Sultans of a lesser Smack

Corran

Explorer
Ok, so we've all seen the Sultans of Smack but how about a new challenge.

Show me a smackworthy character of no more than level 10, without any magic items.

Only WotC books allowed (I know they aren't all that balanced, but including Relics and Rituals and friends just makes the smacks silly).

One Trick Ponies are allowed but it's more of challenge to avoid them. ;-)

Corran

Explorer
Chris Nagle said:
When you say without magic items does this inculde spells?

Can you have up to 5th level spells running?

No, magic users can use their spells, that's all they live for. ;-)

Non-spellcasters asking their friends to cast spells on them are frowned upon however. ;-)

reapersaurus

Explorer
Corran said:

No, magic users can use their spells, that's all they live for. ;-)

Non-spellcasters asking their friends to cast spells on them are frowned upon however. ;-)
so.. you want a smackdown that's only for spellcasters, i take it?

Than why didn't you state that as a condition? ;)

Stalker0

Legend
Dwarven Wizard 1/Fighter7/ Dwarven Defender 1

AC 10
+ 1 Dex 13
+7 Shield Spell
+2 Protection from Evil
+1 Dodge
+4 Against Giants
+4 Defensive Stance
+1 Defender AC Bonus
+11 Adamantite Full Plate
+ 3 Adamantite Large Shield
+ 2 Adamantite Buckler (don't know about this one)
+ 5 Expertise
+3 fighting defensively
+2 from Aid Another
= 36 AC.

That's the best I can think of without too much magic.

Crothian

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Dwarven Wizard 1/Fighter7/ Dwarven Defender 1

AC 10
+ 1 Dex 13
+7 Shield Spell
+2 Protection from Evil
+1 Dodge
+4 Against Giants
+4 Defensive Stance
+1 Defender AC Bonus
+11 Adamantite Full Plate
+ 3 Adamantite Large Shield
+ 2 Adamantite Buckler (don't know about this one)
+ 5 Expertise
+3 fighting defensively
+2 from Aid Another
= 36 AC.

That's the best I can think of without too much magic.

Well, your maths off a bit. Also, you can only apply one shield at a time, so no buckler and large shield. However, you can include Improved Expertise which would allow up to +8 expertise.

Corran

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
so.. you want a smackdown that's only for spellcasters, i take it?

Than why didn't you state that as a condition? ;)

Not at all, I want to see smackdowns for all classes. ;-)

How did you infer that I only wanted spallcaster smackdowns??

My only request is that the smackdowns are self-contained and not dependant on magic items or spells cast by someone else than the smackdown character.

I want to see characters that aren't so reliant on the above mentioned things. Not all campaigns are so magic rich as assumed in the Sultans of Smack thread. In a FR campaign I DM, the 10th level characters don't have any +2 weapons or armor for instance.

Last edited:

AvarielAvenger

First Post
Corran said:

Not at all, I want to see smackdowns for all classes. ;-)

How did you infer that I only wanted spallcaster smackdowns??

My only request is that the smackdowns are self-contained and not dependant on magic items or spells cast by someone else than the smackdown character.

I want to see characters that aren't so reliant on the above mentioned things. Not all campaigns are so magic rich as assumed in the Sultans of Smack thread. In a FR campaign I DM, the 10th level characters don't have any +2 weapons or armor for instance.

Reapersaurus is correct in his assumption, if those are your requirements. It is a built in balance factor in D&D that high level Fighters, Rogues and so on will have access to magic items. The power of those classes does not come purely from within the abilities they have, but what they can do in conjuction with those abilities and powerful magic items.

If you take away magic items, and restrict them, you are giving class that have an inherent "magic" a huge advantage. Sorcerers, Monks and Clerics in particular. In a campaign with, say, no access to flying equipment and barely any magic weapons, no Fighter or Rogue would be a match for a Sorcerer, for example.

The Sorcerer could simply cast Protection From Arrows, Fly, and bombard his enemies from above. And they would not be able to do anything about it. Magic items are built into the game, as part of the balance. If you take that away, the classes with inherent magical abilities become far more powerful than those without them.

Remove ads