• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Monster I-IX Is it worth it?

Thanee

First Post
Most fiendish/celestial creatures understand what the DM says they speak, though.

And I would guess that many DMs say they understand celestial/infernal/abyssal and not common. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Bagpuss

Legend
frankthedm said:
He is just making sure you stay CN. Summoning an evil creature is an evil act.

Funny enough my LE Warlock is having less trouble with the Paladin in another campaign than the CN Cleric is in this one. Technically LE is actually a closer alignment so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
Most fiendish/celestial creatures understand what the DM says they speak, though.

And I would guess that many DMs say they understand celestial/infernal/abyssal and not common. ;)

In the absence of a house rule, Fiendish/Celestial creatures understand Common.

A DM should inform a Conjurer's player in advance if he intends to change that.

-Hyp.

Hawkson

First Post
What happens to an animal whose constitution is upped by +4?

Also, for NA are you limited to the NA lists that appear on the hypertext?

Are there other creatures out there you can summon?

Also, do you know of any creature lists that become available with a summoning feat that opens up the creatures avaialable?

Thanks. I am a new player that likes the druid class and I am trying to learn all the rules and variations

jcfiala

Explorer
Hawkson said:
What happens to an animal whose constitution is upped by +4?

Additional hit points equal to 2* Hit Dice, +2 for Fort Saves. Some critters have poisons whose save DC is Consitution-based.

Also, for NA are you limited to the NA lists that appear on the hypertext?

Are there other creatures out there you can summon?

Also, do you know of any creature lists that become available with a summoning feat that opens up the creatures avaialable?

Thanks. I am a new player that likes the druid class and I am trying to learn all the rules and variations

For the Rules as Written, you're pretty much stuck to that list. If you're playing in Eberron, there are some feats that open up new critters that can be summoned.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm currently playing a druid (just gone from 9th to 10th level) and some of my SNA could have finished encounters on their own when paired with Animal Growth.

Summoning 1d3 Large Hippogriffs I ended up with 3 Huge Hippogriffs which decimated an army camp (precious few magic weapons in the camp to get past the DR 10/magic they acquired)

Fighting something big last week I was delayed in arriving for the game, so my druid was on the sidelines. One round after arriving I summoned 1d3 huge crocodiles. One round after that they were 3 Gargantuan crocodiles which completely shredded our enemy.

Belladonna decided that it was worth the feats to get Augment Summoning, and I've got a whole list of cards of augmented summoned creatures (and also cards for animal growthed versions as well) which is useful for helping combat to go smoothly.

Spontaneous SNA makes the druid an excellent summoner.

Quasqueton

First Post
In the absence of a house rule, Fiendish/Celestial creatures understand Common.

A DM should inform a Conjurer's player in advance if he intends to change that.
Where is this in the rules? My group has always assumed they spoke Fiendish/Celestial. One wizard even took those as his languages so he could communicate with his summoned creatures.

Quasqueton

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads