Studio Cerca Is An Anime-Themed RPG Company From Carbon 2185 Creator

Robert Marriner-Dodds and his sister, Cassandra Dodds, have formed a company called Studio Cerca to focus on a kid-friendly RPG D&D-powered campaign setting. Robert Marriner-Dodds runs Dragon Turtle Games, the publisher of the cyberpunk Carbon 2185 RPG. This new company, says Cassandra, is: ...inspired directly by the work of Hayao Miyazaki. We used to watch his films together as teenagers...

Robert Marriner-Dodds and his sister, Cassandra Dodds, have formed a company called Studio Cerca to focus on a kid-friendly RPG D&D-powered campaign setting.

studiocercabackground.png

Robert Marriner-Dodds runs Dragon Turtle Games, the publisher of the cyberpunk Carbon 2185 RPG. This new company, says Cassandra, is:

...inspired directly by the work of Hayao Miyazaki. We used to watch his films together as teenagers and we’ve always incorporated their themes and settings into the D&D campaigns we played together. We are working on a D&D 5e campaign setting that has been in development for four years.

Hayao Miyazaki is a Japanese animator, and co-founded the studio which made the films Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. His films tend to feature strong female protagonists, and themes of nature, technology, art, and pacifism.

The campaign setting, whose name has not yet been announced, will be "beautifully illustrated that it looks like it came straight out of a Studio Ghibli artbook". Their website announces a Kickstarter update mailing list for a Kickstarter "coming soon'.

More info as and when it arrives!

Aldarc

Legend
Sorry, that turned out to be harsh indeed. Still, those comments don't contribute to the topic. If someone can't stand typos they should contact the author and not comment about them.
Typos happen, especially with me, so I am not one passing judgment or somehow attempting to flaunt any ridiculous notions of intellectual superiority when others commit them. (Apart from grading papers.)

I would also recommend for those interested in a Hayao Miyazaki like TTRPG in a game called Ryuutama. It's often described as Hayao Miyazaki meets Oregon Trail.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Did you edit my post in your quote? There was a typo in the original post that said Hayat Miyazaki.
Making fun of typos, or even mentioning them is not intelligent. It's one the most irritating behaviors there is. I wish all forums would instatntly block people that do that.
Not on purpose, I generally do typo a fix before I post because my keyboarding skills are crap. I must have fixed it without noticing. Sorry about that.

imagineGod

Legend
I remember the Ryuutama Kickstarter so long ago. Have not heard much about that game since.

I did get to play Anima Beyond Fantasy but though that has a Manga feel to it, definitely not along the lines of Hayao Miyazaki

In other news for fans of his work:

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I remember the Ryuutama Kickstarter so long ago. Have not heard much about that game since.

I did get to play Anima Beyond Fantasy but though that has a Manga feel to it, definitely not along the lines of Hayao Miyazaki

I bought Anima when it came out all those years ago, along with the GM screen and module. To this day it has never been used. It intimidated my group with its giant tables.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am eager to hear more about this. A Miyazaki setting doesn't seem like one that would lend itself to traditional D&D adventures, which is both a good thing and bad thing. But I've got family members who would love this if it's a well-realized setting.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I am eager to hear more about this. A Miyazaki setting doesn't seem like one that would lend itself to traditional D&D adventures, which is both a good thing and bad thing. But I've got family members who would love this if it's a well-realized setting.
I can see the right kind of engine being a treat for the Mononoke, Totoro or Porco Rosso settings. The more fanciful end of his work. I'm less sure about stuff like The Wind Rises or From Up on Poppy Hill. I suspect we'll see something from the fantasy end, the option for child characters, spirits of the land, that sort of thing. It will need to very different form D&D though, for sure.

barasawa

Explorer
Looks like he corrected the name, but didn't make any comments about it. (Until others pointed it out)
That's simply fixing an error without drawing attention to it, pretty much the opposite of making fun of it.

I'd consider that being helpful, especially if someone tried to do a right click search google on it.

Fanaelialae

Legend

They've released a few smaller supplements for Ryuutama since then (at least to their Kickstarters, don't know if they're commercially available), but I think they've been mostly focused on their latest KS, Shinobigami, which is getting ready to ship books soon.

Ryuutama is a cool looking game, though I've only read through the book, not played it. It definitely has a bit of a Miyazaki feel. It has some really unique ideas. The GM takes on the role of a dragon who is watching the adventure from afar. Not a GMPC by any means, but rather a role for the GM to play even when there aren't any NPCs in the scene. I found it an interesting twist on GMing.

imagineGod

Legend
They've released a few smaller supplements for Ryuutama since then (at least to their Kickstarters, don't know if they're commercially available), but I think they've been mostly focused on their latest KS, Shinobigami, which is getting ready to ship books soon.

Ryuutama is a cool looking game, though I've only read through the book, not played it. It definitely has a bit of a Miyazaki feel. It has some really unique ideas. The GM takes on the role of a dragon who is watching the adventure from afar. Not a GMPC by any means, but rather a role for the GM to play even when there aren't any NPCs in the scene. I found it an interesting twist on GMing.
Thanks, never heard of "Shinobigami" so checked it out now. Surprising how many things can pass you by even in a niche hobby universe.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Thanks, never heard of "Shinobigami" so checked it out now. Surprising how many things can pass you by even in a niche hobby universe.

Indeed. In case it's interest, the first KS they did was for a game called Tenra Bansho Zero.

Remove ads

Remove ads