D&D 5E Supplemental books: Why the compulsion to buy and use, but complain about it?

pming

Legend
Hiya.
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]. Whoah! I didn't mean to touch a nerve there, really. I was basically saying what I think would be "perfect". I know it is completely unrealistic...but those were my "100% Awesome!" points; the closer they could get to those, the more happy I'd be.

*snip*

I wrote a lot of paragraphs before I realized I just don't want to argue about this. I don't use DDI, never have, never will. I don't like DRM (watermarked PDF's are fine; once I buy a PDF, I want to be able to do whatever the heck I want with it [within the law] like add to, convert, manipulate, save, copy/backup, etc.). I don't like all the fancy "Look! Shiney!" stuff virtually ALL of modern RPG design has (glossy pages, full-color art, color borders, jazzed up typesetting, full color maps, etc.). Give me b/w or greyscale art interior, simple type that is easy to read, and clear and easy to understand b/w maps. Advertising is just annoying as hell no matter what/where it's at. I view advertising the same way I view politicians; saying a bunch of words together that sounds like information, but really isn't. It's all about "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

kalani

First Post
When it comes to book bloat (admittedly, not always a major issue) I have found the simple solution is generally the best. However, in the spirit of keeping players happy without imposing my own subjective views, I have found a middle ground that has served me for several years.

Players can use one PHB and 1-2 supplement books of their choice when designing their character.

My reasons for limiting players to 1-2 splatbooks but leaving the choice up to them is for several reasons. Firstly, it is arrogant to say that my subjective views are better than those of my players. Second, not all splatbooks are equal in respect to options for X, Y, or Z archetype - and as such, limiting some splatbooks but allowing others unfairly punishes some characters. Finally, by limiting splatbooks to 1-2 per character, it prevents a lot of the abuse which occurs when the entire product line is available.

Most splatbooks are balanced internally and are generally balanced alongside their respective PHB (power creep not withstanding)- but as the product line increases, it becomes increasingly more difficult to maintain balance with all other products in the product line. As such, by limiting the number of splatbooks a player can access (but leaving the choice as to which books to them) - it reduces the potential abuse that occurs due to unexpected interactions between various products - most such abuse requiring feats and options from a variety of sources.

Hussar

Legend
Hiya.

[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]. Whoah! I didn't mean to touch a nerve there, really. I was basically saying what I think would be "perfect". I know it is completely unrealistic...but those were my "100% Awesome!" points; the closer they could get to those, the more happy I'd be.

*snip*

I wrote a lot of paragraphs before I realized I just don't want to argue about this. I don't use DDI, never have, never will. I don't like DRM (watermarked PDF's are fine; once I buy a PDF, I want to be able to do whatever the heck I want with it [within the law] like add to, convert, manipulate, save, copy/backup, etc.). I don't like all the fancy "Look! Shiney!" stuff virtually ALL of modern RPG design has (glossy pages, full-color art, color borders, jazzed up typesetting, full color maps, etc.). Give me b/w or greyscale art interior, simple type that is easy to read, and clear and easy to understand b/w maps. Advertising is just annoying as hell no matter what/where it's at. I view advertising the same way I view politicians; saying a bunch of words together that sounds like information, but really isn't. It's all about "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

No nerves. Just rather bewildered that you would say what you want, and when you actually GET what you want, you then claim that you want something else. No advertising? Well, the DDI didn't have any advertising. No DRM? Well, the DDI has no DRM. PDF's that you can do whatever you want with? Yup, that's what you get. So, what's the problem with DDI. It gives you 100% what you claim you want. About the only thing you don't get is b/w maps.

But, since you say that you have never used the DDI and never will, I have to wonder what it would take to actually give you what you want. I mean, what more do you want?

pming

Legend
Hiya.

No nerves. Just rather bewildered that you would say what you want, and when you actually GET what you want, you then claim that you want something else. No advertising? Well, the DDI didn't have any advertising. No DRM? Well, the DDI has no DRM. PDF's that you can do whatever you want with? Yup, that's what you get. So, what's the problem with DDI. It gives you 100% what you claim you want. About the only thing you don't get is b/w maps.

But, since you say that you have never used the DDI and never will, I have to wonder what it would take to actually give you what you want. I mean, what more do you want?

Ok...well, the DDI isn't using any of the systems/editions I play. So, as it seems you are primarily fixated on DDI, I would never have actually got what I want...I don't play 4e. So DDI not having advertising, DRM, having downloadable PDF, etc gives me 0% of what I want as I don't want it because it uses 4e to begin with.

If/when WotC comes out with a "DDI" for 5e, I'll look into it as I actually like, and play, 5e. I'll see how it works for me and try and get back to you. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Hussar

Legend
Hiya.

Ok...well, the DDI isn't using any of the systems/editions I play. So, as it seems you are primarily fixated on DDI, I would never have actually got what I want...I don't play 4e. So DDI not having advertising, DRM, having downloadable PDF, etc gives me 0% of what I want as I don't want it because it uses 4e to begin with.

If/when WotC comes out with a "DDI" for 5e, I'll look into it as I actually like, and play, 5e. I'll see how it works for me and try and get back to you. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Sorry, when you said this:

Hiya.

Yes...er...sorta. :) They need to re-start Dungeon and Dragon magazine...in print format, not digital. They need to wait one or two years. Then they take the most popular and "good" articles, ideas, spells, etc and put them in a SINGLE hardback book (like what Unearthed Arcana was for 1e...yes, I know a lot of 1e folks don't like UA, but a lot of 1e folks do...the concept is solid, IMHO). I'd happily pay them $80 every year or two for a nice "compilation" like this. I'm not going to pay them $20 six times a year for books I'm only going to be using 20% of the material...I'd rather just give them nothing and make it up myself.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

and then talked about things like no advertising, no DRM, and whatnot, I presumed that you meant D&D. That you didn't play 4e wasn't mentioned. I pointed out that DDI gives you everything you asked for. I would assume that 5e will likely have a DDi system as well, possibly through this new Morningstar thing that's coming out, so, you are in luck. You get everything you asked for, and WOTC wants to sell it to you.

Remove ads