Suggest a feat for a witch hunter

jasin

Explorer
I'm making a rogue 1/cloistered cleric 3 for an Eberron game. The idea is a guy who uses brain rather than brawn to handle himself in melee.

My domains are War (longsword as a favoured weapon), Travel and Knowledge, and I have Knowledge Devotion (to make up some for crappy BAB) and Able Learner (to avoid losing skill points to cross-class surcharges).

That leaves me with one more feat to pick. I can use all the Completes, all Eberron books, PHB2.

Jack of All Trades would fit the character and let me at least try my luck with Knowledge Devotion even with knowledges in which I don't have any ranks.

Combat Reflexes would put me on the road to Vexing Flanker, which is pretty sweet for a rogue, especially one hurting for attack bonus, but is kind of boring on its own. Also, I'd rather pick something unusual than something that gives the biggest bonus, since the menu is somewhat wider than I'm used to, so I want to use the opportunity to try out something new.

Are there any good reserve feats for clerics? Are there any other feats that introduce a new mechanic (along the lines of reserve feats) that could be useful for this character?

irdeggman

First Post
Since you won't be a melee type (not with the poor BAB and reduced HD from cloistered cleric) try one of the following:

Ritual Blessing (from PHB II). Gives some rituals that can be done based on ranks in Knowledge (Relgion) that could be useful.

Divine Ward (PHB II) - basically you can increase the range of touch spells to close with one target (good for those CLW spells). Spend turn attempts to power.

Complete Champion has some reserve feats for divine casters - but I don't think they will be real useful (most have domain prereq that you don't have).

Touch of Healing might be useful (prereq ability to cast 2nd level spells - so would have had to take 3 levels of cloistered cleric prior to any of rogue).

Complete Champion also some Domain feats that might fit.

Travel Devotion - 1/day as a swift action can move your speed (thus still alowing a full round action in addition to moving).

War Devotion - 1/day when fighting defensively - stacks with normal fighting defensively penalties/bonuses.

You might want to focus on UMD instead - and go with Magical Aptitude (PHB) for the bonus to Spellcraft and UMD checks.

jasin

Explorer
Since you won't be a melee type (not with the poor BAB and reduced HD from cloistered cleric)
Actually, I was planning to be...

Look at it this way: hp aren't any worse than a rogue's, AC is a shield of faith away from matching the rogue's, and Knowledge Devotion makes up for BAB (iterative attack will have to wait, of course).

Ritual Blessing (from PHB II). Gives some rituals that can be done based on ranks in Knowledge (Relgion) that could be useful.
That sounds interesting! I'll check it out.

Travel Devotion - 1/day as a swift action can move your speed (thus still alowing a full round action in addition to moving).
This would be really interesting with Whirlwind Attack or TWF...

War Devotion - 1/day when fighting defensively - stacks with normal fighting defensively penalties/bonuses.
I was less than impressed with that one. 1/day, get the benefits of Combat Expertise (a bit better at high levels). I'd rather just take Combat Expertise.

irdeggman

First Post
If you want to be more melee than spellcasting - drop the cleric route totally.

Go with ranger (for favored enemy benefits and two weapon fighting) and rogue.

You are losing too many spellcasting levels by trying to dip into rogue (especially if adding more levels) to be an effective spellcaster.

I tried a ranger/warlock as a demon hunter. Interesting combo themeatically but lacked the oomph for either one to be effective.

Since you are playing in a Eberron game, perhaps going the psionic route might work better.

The Kalashtar soulknife racial substitution levels from Races of Eberron give a nice paladin-like flavor to the character. It might be interesting to do the soulknife/rogue combo for max benefits. Some of the enhancements that a soulknife can place on his blades (especially when dual wielding) can add up well for an anti-spellcaster. Add in speed of thought (for increased movement) and then tack on the sneak attack damage. . .

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) As I recall, there is also the mage-hunter PrCl somewhere out there, which makes the PC a bit more effective at taking down arcane casters. That might be a good choice for you. It may, however, be only in a FR book.

2) Instead of rogue 1, you might look into the alt-rogue base classes in the books you have access to. For a "Witch Hunter," Ninja (CompAdv), Spellthief (CompAdv) and Lurk (CompPsi) might have some benefits you might prefer.

3) If you go the Soulknife route, ask if you can have access to Dragon #341 (very good Soulknife mindblade feats), and Hyperconscious (another book from Cordell, has a good Soulknife PrCl).

4) As for Feats, I'd consider Wild Talent (or Soulknife to get it) in order to segue into Pyro- or other energy kineticist. That way, if the mages want to sling stuff at you, you have an endless supply of energy bolts to toss back, plus other nice abilities.

5) Since you're taking Combat Reflexes, I'd suggest Hold the Line (CompWar p100, FR:SS p20) or Deft Opportunist (CompAdv p106) before Vexing Flanker.

frankthedm

First Post
Witch hunter you say...:]

IIRC one of the Complete Arcane book had a few anti caster feats in it. The one that gives bonus damage against casters is incredibly powerful.

Save your skill points and don't bother with Sense Motive. You know they are guilty.

IIRC BOVD has the rules for torturing someone, which you will need to make them confess their black magics. I do believe it is a skill, thus you'll need those skill points you saved ealier.

A good Search is vital to find evidence of association with Ruinous Powers.

Sadly since the villian may have destroyed the real evidence, a good Slight of Hand will also be very useful to help you "find" enough proof to convince your soft hearted allies the villian needs to be put down.

Listen will not be that needed, cries for mercy and claims of innocence will be falling on deaf ears anyway.:devil:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Since you're going the UA variant class route, have you considered taking the Rogue variant that allows you to give up Sneak Attack in trade for Fighter feats?

I admit, I cracked a smile when I saw that your character concept relies on brains over brawn, and the very next sentence says that one of your domains is War. Might I ask what Deity you've chosen to worship (if any)? Seems to me that the Travel or Liberation domain would have more useful spells in dealing with witches/spellcasters than War (though I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish - be a rogue with Knowledge skills but sup yourself up for direct melee - but IMXP you gotta beat magic withOUT magic, if that makes sense)...

Persistent Spell seems a likely candidate so you can have your armor on "all day", or until someone Dispels it.

rgard

Adventurer
Witch hunter you say...:]

IIRC one of the Complete Arcane book had a few anti caster feats in it. The one that gives bonus damage against casters is incredibly powerful.

Save your skill points and don't bother with Sense Motive. You know they are guilty.

IIRC BOVD has the rules for torturing someone, which you will need to make them confess their black magics. I do believe it is a skill, thus you'll need those skill points you saved ealier.

A good Search is vital to find evidence of association with Ruinous Powers.

Sadly since the villian may have destroyed the real evidence, a good Slight of Hand will also be very useful to help you "find" enough proof to convince your soft hearted allies the villian needs to be put down.

Listen will not be that needed, cries for mercy and claims of innocence will be falling on deaf ears anyway.:devil:

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Remove ads