Stupidity or Genius?

Moff_Tarkin

First Post
Warning: wall of text incoming

I used an interesting tactic to escape death in our current game, didn’t work though. Most people thought it was stupid. I think, that because the method was so ridiculous, they just dismissed it as dumb without actually seeing the solid logic behind it. The game is 3.5 D&D.

A Vrock attacked our group of 5 level 4 adventurers. After a few rounds, I found myself with 1 hit point, and toe to toe with the Vrock. The bow was my primary weapon, but it only did 1d8+4 damage, and the Vrock had a 10-damage reduction.

As always we compared the numbers the DM was rolling vs. the ones he was calling to get an assumption of what this particular Vrock had for hit and damage bonus. Maybe DMs should always roll behind screens. Anyhow, with his attack, and my very low AC at the time, a hit was practically guaranteed. And with the damage, going to –10 was practically guaranteed.

So, toe to toe with the Vrock. His next action will be to attack me. That attack will kill me. There is no party member who can help me. No cleric to heal or wizard to distract the Vrock in some way. Death is assured, what are my options?

Running provokes an attack, which is death. I think disengaging makes the first square safe, but he had reach. Anyhow, the had already proved he was willing to take multiple attacks of opportunity from my party members in order to charge at me.

Shooting with the bow, the only weapon with a chance to damage him, provokes an attack, which is death.

The Vrock goes next, so just standing and doing nothing is death.

All is death.

So I punch myself in the head, did some damage and went unconscious. Everyone was shocked. Was it stupid or genius?

In the middle of battle, enemies, especially intelligent ones, don’t use a round to coup de grace an unconscious character while 3 others are whacking it. I am not saying there aren’t situations where it does happen, but my friend and me, both with 16 years of gaming experience, cant recall a single time that is has happened. Now, characters typically go unconscious from being attacked, and not from punching themselves. But the end result is the same.

Anyway, the Vrock takes attacks of opportunity from everyone on him so that he can coup de grace me. The second time he took multiple attack of opportunity just to slaughter the guy who could only do 1 or 2 points of damage, if he was lucky.

So did my idea have any logic behind it? And if you think it was stupid, then please explain why. You see, punching yourself in the head is viewed as a inherently stupid action. Because of this, people mark the action off as stupid without actually asking “Why was it stupid.” I’ll bet that if people actually did ask this question, they would have a hard time finding an answer. But if there is and answer, I am certinally not opposed to hearing it.

Moff_Tarkin

First Post
But why? What was the logic and reason behind taking multiple attacks to kill something of no threat? For that matter why did he take multiple attacks of opportunity to charge at me just because I was the first person to hit, and do a whopping 2 damage. My max by the way.

I told him I wasn’t upset. I just wanted to hear his logic. The creature had to have some logical thought process for doing the things he did, but I cant get the DM to answer what that is. And this isn’t a new thing. In ¾ of the battles this monsters seem to act in ways that don’t follow any sense of logic whatsoever.

Why cant anyone give me the “why” to anything?

Moff_Tarkin

First Post
I’m going to sleep so I will post my closing arguments for the night.

I have a pencil here at my desk. I can shove it into my eye right now, but I wont. Do you know why? Because it’s a detrimental action that has no logical purpose, no positive outcome.

Like taking multiple attacks to get to a person who has almost no chance of hurting you. Or taking multiple attacks to finish a completely harmless, unconscious person, rather then waiting until you deal with the people who are whacking you with big chunks of metal and throwing spells at you.

By punching myself unconscious, I put myself in a position where attacking me would serve no logical purpose. That’s why I believe it was a good idea. It was, quite possibly, the action that resulted in the highest probability of my survival.

Maybe I am just a left brained person, and everyone else is thinking with the right side. That’s why I put more calculations and logical thinking into my actions, and others don’t use logic as a valid motive for their actions.

S'mon

Legend
I think playing dead should be a viable tactic (though I require a Bluff/CHA check, usually DC 10), but hitting yourself hard enough to KO is really hard IRL and as GM I'd have disallowed it and said:

"You can fall over, 'overcome by your wounds'. Bluff check DC 10".

Moff_Tarkin

First Post
Ah ha, someone who sees where I was going with this. Playing dead should be a viable tactic. But it should require a bluff and I had no ranks combined with no charisma. Once again, I calculated the odds and realised that a bluff was impossible. Playing dead wasent going to happen. I had to make it real.

I assume there are actors out there who have endured real pain for the sake of good acting, or to make up for a lack of it.

Jack99

Adventurer
But why? What was the logic and reason behind taking multiple attacks to kill something of no threat? For that matter why did he take multiple attacks of opportunity to charge at me just because I was the first person to hit, and do a whopping 2 damage. My max by the way.

I told him I wasn’t upset. I just wanted to hear his logic. The creature had to have some logical thought process for doing the things he did, but I cant get the DM to answer what that is. And this isn’t a new thing. In ¾ of the battles this monsters seem to act in ways that don’t follow any sense of logic whatsoever.

Why cant anyone give me the “why” to anything?

Because the Vrock is a level 10 monster with absolutely nothing to fear from you guys, so he should do as he please. OA? Should anyone hit it, it would hardly do any damage, due to it's damage reduction.

Now, why your DM would even send such a monster against you guys, well that's another matter..

Bagpuss

Legend
OA? Should anyone hit it, it would hardly do any damage, due to it's damage reduction.

In which cases surely it would go for the spell caster first as it can bypass DR.

Then any other ranged combatant (since it can fly away from trouble).

Yeah from a purely game rules and logic perspective I can see a reason to punch yourself in the head.

Personally I story more and would have just had my character die trying to kill it, or gone for the difficult bluff roll.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I see your point Moff. Playing dead should be viable tactic and S'mon's suggestion on how to run it seems pretty solid. The one thing I wonder though, if the vrock was determined to get you, and see you go down, why'd he even bother using CdG. He could have just taken one or two normal attack to finish you off and then bash your friends with the rest without taking AoO at all. It was more of a bad tactic from your DM to use coup, than from you to play dead.

Remove ads