Suggestions for photographing miniatures?

Ruined

Explorer
Hi there. I've recently gotten a few minis painted by friends of mine. The miniatures are exceptionally done, and I'd like to show off the work here. Yet photographing them seems a bit daunting. Anyone have tried and true advice for zooming in on these tiny figures to capture the detail?

Thanks.

rurbonas

First Post
If your FLGS carries older issues of White Dwarf, I'd suggest picking up (or borrowing from a friend) a copy of issue 303 (April 2005). There's one full page of very detailed tips for getting good results photographing miniatures.

Granted, $10 is a bit much to pay for a single page, so borrowing from a friend might be wiser, but I've found White Dwarf to be a good source of inspiration (and self-doubt) when it comes to painting.

D'karr

Adventurer
The following link leads to the articles section of the Coolminiornot Website. Look down the page and you'll see a whole section comprised on articles about miniature photography.

Granted, not all the articles will apply to the type of photography you are doing but the techniques might help you to get sharper pictures of those minis. The articles that cover lighting are probably going to be very helpful.

Of course a lot of this is going to depend on how close you can get your camera to the action so the article that covers camera setup might be helpful.

Like I said not everything will apply but the techniques are sound.

Good luck.

Remove ads