• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sunder/Improved Sunder

MacMathan

Explorer
Wow, if you hear more people complaining about Sunder than Trip-monkeys in 3.5 I want to know what boards you have been reading? ;)

It is hard to imagine a setup where sundering would be as useful as tripping, unless you are always fighting Gelatinous Cube Men that wield pole arms.

In the end it is always up to the DM but to repeat it has proven to be a sub-optimal feat chain in my own experience and in reading the boards here. I mean how many smackdowns include it?

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
MacMathan said:
Wow, if you hear more people complaining about Sunder than Trip-monkeys in 3.5 I want to know what boards you have been reading? ;)
LOL! I guess I'm including my 3.0 experience here..... Good point, Trip can be overpowered in some situations. However, I've rarely sucked up an AOO to stand after being tripped - usually just take the penalty to attack rolls and AC and get on with it :)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Nyeshet said:
Unless a DM decides to modify the race a little - granting the tentacles the same property of a Hydra's neck (ie: grow another one (or two) if one is cut off). I wonder if a Mindflayer with eight tentacles and Cleave can go for a two-for-one deal? :uhoh: :eek: :p

I've got dibs on setting up the Ettin farms for such mindflayers! Not that Ettins have much of a brain ... but they do have 2!

Back on Topic:

I've had a few players try to sunder - and it rarely proves successful before another player comes in and just whacks the bad guy. I have a few players who like to hogtie every bad guy and interrogate them (my God does this slow up game-play!) and these same players use sunder all the time. But fortunately I have enough other players who are more content with killing the bad guy and taking the treasure... :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads