• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Subclasses impact on class value

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Well, I tend to do that anytime I see a new poster write anything I that in the surface looks like something I could have easily written, if not something I've written almost word for word. I do it as a defensive measure, not to look innocent, but to protect that poster. Since I'm innocent no accusation will stick, but I draw all possible accusations to me instead of the new poster, and I can take it, well more or less, like maybe I'm too used to post here to stop.

:erm:

gyor

Legend
As I said, I like it with regards to spells related to wind or storms like expeditious retreat, feather fall, jump, thunderbolt, gust of wind, levitate, shatter, gaseous form, lightning bolt, sleet storm, ice storm, and chain lightning.That's a nice bit of flavor in that case.

On the other hand, when casting spells like charm person, disguise self, silent image, detect thoughts, tongues, etc. I'm less of a fan of the Heart of the Storm feature. Those spells have nothing to go with storms or storm magic. How exactly does tapping into the power of the storm, the plane of elemental air, or whatever help me to detect thoughts?

Yes, it's probably possible to come up with an explanation, but it will always be like grasping for straws; it's always going to feel like turtles all the way down to me.

Everything the storm sorceror casts is storm magic, even when you use a spell to force the storm magic to behave in none storm ways.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Nah, I'd let them Detect Thoughts etc, without flying or manifesting.

Based on their concept of te character of course.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
So, I feel terrible for what I'm about to do... It feels too much like a drive-by attempt to stir the pot...

But those of you making the claim, and I'm paraphrasing here, "What's with me casting Charm Person and then flying away ten feet?!?" You do realise it's an optional move that requires you to use your bonus action? It's not automatic. If you don't want to fly away ten feet after casting Comprehend Languages... maybe don't?

That said, I do feel it was a missed opportunity for the PHB to not simply include a generic "arcane" bloodline. I understand that's likely what the designers intended the Wild Magic bloodline to be, but they should have been more than a little well aware that some people don't lime having that sort of chaos forced on their character. A simple generic bloodline that doubled down on what sorcerers already do, such as sorcery points, metamagic, and perhaps something like Spell Secrets to round it off would have been nice.

Anyway, as the subject presented in the OP... more subclasses are certainly nice. Even if they don't necessarily add much from a mechanical perspective they do sometimes help players to better build a character that matches their concepts. I don't want to see an increasingly overwhelming number of subclasses released, I could do without the system bloat, being happy with the current release pace, but more are always appreciated.

The only way to not be confused is to realize it is a gamey concept (or "meta-game concern" as you phrase it).

I was trying to help you avoid confusion. D&D is not just a story or a simulator, it is a game too.

If you ignore the obvious answer you want to be confused, and then there's nothing to add.

Have a nice day

As I said, from a mechanics point of view, it make sense. From an in-world perspective, it confuses the heck out of me. Luckily, there aren't too many ability like this in the PHB so I don't have to do so much house ruling.

Everything the storm sorceror casts is storm magic, even when you use a spell to force the storm magic to behave in none storm ways.

Feels like it lessons the flavor of storm magic actually being storm magic. I can play a storm sorcerer and only take enchantment spells. Sounds kinda dumb to me - but to each his own.

So, I feel terrible for what I'm about to do... It feels too much like a drive-by attempt to stir the pot...

But those of you making the claim, and I'm paraphrasing here, "What's with me casting Charm Person and then flying away ten feet?!?" You do realise it's an optional move that requires you to use your bonus action? It's not automatic. If you don't want to fly away ten feet after casting Comprehend Languages... maybe don't?

Of course I realize that. But as the DM, I don't have much control over it. The idea of casting comprehend language for the soul purpose of fly ten feet seems idiotic. Why can't I just fly ten feet without casting comprehend languages? Too many holes for my liking. It's like reflavoring. Some people don't have a problem with it, some do.

Please choose a perspective that doesn't cause you confusion.

Yes, but we play a complex game in which a single perspective does not dominate. D&D is more like a prison than a plane of glass. Shine a light through it and you can see multiple colors, all equally important. When one of those colors is distorted, it creates a ripple throughout the game. I prefer to minimize those distorted colors. For others, though, the ripples they cause might not be so important.

Remove ads