with Far Shot could hit a potion bottle one time in four at a third of a mile even though he could not see a potion bottle at a third of a mile (e.g. 50% chance to hit, 50% miss chance). If you bump up the range increment based on the size of the object, the skilled archer would hit the potion bottle at a third of a mile about one time in forty (20 to hit, plus 50% miss chance).

Remove ads