• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernal/Abyssal Words of Power?

boolean

Explorer
While Immortals who know Supernal (all of them) can speak the language to be understood by everyone and understand everyone else's language...
Where do you find the part I bolded? The DMG only says listeners can understand the angel, it doesn't say anything about what the angel can understand (and according to the MM, they only speak Supernal).

Personally I like the idea of an angel who can't negotiate at all. They just turn up, tell you what they want, and expect you to get moving immediately.

The net effect of this is that the PCs already can understand people who normally know Supernal and they can already understand the PC. The only thing the PC gets out of it is being able to speak to Immortals without non-Immortals understanding the PC.

Knowing Supernal also allows PCs to read anything written in Supernal.

surfarcher

First Post
Psht! Someone is making things up!

Go and read page 171 of the DMs Guide for the down-low on Supernal, etc.

Here's the key paragraph...
DMG p171 said:
Words of Power
The Supernal and Abyssal languages are both actual languages used to communicate, but they also include words of power—words whose syllables contain the raw magic of creation (in the case of Supernal) or primordial evil (Abyssal). Player characters can’t know these languages initially. They might eventually learn the basics of communicating in these tongues, but without mastering these mighty sounds. Mortals who learn Supernal don’t gain the ability to have their words universally understood. Texts containing these words in either language could unleash powerful effects—and these tomes or scrolls might be artifacts in their own right.

So your DM has nothing to be concerned about... But he does have a nice fluff bucket for some special scrolls and books :-D

There's a supporting & supplemental info on pages 24-25 of Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons and a footnote bullepoint on page 244.

I couldn't find any relevant references to Supernal in

Divine Power, Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons, Dragon Magazine Annual 2009, Manual of the Planes, Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2, Open Grave or The Plane Below.

lukelightning

First Post
I want to make a character who speaks supernal who thinks he has the "universal language" ability. He goes around speaking "GREETING MY FRIEND HOW ARE YOU, WHICH WAY TO THE TREASURE" loudly.

Turtlejay

First Post
If my first reply sounded snippy, I'm sorry. I had a familiar that allowed me to speak Supernal, and it didn't really end up being any more useful than any other language. Probably less useful, actually. Just don't see the need for a banhammer in such situations. Your DM frightens me!

Jay

Tale

First Post
Where do you find the part I bolded? The DMG only says listeners can understand the angel, it doesn't say anything about what the angel can understand

I have no idea where I found it. Maybe I made it up. I can't find it again if it's there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads