• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stripped Spell [metamagic feat] - thoughts?

delericho

Legend

Could you explain how this relates to the proposed Stripped Spell, or to Ragmon's proposed corrections, please?

--

Incidentally, the example given on the dndtools page appears to be incorrect:

The text of the rule says, "When you apply any metamagic feats other than Heighten Spell to that spell, the enhanced spell uses up a spell slot one level lower than normal."

An empowered maximized magic missile should normally take a level 6 slot (1st level spell, +2 for empowered, +3 for maximised). Per the text of the rule, then, it should take a level 5 slot with Arcane Thesis. The example, of course, says level 4.

Note that the rule text says the effect applies when you use metamagic feats, plural, and also specifies that it is the enhanced spell that is affected, not the metamagic feats themselves.

I'll now return you to your regular thread. :)

Edit: This post, by the original designer, would indicate that the example is the more correct, though.

Last edited:

aglondier

Explorer
Fireball as a 2nd level spell for a concentration check? YES PLEASE!

Invisibility as a 1st level spell... for a concentration check? YES, YES PLEASE!!

Wish as an 8th level spell- that can reproduce most 8th level spells already!- for the mere price of a Concentration check???

I think you overestimate how much of a cost a Concentration check really is (which is to say, none).

I think you missed the bit where feedback from the spell causes you damage, possibly requiring a Concentration check.

As a GM, I would pay money to have one of my players do something so mind-bogglingly foolish as to cast a Wish, already a twitchy and unreliable spell, without the mana buffers and runic warding in the spell matrix...boom...

This is what I thought when I first saw this thread title:

Striped Spell [Metamagic]
How in the world did you wind up a wizard and not, like, a confectioner or a fashion designer?
Prerequisites: Cha 13+
Effect: Choose two colors. When you cast a spell with any visible effect, the effect has stripes in those two colors. If the colors chosen are red and white, the spell also smells like peppermint. A striped spell uses up a spell slot no higher or lower in level than usual; it's enough that you spent a feat slot on the ability to cast candy cane lightning bolts.

Love it...gonna have to use it sometime...

it seems a bit too powerful to me. A first level sorcerer can fill up his 0th lvl slots, gaining effectively 5 first lvl spells per day.

A first level sorceror with 4 hit points? With his entire spell repertoire causing 1 hp damage to him each time he casts? Sounds legit.

N'raac

First Post
I think you missed the bit where feedback from the spell causes you damage, possibly requiring a Concentration check.

As a GM, I would pay money to have one of my players do something so mind-bogglingly foolish as to cast a Wish, already a twitchy and unreliable spell, without the mana buffers and runic warding in the spell matrix...boom...

I missed the part where there are drawbacks other than the 8 hp damage and possible attendant concentration check. Where was that?

A first level sorceror with 4 hit points? With his entire spell repertoire causing 1 hp damage to him each time he casts? Sounds legit.

He has no first level cleric friends? Maybe a 1st level cleric friend who also has this feat, so he can use his 0 level spell slots for Cure Light Wounds (2-9 hp) instead of Cure Minor Wounds (1 hp)?

SO a level 7 wizard could caste teleport for 5hp damage and a concentration check he can't miss with max ranks and a good con....

any cleric of 15th level who doesn't have this feat is a moron. you have 15d8hp and good armor and for the minor cost of 9hp you can cast miracle...

delericho

Legend
Yep, the damage is too small to really matter beyond about 1st level, while the Concentration check is too easy to really matter at any level.

Bear in mind also that this feat would be available to Clerics, Druids, Paladins, etc, who have hit points to burn.

Could you explain how this relates to the proposed Stripped Spell, or to Ragmon's proposed corrections, please?

--

Incidentally, the example given on the dndtools page appears to be incorrect:

The text of the rule says, "When you apply any metamagic feats other than Heighten Spell to that spell, the enhanced spell uses up a spell slot one level lower than normal."

An empowered maximized magic missile should normally take a level 6 slot (1st level spell, +2 for empowered, +3 for maximised). Per the text of the rule, then, it should take a level 5 slot with Arcane Thesis. The example, of course, says level 4.

Note that the rule text says the effect applies when you use metamagic feats, plural, and also specifies that it is the enhanced spell that is affected, not the metamagic feats themselves.

I'll now return you to your regular thread. :)

Edit: This post, by the original designer, would indicate that the example is the more correct, though.

As is somewhat common, the wording could use a bit of tweaking to fully convey the intent, even so that people who tend to nitpick on the rules know exactly what's going on and there can be no misunderstanding.

Perhaps the wording should be something along the lines of "this modifies each metamagic feat used on the enhanced spell to a minimum of 0"? That is very, very clearly the intent of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads