Supreme Two-Weapon Fighting vs Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting

Bloodstone

First Post
Neither of which give you more iterative attacks from BAB, and therefore do not give you more attacks from either PTWF or STWF.

you might be right about weapons of speed or frenzied berzerker. about whirlwind attack though: from p15 of the D&D FAQ:

How many attacks would a character with the Whirlwind
Attack feat get if she were attacking with two weapons?
What if she has Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting?
What if she also as Improved Two-Weapon Fighting?

If you don’t have Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, you get
one attack against every foe within 5 feet, plus one attack for the
second weapon. The Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting
feats reduce your penalties, but they don’t give you any extra
attacks.

If you have Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, you get one
attack against every foe within 5 feet, plus two attacks with the
second weapon.

In either case, you must use your primary hand for the
Whirlwind Attack, though you can decide which weapon will be
“primary.” Note that your two-weapon attack penalties apply to
every attack you make during the Whirlwind Attack.

In other words, if you are dual wielding and you perform a whirlwind attack you get all of your off hand attacks. With GTWF you get 3 off hand attacks, with STWF that means 4 off hand attack. With PTWF...well, that could depend on your interpretation...

How is it poorly worded? It specifically mentions BAB and it does not expressly override the rules already in existence for getting more than one attack. It seems to be worded just fine to me.

The poorly worded part is in both the flavor text:

You can attack with your off-hand weapon as frequently as with your primary weapon.

And the first damn line after the big bold word benefit.

Benefit: You can make as many attacks with you off hand as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus.

That is poorly worded to me. Those lines are what cause the confusion. Normally I'm the kind of guy to argue for the intent of the rules, but here I'm not 100% sure of what that intent is... it's a feat in a book that has feats that let you shoot at a target that is miles away without any range penalties, chop off peoples heads with your finger tips and cast spells that summon 10 adult red dragons....I think it is kind of hard to argue for what the correct interpretation of the rules is when comparing it to other epic level abilites.

You could get another attack by putting speed on the secondary weapon though. Of course, you don't need PTWF to do that.

Per the Sage, you can't get two attacks from two weapons of speed. Like bonuses don't "stack" type ruling...bad call in my eyes, but I can live with it. I honestly don't think you should get an extra off hand attack just because your primary weapon is a weapon of speed, mind you, but the wording of the rules makes it a bit unclear and I have seen people argue for it... the Frenzied Berzerker thing is a little more confusing though.

honestly, somone should probably just e-mail Andy and/or Bruce and be done with it...I guess that somone will be me, since I mentioned it... I'll post their reply when I get it.

hmm...ok I got Andy's e-mail addy...anyone know Bruce's?

Last edited:

jeffhartsell

First Post
PTWF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benefit: You can make as many attacks with you off hand as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This works great in conjunction with a whirlwind attack. For each whirlwind attack you get, you'd also get an off-hand attack at your full BAB.

CrimsonScribe

First Post
As much as I'd like to use Whirlwind Atttack, getting my Intelligence to 13 would either mean using a Tome of Clear Thought +3 or sacrificing way to much of my Dexterity.

Okay, so the main difference is STWF only give you one off-hand attack at each "level" of your BAB, where as PTWF gives you 1 off-hand attack for every primary weapon attack? (open to interpretation)

Thanks guys.

Remove ads