• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sunder vs. Natural Weapons

DungeonMaester

First Post
Just a little insight from when I run campaigns, called shots and sundering limbs does not become a problem in a campaign so long as you establish the fact that you can not use it as a coupe de grace or any other sort of auto death attack.

its arguable, if called shots should be a normal part of D&D. A argument I agree with is that when it comes to Beholders and Hydras, called shots is How you are spouse to kill them. (Anti magic Eye and Sunder necks respectively.)

For Sundering Limbs, I use STR score as the hardness and Con as the object HP.

---Rusty

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My arguement was much along the lines of "once you establish I can try to cut off someones hand or horn then what keeps me from acid-balling their head off?" With a true-strike and an empower ready to dedicate to the job, I could be the cause of many headless bodies.

IMC, you can sunder natural weapons. The logic goes that sundering doesn't sever the limb, it merely makes it useless for the purposes of attacking your foes. The hardness is equal to your CON modifier, the hit points are equal to your CON score, and when your natural weapon looses that hp, it becomes kind of dead weight until you can repair it with a Heal check and/or hit point healing.

You've clipped the nails, you've hit a nerve in a tooth, you've nicked a muscle in the tail or neck...it's not a head-severing snicker-snack, it's just a pulled muscle or small broken bone. You might've sliced up the monk's wrist, you didn't cut off his hand...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads