Superheroes are a hot commodity -- why aren't superhero RPG's?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I certainly can't speak for anybody else, but I've played a number of superhero games over the years. My main takeaway from them is that they don't feel - to me, at least - like long campaign stuff. They've worked wonderfully for short adventures of a few sessions or so, but for some reason they've never gone on longer than that.

That could just be the games I've played, of course.

hawkeyefan

Legend
My guess as to why there is not a huge increase in superhero RPGs that matches their general increase in cultural popularity is likely because RPGs themselves are still pretty niche, and are just now starting to break through to the mainstream.

The average person may be willing to watch a TV show or movie that involves superheroes. These are forma of entertainment with which they are already familiar. I think willingness to try a tabletop RPG is more rare. It's something many are not familiar with, and often comes with a lot of negative preconceptions.

Hopefully, the recent increase in RPG popularity leads to an increase in superhero RPGs as well. But I think that may take time...as of right now, I think the existing RPG base is generally aware of the games available for a superhero game, and most of us have at least tried these games, if not played them extensively.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah it's probably worth remembering that there's only one RPG with a shot at mainstream. Everything else is too tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Virgo

Explorer
Thank you Dannyalcatraz and Morrus for your input.

Years ago I had a GM who had a similar situation with gaming sessions being okay for short adventures but wasn't feeling it when it came to a full-fledged campaign. What he did was to first outline a multi-session campaign (an alien invasion, for example). He would spend part of the session on a short adventure (like a bank robbery or disaster rescue) and the other part on a chapter of the multi-session campaign (like information-gathering). So when the campaign reached the last chapter (the aliens invade), everything that had been done in the previous sessions would lead up to the finale'.

The best way I can describe it is the format that was used in the television show "Veronica Mars". Each episode would have a story that would be resolved in that hour but there was a major story line that started with the first episode and would progress throughout the season, finishing up on the final episode. We found it worked very well, especially when the GM would give a small teaser at the end of the session on what was in store for the group on the next "issue" (as he called our sessions). :)

Virgo

Explorer
Thank you for your post, hawkeyefan

Another thing I considered was superhero MMO's like "City of Heroes" (RIP), "DC Universe Online" and "Champions Online" in that the game sets up the world like a GM would. However, you're pretty much at the mercy of the MMO's mechanics. While they're good in a pinch (and mostly available 24/7), I prefer the tabletop interaction...yes, even the looks of death from your fellow players when you blow a critical roll. :D

Marvel had an awesome system several years ago in Marvel Heroic RPG with Margaret Weiss Studio, but then they jacked up their licensing fee and the company couldn't afford it. Bit it was a great system and got great reviews.

Marvel Heroic RPG allowed Daredevil to fight along with Thor or the Hulk with no problems. The great thing is that the Cortex Prime KS is running right now (I think 24 hours left) and will bring back the mechanics that we loved for MHR and adding even more stuff to the game.

I feel once Cortex Prime goes out to the public, you'll be seeing alot of Superhero games being runned than before.

Virgo

Explorer
Marvel Heroic RPG allowed Daredevil to fight along with Thor or the Hulk with no problems. The great thing is that the Cortex Prime KS is running right now (I think 24 hours left) and will be bring back the mechanics that we loved for MHR and adding more stuff.

I feel once Cortex Prime goes out to the public, you'll be seeing alot of Superhero games being runned than before.

Thanks for the heads-up, BrockBallingdark -- I will definitely look into it!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been in and run my share of short and long supers campaigns. I think the reasons behind longevity- or lack thereof- are the same for any RPG campaign:

The GM's understanding of the system
The GM's story quality and skill at communicating it
Players buy in for system & campaign

Last edited:

Remove ads