• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for a Kelvezu Assassin?

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
I'm looking to create a kelvezu assassin for a friend and I need suggestions on classes, PrCs, feats and magical items.

There should be 10-15 class/PrC levels and any combination that works will do. This NPC needs to be totally geeked out, because the players - as I'm told - have been getting it "too easy" as of late. We have access to most of WOTC's stuff, in addition to a smattering of other books/sources.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
Obviously, rogue and assassin levels stack well with the kelvezu's ability to already dish out +8D6 sneak attack damage, and there are a few feats in AEG's Mercenaries that allow sneak attack damage to be improved. Craven, from Champions of Ruin, is a good feat selection as well, as it lets the kelvezu deal extra damage equal to it's level on sneak attacks.

As for magical items, how about the swrd of subtlety from the DMG? What kind of good, specific weapons or properties can be given to the kelvezu or his weapon that will increase sneak attack damage?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Consider not taking assassin levels.

Consider taking shadowdancer levels. Pick up darkstalker (move silent and hide work against blindsense, blindsight and tremorsense).

Consider disguising the monster. If the guy's immune to fire, have him choose an illusionary form that's weak against it for instance.

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
Looking at the Shadowdancer PrC, I don't see where there would be a whole lot of advantage to taking this PrC for the creature/concept in question.

A kelvezu already has evasion and uncanny dodge. It's teleport and invibility spell-like abilities are arguably better than shadow jump. Aside from some shadow based stuff, like summon shadow and shadow illusion, I think that either the base rogue or assassin PrC would be a much better fit.

Are there any magical items out there that increase the amount of SA damage done?

the Jester

Legend
Why not just add 10-13 assassin levels to the kelvezu?

Simple and effective.

Keep in mind that at 21 HD the kelvezu becomes eligible for epic feats- I would suggest Lingering Damage.

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
That is definitely a possibility. I was also thinking abiut taking the Void Incarnate PrC at epic levels.

BTW, the target ECL is 35, so exactly what level can I make that Kelvezu, in regards to classes and PrCs?

Infiniti2000

First Post
the Jester said:
Keep in mind that at 21 HD the kelvezu becomes eligible for epic feats- I would suggest Lingering Damage.
Not exactly, but since the DM is creating such a creature, it works well enough. A creature is only epic when it's character level is above 21. For example, a t-rex advanced to 21HD is not epic at only CR9 by any stretch of the imagination. :) Unfortunately, there's little guidelines for advancing a monster into the realms of the epic character.
Muaythaidaddy said:
BTW, the target ECL is 35, so exactly what level can I make that Kelvezu, in regards to classes and PrCs?
Don't confuse ECL with CR. Are you looking to create a PC or an NPC that will travel with the party? If not, don't think in terms of ECL at all. Basically, you have a creature with CR18 and you want to add +17 CR to it, right, for a total challenge rating of 35 for (presumably) a 35th level party?

Remove ads