D&D 5E Sudden Realization On Darkvision Wording

ezo

I cast invisibility
The notion that each coin is 1/10th of a pound is rather amusing... I wonder where that one came from!
Remember that in AD&D, encumbrance was not just weight, but bulk as well. So, I would guess they reasoned that 10 coins, considering both weight and space / bulk used, would be close to 1 lb. 🤷‍♂️

MarkB

Legend
Remember that in AD&D, encumbrance was not just weight, but bulk as well. So, I would guess they reasoned that 10 coins, considering both weight and space / bulk used, would be close to 1 lb. 🤷‍♂️
This is why fantasy banks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.

1784c893f00ad4238ac08feff3f84c8cac79f1a5.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Why would infrared vision in 1e be affected by light? Infravision is not done with photoreceptors. If the light source is not causing much head, it should not affect infrared vision. It is daylight temperatures that affect infrared vision, not the light itself.

MarkB

Legend
Why would infrared vision in 1e be affected by light? Infravision is not done with photoreceptors. If the light source is not causing much head, it should not affect infrared vision. It is daylight temperatures that affect infrared vision, not the light itself.
Could be an instinctive reaction. In nature there aren't many light sources that aren't also heat sources, so when a creature picks up a lot of light they shut down their infravision before it can become overwhelmed.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Because Gary didn't understand how it worked.

The notion that each coin is 1/10th of a pound is rather amusing... I wonder where that one came from!
I looked it up for today's game: a US quarter weighs 1/5 of an ounce, so it would technically be 80 to a pound unless the coins were eight times as heavy (not unbelievable if they're real gold and a bit bigger)

Although I always remember it as 50 coins to the pound, which is a lot closer. (coins should be about dollar-coin sized)

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
I looked it up for today's game: a US quarter weighs 1/5 of an ounce, so it would technically be 80 to a pound unless the coins were eight times as heavy (not unbelievable if they're real gold and a bit bigger)
It's fun when they find hoards in real life archaeology: 10,000 roman gold coins found in a clay pot under an outhouse, or whatever.

ezo

I cast invisibility
In terms of actual ancient and medieval coins, about 50 to a pound is fairly accurate IIRC given the wide variety and range of coins. The Roman denarius, for example, was about 7 g, which would be about 65 denarii / pound.

Remove ads