• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sultans of Smack

jabberwocky

First Post
wounding smack

so, this is inspired by the thri-kreen+girralon's blessing remark and by the thread about wounding, etc.
i'm doing this from work and from memory, so feel free to point out any mistakes i make
this is also not fully fleshed out for damage, etc, just number of attacks and bleed damage, so i guess it's not a true smackdown, but...*shrug*

thri-kreen fig2/bar1/ran1/gladiator9 (ECL 16)
BAB +15 (for greater multiweapon fighting)
relevant feats + class abilities
Vicious Wound (from Savage Species)
Multi-weapon fighting
Ambidexterity
Improved Multi-weapon fighting
Greater Multiweapon fighting
make them bleed (gladiator)

7 +1 wounding crescent knives (8000 gp each)
1 +1 wounding, speed crescent knife (72,000 each)
8 flasks alchemist viciousness (50gp each) (from wizards website)
total 120,400 GP

since these are crescent knives there are two strikes with each one - if necessary all of the wounding weapons can be enchanted as double weapons to make sure each blade of the crescent knife does wounding damage - in that case 240,400 GP

have girallon's blessing cast on the thri-kreen for two extra pairs of arms

8 arms*3attacks each, +1 from speed weapon
total attacks=25, becomes 50 for the crescent knife
if every attack is successful (unlikely, but it could happen), you end up with +1 bleed from 'wounding' + 1 from 'make them bleed', +1 from 'vicious wound' + 1 from 'alchemists viciousness'= 4 bleed damage from every attack

which brings you to a total of 200 points of pure bleeding damage at the beginning of the next round as all of the unlucky victim's blood drops out of his body!

so, does this count? anything that makes this totally invalid?

Deaths_Fist

First Post
jabberwocky said:
have girallon's blessing cast on the thri-kreen for two extra pairs of arms

Girallon's Blessing can only give a Medium-sized creature a total of six arms, so you're only going to get one extra pair of arms out of it. That IS some impressive bleeding, though. Maybe not a true smack, but still MEAN. :D

BTW, where are the crescent knives from?

Last edited:

jabberwocky

First Post
Girallon's Blessing can only give a Medium-sized creature a total of six arms, so you're only going to get one extra pair of arms out of it. That IS some impressive bleeding, though. Maybe not a true smack, but still MEAN.

well, darn...ok reworking this
(the crescent knives are from one of the early 3e dragons - same one that had the elven thinblade. they let you make two attack rolls doing 1d3+1/2 str bonus for every attack - same general mechanic as shuriken, but melee)
swap thrikreen out for a human (you can still get 6 arms, right?)
so you still have 36 attacks (6 arms*3 iterative)*2
to make up the 3 ecl for thrikreen take two more level of fighter and one rogue, take arterial strike (from song and silence) which lets you swap 1d6 sneak attack for 1 bleeding damage.
drop the speed wounding knife and get boots of haste
use the move-equivalent from haste to use bluff (gladiator ability)
half of your attacks do an extra one point (same reasoning as shuriken - one sneak attack per attack, even with multiple strikes)
this gets us 18*5+18*4=162
the last 38 points, damn, cant quite make it - if you had greater wounding (MMII) instead of wounding on all your weapons, the damage goes back up to 198 - 2 points short! *arg!* (it also gets real expensive as greater wounding is a +4 modifier)
*shrug* i suppose you can always just be polymorph into a giant, and then use girallon's blessing, and get the eight arms to do the original 200 points.

RigaMortus

Explorer
I'd like to submit 2 feats to the Iaijutsu Smackdown, both come from the "Races of Faerun" book.

Low Blow & Improved Low Blow...

Without typing these feats out word for word, the gist of it is...

With Low Blow you can enter an opponent's square, as long as that opponent is one size category larger than you. You can make a single melee attack against the opponent who is FLAT-FOOTED to you for this attack. After the attack, you return to your original 5' square. This attack provokes an AoO, which can be negated with Improved Low Blow. It is also a Full Round Action to do.

You also need Dodge, Mobility and at least a +4 BAB for the Low Blow prereq. It also helps to play a Small Race. And Low Blow also counts as a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Jeremy said:
Iaijutsu Smackdown
Originally posted by Furious Puffin

Hopefully this will work, as Enboards is acting kinda weird, saying that my I.P address was banned and then displaying it - as full stop.

This is a smackdown build around the Iaijutsu Focus skills and the Iaijutsu Master Prestige class from OA. For those who are no aware, the Iaijutsu Focus is a charisma based skill that allows you to do lots of extra damage (dependant on a skill check) if you a) catch your enemy flat-footed and b) and attack immediately after drawing a weapon

The character 4 samurai/ 1 fighter/ 1 ranger/ 10 Iaijutsu Master

Stats: 18 in dexterity and charisma. Everything else can be assumed to be 10, putting your bonus points into Charisma

Skills: 19 ranks of Iaijutsu Focus

Magic: Armour of Command from DotF for a charisma of 26
A ring of +10 to Iaijutsu Focus (Use the item creation rules in the DMG)
Boots of speed

Regular equipment: 2 Katanas and one wakizashi

Feats: (Only those in addition to class granted ones) - Fill up the rest with whatever else

Weapon Focus: Katana (Entry into Iaijutsu Master)
Weapon Prof: Katana
Quick Draw
Power Attack - Iaijutsu (OA)
Skills focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
Improved Initiative
Combat Reflexes
Expert tactician
Imp two weapon fighting

The plan:

Confront your target and get within 5 feet of him, after activating boots of speed. Insult his mother - or whatever seems necessary and initiate combat. The 10th level Iaijutsu Master ability "Strike with no thought" to get a free surprise round. Resolve all attacks, win initiative (Initiative bonus of 16, and if your DM was stupid enough to let you Faerun stuff you could pull +20) and resolve all attacks again. Every round drop your weapon (free action) and quick draw a new one (free action) and use Iaijutsu Focus for extra damage. Your average skill roll will grant +9d6 and a further +1d6 from Power Attack - Iaijutsu (OA feat) and then a further +8 to every dice from the Iaijutsu Master for an almighty 125 damage average per strike before all other bonuses

Also, due to the Iaijutsu Master special ability "I don't have my copy of OA handy and will look it up later" , you can make two attacks with a Katana and still move - this implies that a double Katana attack is a partial action.

Opening (surprise) round

Katana attack/ Exp tact. attack/Haste Katana attack/ Exp tact. Attack

First round

Full Katana attack+ dual wakizashi attack/ Exp tact attack/Haste Katana attack/ Exp tact. Attack

Therefore over the course of the two rounds you have made a huge 20 attacks for an average 2500 points of damage if all attacks hit. Adding weapon damage you end up with 2610 points of damage, before the other guy has reacted.

The smack is unfortunately slightly conditional on that fact that nether party surprises the other (to allow you to get your surprise round) and one of the magic items in not official. Removing the ring drops the damage by 2d6+16 per attack and shaves of 410 damage from the combo, leaving it with 2200 damage. Any further charisma boosts add +20 damage per +2 to charisma.

Last edited:

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Good job on the Iaijutsu smack. I never read it close enough to see that it was possible to pull off more than once per combat.

Only problem is that you can only gain one attack from Expert Tactician per round. So you're losing 2 attacks and 261 points of damage. This puts you at about 1949 IIRC, which is still frickin respectable

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Only problem is that you can only gain one attack from Expert Tactician per round.

The Song and Silence FAQ states otherwise, but that whole question is horribly answered, and should be ignored.

-Hyp.

Bodah

First Post
I have a question about the leadership smackdown..

How is it that you are able to the leadership feat multiple times? I mean is there some rule somewhere that states you can take the feat as many times as you want or what?

edit: side question thats semi-related to this. How the heck do you determine cohort level? I've been looking at some of the examples and I have no idea how they come up with these levels for the cohorts in the examples.

Last edited:

Burne

First Post
Pg 2. Leadership Smack writer.

While I can't justify rules-wise that you can take leadership more than once, the topic has come up on the boards more than once, (and perhaps in a semi-offical sage ruling) that "sure, why the heck not!".

As for how I generated the levels, cohorts earn a 1/2 share of any XP earned, so if a 4 person party with 1 cohort earns 4500 Xp, each party member gets 1000xp, and the cohort earns 500xp. I just sat down and figured out how much xp each cohort would recieve as its leader gained levels. I did this one level at a time as I was handling so many Cohorts at once, but for a single cohort. Cohort Starting Lvl's base XP + (PC's current Xp total - PC's Xp total when cohort was gained )/2. Will give you the correct answer. That is why early cohortsfall behind, and new cohorts are better. New cohort's come in at a level determined by your leadership score, old ones don't.

As I side note, if you actually made the leadership smack guy at the top end you and your cohorts would be consuming a 5.5 share of the Xp earned. That means more that twice as much XP must be earned to generate that same person Xp split. Example, 4 person party plus 9 cohorts earns 9500 xp, that number is divided by 9.5 with each PC receiving 1000cp and each cohort receiving 500Xp.

Bodah

First Post
While I can't justify rules-wise that you can take leadership more than once, the topic has come up on the boards more than once, (and perhaps in a semi-offical sage ruling) that "sure, why the heck not!".

Ah ok.

About the cohort level thing, I should clarify that I was curious about the starting cohort level as given by the examples in the DMG. Not your cohort levels. For example the DMG lists a Unicorn as an 8th level equivalent character. How do they determine what level the creature is equivalent to?

Remove ads