• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subscribing to D&D Insider

Will you subscribe to D&D Insider?

• Yes

Votes: 85 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 74 26.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 114 41.0%
  • What is "D&D Insider"?

Votes: 5 1.8%

SPoD

First Post
Yesterday, my answer would have been "Yes".

But the front page news regarding the Q&A indicates that the online component will be PC-only. I only own a Mac, and I only use a Mac at work. Therefore, I literally cannot subscribe to DnD Insider. Or rather, I could, if I don't mind getting only a fraction of the content the rest of you will be getting at the same price. Which, as it happens, I do mind very much.

So until they announce Mac compatibility, my answer is a firm "No".

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
But the front page news regarding the Q&A indicates that the online component will be PC-only. I only own a Mac, and I only use a Mac at work. Therefore, I literally cannot subscribe to DnD Insider. Or rather, I could, if I don't mind getting only a fraction of the content the rest of you will be getting at the same price. Which, as it happens, I do mind very much.

There's been mention of the content being available "pay as you go." No subscription, you still get some stuff for free, and you can buy into things one bit at a time. My guess is that the digital tabletop and the character designer run on hardcore Intel stuff. The rest, maybe you can get anyway. :)

Palaner

First Post
My impression is that D&D is now a subscription-based game. Although the books will give you a start like the Basic Set, Wizards wants you to subscribe to the rest of the game.

No thanks.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
A guarded "no."

As others have noted, I get far more bang for my buck from Pyramid. Now, throwing the resources behind Dragon and Dungeon magazines definitely adds oomph to DDI, but I don't buy those anyways, and generally only read the Class Acts and cartoons in back and Greyhawk-related stuff. (I hate the Forgotten Realms fluff. Anything from Ed Greenwood is expensive litter box liner. Eberron is conceptually cool, but has never enticed me. I keep thinking that the setting creators keep thinking how cool it is, so it comes off as a kid who tells everyone loudly at every chance he gets just how cool he is. And I don't need more monsters or another cap system.) Still, we're talking about about a tested, developed adventure every couple of weeks, maybe something like the Adventure Paths. Since the expenditure is just $10 a month, I can see this if I bought fewer books.

What I'd prefer is buying are the core books then the DDI and then nothing else. Make additional printed product rare things, often compilations of DDI or really ambitious topics, like psionics. Make the Complete and Races series (the former is about the only additional printed material that interests me anyways) online things, a prestige class for arcane, divine and martial characters each a month, along with a constant, slow-but-steady diet of new feats, spells, monsters and magic items. For new crunchy bits, you rarely need the whole book at the table, so a printout is preferable. Wizards would get a bit more of my loot each year and spend less money on printing and shipping.

Oh, and the lack of Mac support doesn't help me pull out my credit card, though I expect that to change after the first year or so.

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
My answer (probably not unsurprising) is "yes", provided I can figure out their interface. Heck, I'm only a computer engineer and math teacher, though.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I don't think I'd be sitting around trying to join random games with D&Di, but the idea of joining a recurring campaign (Every Wednesday at 6PM, guys!) sure sounds spiffy-keen to me!

catsclaw227

First Post
Hjorimir said:
I don't think I'd be sitting around trying to join random games with D&Di, but the idea of joining a recurring campaign (Every Wednesday at 6PM, guys!) sure sounds spiffy-keen to me!
This is my thought as well. I won't be seeking random games when I log in, it woudl be to play in my regularly scheduled weekly game (maybe even 2 of them).

I want the unlocked content, the electronic Dungeon and Dragon magazines, the additional articles, etc. I already buy DUngeon and Dragon in PDF from paizo, when available, and my AoW is starting already and the electronic content makes my DMing SOOOO much easier.

I embrace the modernization, the electronic distribution, the electronic gaming tools, the online collaboration, the electric game aids, and anything that will help make my game easier and richer.

I like print content too, but I don't get freaky when I can't "cuddle up with my magazine". If I want to read it, I will print it out. And then I can mark it up IN PEN AND HIGHLIGHTER and not worry about tainting it's pureness.

It's all intended to make the game easier, more fun, and available. It's not there for the sole purpose of screwing the gamer.

Mighty Veil

First Post
Does it have a URL yet? Just $10/mo, huh? Yeah maybe. I have a job. $10 every month is not much. It's not like saving $10 is going to make my mortgage go faster. ;-)

Mighty Veil

First Post
Though I am sure any good crunchy stuff, like a new class or ability, will quickly make it to other "free" ways to get a hold of it. It is the net.

Remove ads