Supernatural RPG

Treebore

First Post
My family has recently gotten into this TV series and have become interested in possibly getting the RPG.

Anyone around here run or play with it?

How well do the rules allow for reproducing things done in the series?

Crothian

First Post
Good enough I think. First off though you have to not hate the cortex system, that seems to be people's biggest problems with it even before they ever play or read the game.

I say the book does good enough because I feel it is more important for the players and GM to capture the feel of the show.

Treebore

First Post
Good enough I think. First off though you have to not hate the cortex system, that seems to be people's biggest problems with it even before they ever play or read the game.

I say the book does good enough because I feel it is more important for the players and GM to capture the feel of the show.

Yeah, but the mechanics need to be fairly close to not interfere.

I've played in a CORTEX sci fi game and a post apocalypse game, but never one that used magic or supernatural stuff. So just wondering how well it emulates mystical/magical/supernatural type stuff.

Crothian

First Post
I've played in a CORTEX sci fi game and a post apocalypse game, but never one that used magic or supernatural stuff. So just wondering how well it emulates mystical/magical/supernatural type stuff.

The only magic I've seen is the basic stuff like the binding circles you see in the show. There has been magic used against characters by NPCs but I don't know how the mechanics really work for them. I think the gun rules work well though. :D

edit: And I'm not sure what the "mechanics need to be close to to not interfere" means. Close to what to not interfere with what?

Treebore

First Post
Well, the mechanics need to allow you to emulate what is done in the shows. Like when demons hit you, how does it handle determining if your thrown 5 feet versus 20 feet? What in the mechanics allows you to stand back up and get back in the fight after taking such a hit? How does it mechanically handle the binding and banishing scenes of the show? That kind of stuff.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Disclaimer: I have not watched the show, though I own a pdf of the Game being discussed (and have read a lot of it).

Cortex generally leaves flying through the air to descriptive effects. Got punched solidly? Then you fly through the air. For little damage? You land on a mattress. For coma-inducing stun-damage? You crash through a brick wall and break half the bones in your body.
Especially troublesome descriptions (flung out of the building and having to take time to get back to the fight) would be Complications that generate Plot Points.*

Getting back up? Use Second Wind to clear your Stun damage (non-lethal track).

Most rituals are covered with either Basic checks (extremely easy, for rituals; able to be done in one action) or Extended checks (typical; takes multiple actions but doing well can get it done quickly). Combined with the sliding Target Number of Cortex, you've got an extremely flexible ritual system for binding or banishing.
Physical binding is handled via various kinds of wresting, followed by opposed checks (there's an instance in the Sample Combat).

*Plot Points are the real heart of Cortex. They allow you to affect dice rolls, reduce damage, and manipulate the story (adding, subtracting, or altering elements to make the scene more interesting). They're the thing that keeps the game flexible and moving.

If you're familiar with Cortex then you know if this game is worth getting. If you are not (and you don't seem to be) then it's worth checking out the PDF.

Remove ads