• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sun Rods are awesome!

Dpulse303

Meat head
I have been thinking about this and i reckon its how you interpret the description, for instance an oil burning lamp or a glowing wispy wizard light might give of say up to 5 - 10 candlepower equivalant to maybe a modern single led torch , now a sunrod (clues in the name) might give of a million candle power say ,focused on a foot long gold tipped rod (3.5 description),
now I might imagine this to be a beam of light such as a modern high end torch might give of ,or maybe just a bulb on the end of a stick eithers good, and im sure that the beam can be focused by cupping it with your hand or cloak. for the purposes of roleplaying , make up your own minds, but i see no reason for such an item not to have the properties its listed with , personal torches are great for close work but for large scale illumination you need a flare. or two :cool:

Eric Tolle

First Post
Yeah, because the idea of nigh-supernatural food never appeared in traditional fantasy.

What, you mean THIS?

Pop-Tarts_Frosted_Strawberry.jpg

Vocenoctum

First Post
That's just insane.

The sun produces light way past 100'.

These are obviously misnamed, maybe they meant "really bright light sticks" or something.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they had sunrods in 3/3.5e. Were they ever this bright and convenient?

Bright, no. Convenient? Sure. They were alchemical though. 4e sunrods must be magical, that radius of light would mean the rods would have to have the brightness of burning magnesium, if not more.

catsclaw227

First Post
d20srd.org said:
Sunrod
This 1-foot-long, gold-tipped, iron rod glows brightly when struck. It clearly illuminates a 30-foot radius and provides shadowy illumination in a 60-foot radius. It glows for 6 hours, after which the gold tip is burned out and worthless. (2gp. 1lb.)

Note: Weight and Price from a separate table.

So 30'/60' instead of the 4e listed 100' (which I still think is a typo). And 6 hours instead of 4e sunrod's 4 hour duration.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I hate sunrods. I hate all alchemical items that popped up in 3e, actually

And I misread the illumination as 20 ft. (4 squares)

I just use torches w/o problems

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads