D&D General Styles of D&D Play

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This is your post from post 68 WAYYY early in the thread. What did you mean by this if you weren't talking about changing the core rules?
When he says "People are arguing..." it's entirely possible he isn't counting himself as one of those people, but merely referring to others.

Hussar

Legend
When he says "People are arguing..." it's entirely possible he isn't counting himself as one of those people, but merely referring to others.
Well, of course he's not referring to himself. He doesn't want to make significant changes after all. @Oofta has created a rather impressive wall around the game.

After all, we're not allowed to change anything in the core of the game because the game is popular and that risks making the game less popular. And, the game's popularity is proof that the core of the game is what most people want.

On the other hand, we're not allowed to have optional rules either because any effort to create optional rules runs the risk of bleeding into the core, similar to how feats, for example, have done in 5e. Additionally, we lack the resources to create optional rules and any effort to create optional rules takes away from developing the stuff that @Oofta actually wants.

It's a really solid wall he's managed to create here. No changes, either to the core of the game or to any optional systems, can be even considered because any change is bad. He wants to carve the game in stone, while rejecting any criticisms as "Minority opinions" and any suggestion that the game is not quite as much of a "big tent" as is claimed is rejected as well because only people who want any sort of new systems - as in "minority opinions" - should be ignored.

Hussar

Legend
In my experience most people are reluctant to deviate from the rules written in the book, even if these rules go against their preferences. I complained about Exalted, and after one campaign with the second edition rules I basically rewrote all the powers and bunch of other stuff to be more of my liking. I have quite a bit of houserules for my D&D game. But most people don't do this. There are a ton of threads on this forum where people complain about some aspect of the game, but they still refuse to implement houserules or even official optional rules that would fix or alleviate the issue. They want the official rules to be changed to their liking. So yes, official rules is what most people will use, and if the discomfort gets too high, like with 4e, they just abandon the whole game rather than change the game.
Oh, and by the way, this was the original post that started this whole tangent. As in someone specifically claiming that "they" as in people who want new rules, wan to change the core rules of the game.

So much for no one ever making that claim.

Oh, and by the way, this was the original post that started this whole tangent. As in someone specifically claiming that "they" as in people who want new rules, wan to change the core rules of the game.

So much for no one ever making that claim.
I said "official", not core. It also was an observation about attitudes more broadly, not just limited to this specific instance.

Give it a rest.

Hussar

Legend
Well, yup. That's me out. Nothing like pointing out being repeatedly badgered for hundreds of posts, stretching back to the earliest parts of this thread, getting a bit annoyed about it, then being jumped on repeatedly for not being "nice" enough in my posts.

Yeah, thanks for the convo boys.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, of course he's not referring to himself. He doesn't want to make significant changes after all. @Oofta has created a rather impressive wall around the game.

Mod Note:
Why are you making this about Oofta? Is his name in the thread title or something?

No? Then leave his person out of it. Address the positions, not the people. If the positions are wrong-headed, you should be ale to make that obvious. Who holds the positions is irrelevant.

Is that clear enough? I hope so. Thanks.

In general, doing the bolded would be much easier - and thus, probably much cheaper - were the game designed on a chassis of discrete subsystems rather than unified mechanics.

It's that which made the TSR editions so wonderfully kitbash-able. The WotC editions, not so much.
"You needed to be actively trying to make things any worse because you already had nothing working like anything else, therefore a bad kitbash didn't stand out" is a weird flex.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I disagree. A "good start" that is left unfinished is an unfinished project and something there for people to trip over especially if they don't want to use it. Nothing at all actively leaves space for you to do something.
Having to just put the pieces together that come out of the Ikea box is way easier than cutting and finishing all the pieces myself before getting to the put-it-together step.

Put another way, if someone's put together 75% of a system, of which I don't like 10% and want to change it, that's still 65% of the work's been done for me.

Having to just put the pieces together that come out of the Ikea box is way easier than cutting and finishing all the pieces myself before getting to the put-it-together step.

Put another way, if someone's put together 75% of a system, of which I don't like 10% and want to change it, that's still 65% of the work's been done for me.
So tell me, why are you so unwilling to look past WotC's output.

If WotC has put together 75% of a system of which I don't like 10% that's still 65% of a system taking up space and that I'm never gonna use. Instead I'm going to Etsy/The DM's Guild/Sly Flourish/Matt Colville/etc.

And I disagree that 65% of the work has been done for me. The 90-10 rule applies if I want to get it right - and I need to measure this thing and carefully remove parts. Or I can start from scratch with something smaller and purpose built that will do this job better.

Remove ads