Sultans of Smack

thegreatbuddha

First Post
I use a hybrid of 2e shield and 3e shield IMC. It functions as normal, but it blocks one magic missile spell and is destroyed in the process. It just seems overpowered otherwise :)

You can also do this smack with a Scarred Lands spell. I don't remember the name of the spell, but it's a magic missile that deals fire damage and its 2 missiles+1/2 levels. They require ranged touch attacks, which would be 60 in this case, at +12 to hit (with an 18 Dex). If they all hit, that would be 630 points of damage.

Will 3.5e smacks have their own thread?

How about 3.5e smacks with 3.0e classbooks? :D

The psycho feedback one covered more of the details but was more of a power play then a fully fleshed out and optimized smackdown.

What's the difference between a power play and a smackdown?

(Okay, the smackdown has to be difficult to set up...)

Jeremy

Explorer
General Requirements for the term "smackdown":

-Creative
-Entertaining
-16 level PC’s/Good Guys or lower (CR20 Monsters/Bad Guys or lower)
200+ points of damage in a single round to one opponent or more (cumulative damage does not apply, i.e. no 60 damage fireball that hits 4 people), preferably if not the first round, then the first round then enemy can react to you
-Legal according to published rules, sourcebooks, and expansions

General definition of the term "power play":

A combination of feats, class abilities, racial abilities, magical items, and/or spells and powers that have strong synergy.

So the suggestion of using the large amount of temporary power points from a mindfeeder weapon to boost physical stats by an incredible amount would be a power play, while a fully fleshed out 16th level character being shown to employ this tactic with an assortment of gear and classes that would further optimize it for an entertaining and impressive opening round performance would be a smackdown.

The above terms and terminology are only my opinion, and as this project is community built and imagined, is only as important relative to the amount of alcohol imbibed prior to reading it. ;)

TabulaRasa

First Post
The Half ogre BMF

Ok. Now it is my turn to make a smack down.
I have just got Savage Species. It is full of great broken races, spells and items.

The BMF
Half ogre ECL +1
Stats made with pointbuy 32
Str: 18+6+4+4+4+4+6+10=56
Race, leveling, manual, size, rage, belt, greater frenzy
Dex: 12-2=10
Con: 14+2+6=22
Race, item
Int: 14-2=12
Wis: 8=8
Cha: 8-2=6

Level
1: Barbarian
2: Fighter
3: Fighter
4: Fighter
5: Fighter
6: Tribal protector
7: Tribal protector
8: Frenzied berserker
9: Frenzied berserker
10: Frenzied berserker
11: Frenzied berserker
12: Frenzied berserker
13: Frenzied berserker
14: Frenzied berserker
15: Frenzied berserker
16: Frenzied berserker

Bab 16/11/5/1
Saves: fort 21; Ref 8; Will 5
AC: 14 (10 base +4 natural +5 armor +4 haste -1 size -2 size ring -4 frenzy -2 rage)
Feats: Intimidating Rage, Power attack, Cleave, Greater Cleave, Destructive rage, Exotic weapon prof gold great axe, Weapon focus Great axe, Weapon special Great axe,
Class features: Supreme cleave, Deathless Frenzy, Wild fighting, Remain Conscious, improved power attack, greater frenzy, inspire frenzy 2/day, Frenzy 4/day, Tribal enemy, Homeland
Skills: Wilderness lore 4

To make this smack down BMF need:
Ring of growth 18.000.- (pg 54 SS)
Belt of giants strength +6 36.000.- (dmg)
Potion of haste 750.- (dmg)
Rhino hide 5.165.- (dmg)
Potion of Lion's Charge 50.- (pg 68 SS)
Heavy (gold) Huge great axe +1 of speed 60.980.-(MOF, dmg)
Manual of gainful exercise +4 110.000.- (dmg)
Braces of health +6 36.000.-
In all 266.000.-

To make this work BMF need the party wiz or cleric to cast "Girallon's Blessing" (pg 66. SS) on BMF after he has activated the ring of growth. This gives BMF 4 extra sets of arms, when he attack holding the huge axe in all 10 arms he gets 5.5 times his Str modifier to damage. (pg 42. SS)

Round 1: Drink potion of haste, activate ring of growth
Round 2: Start frenzy, Drink potion of Lion's charge, Charge and full attack

Attack mod:
+2 charge, +16 Bab, +23 Str, +1 weapon focus, +1 weapon enhancement, -2 size from ring, -1 size from race, -2 from wild fighting, -2 from confusion=36

The Lion's charge makes it possible to charge as a part of a full attack
Atk: 36 dmg: 12D6+258=300
Full attack using wild fight, extra attack from frenzy and extra attack from weapon of speed.
29/24/19/34/34/34; A hit does 6D6+129=150
If all attacks including the charge hit, the damage is 48D6+1200=1386

This BMF is a very nasty opponent, he has natural reach 15" and with the Deathless Frenzy class ability it is not possible to kill him by physical damage in 9 rounds

I know that the Half ogre is +1 ECL. If it is a problem I just remove 1 fighter level. The smack is still valid. He will not have weapon specialization, but that doesn't matter that much.

Charge attack
Atk: 34 dmg: 12D6+248=290
Full attack using wild fight, extra attack from frenzy and extra attack from weapon of speed.
27/22/32/32/32; A hit does 6D6+124=145
If all attacks including the charge hit, the damage is 42D6+868=1015

/Tabula

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
Savage Species-too many attacks

Half-ogre many-attack fighter

Str 18 +6(race) +3(level) +4(Manual) +6(item) = 37 (+13 str mod)
Dex 18 +6(item) = 24(+7 dex mod)

Ftr 9, Brb 1, Tribal Protector 2, Frenzied Bezerker 5

Feats:
1: Destructive Rage
3: Intimidating Rage
6: Ambidex
9: Weapon Focus - Huge Greatsword
12: Weapon Specialization - Huge Greatsword
15: Rapid Shot

Ftr 1: Power Attack
Ftr 2: Cleave
Ftr 4: Great Cleave
Ftr 6: Two Weapon Fighting
Tribal Protector 1: Point Blank Shot

Relevant Class features:
Rage, Frenzy, Wild Fighting

Equipment: (260,000)
72,300 Huge Greatsword (3d6 damage) +4 Throwing Returning "Toothpick"
111,000 Manual of gainful exercise +4
36,000 Belt of Giant's Str +6
36,000 Gloves of Dex +6
3,650 Full-plate with +1 armor spikes
Potion of Haste

Melee Attack (while rage + frenzy) 15 (BAB) +13 (str) +5(rage+frenzy) = 33
Missle Attack 15 (BAB) +7 (dex) = 22
Huge Great Sword Melee: 38/33/28
Huge Great Sword Missle: 27
Armor Spikes: 34

Damage
Huge Greatsword Melee - 3d6 + 23 ~= 33
Huge Greatsword Ranged - 3d6 + 17 ~= 27
Armor Spikes - 1d6 + 7 ~= 10

Full Attack: 3 iterative attacks, + frenzy, wild fighting, haste, rapid shot, and TWF
-6 to all attacks in the round
Melee: Toothpick at +32/+32/+32/+32/+27/+22 and +28 for armor spikes
5 foot step back (during a full attack)
Missle: Toothpick at +21

Against an AC 22 or lower...
95%( 6x( 3d6+23 ) + 1d6+7 + 3d6+17 ) = 95%( 22d6+162 ) ~= 227

Note: this ignores criticals (19-20) and any use of power attack.
For more attacks at a lower bonus, drop the half-ogre and use a non-ECL race. I'm not sure if that would still make it to smack-down range though

Darklone

thegreatbuddha said:
I use a hybrid of 2e shield and 3e shield IMC. It functions as normal, but it blocks one magic missile spell and is destroyed in the process. It just seems overpowered otherwise :)

You can also do this smack with a Scarred Lands spell. I don't remember the name of the spell, but it's a magic missile that deals fire damage and its 2 missiles+1/2 levels. They require ranged touch attacks, which would be 60 in this case, at +12 to hit (with an 18 Dex). If they all hit, that would be 630 points of damage.

Flame Bolt from Rituals&Relics I. Love that spell.

Due to description useable with PBS for more damage (Dare to say sneak attack?) :D

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Hmm... Point Blank Shot & Pyro in conjunction with Flame Bolt would mean I was firing a total of 7 Flame Bolt spells, each spell producing 14 bolts (Twinned, remember :)), each dealing 23.5+1d6 damage.

Let's see, thats: 7*14*(23.5+3.5)=2646 average damage, assuming each missile hits.

If we ditch Quicken Spell, pick up a Lesser Rod of Persistent Spell, take Weapon Focus (Flame Bolt), and use one of our 7th level slots to pop out an Extended Double-Empowered Cat's Grace, we can a Dex of 34 (if we put our level up ability points into Dex and find a Tome of Dexterity+5). Our attack bonus with Flame Bolt is now +22 within 30ft, and it's a touch attack.

Against a touch AC of 20, we hit 95% of the time. Thats still 2513.7 points of damage. Outside our 3oft range, that drops to 2415 damage. Still respectable.

Thanks Darklone :)

gorath

First Post
Rogue Scroll Smack

Hi i just found the "Wieldskill" spell (1st level) from Magic of Faerun. It grants the user a +10 competence bonus to all skills.

So take the Rogue Sroll Smack @ page 8 and following progression:

Human: 18 CHA

1 rog: Skill Focus (UMD), Quick Draw
2 clr
3 rog+: Improved Initiative

Now you get

+2 Decipher Script (5 ranks)
+2 Spellcraft (5 ranks) from clr
+2 Skill Focus
+10 Wieldskill
+4 CHA Mod

So after 3rd Level you roll 27-40 at your UMD check, failure 5% rolling 1 at d20. ;-)

you can go for UMD 23 @ Level 11 to use every magic item if you roll at least a 2.

Gorath

Remove ads