• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Surprised by the non-suckage

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I like "rogue's gallery" type books.

I don't know if it had been reviled exactly, more like "treated with indifference". My vote is 3.0 Enemies and Allies. Still use lots of what was in there. Wish they'd do a new one.

Wik

First Post
...manual of the planes, 3e version.

I've never been a very planar-oriented person, and the D&D cosmology as it stands isn't really something I enjoy a whole helluva lot. I mean, we *did* run a 2e planescape game that was alright, but in all, I preferred to stay on the Prime, thank you very much.

One of my players bought the Manual, because he was hoping to get into running his own game and thought that it would be interesting. I borrowed the book (and promptly spilled pop all over it, so I bought it off him out of guilt), and absolutely LOVED it. It is, as I like to refer to it, "an absolute mindf***".

I know a lot of people here probably love the manual, and I think it's usually regarded as one of those books everyone loves, but for me, I figured it was going to be terrible and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually something that appeals to me greatly. Especially a lot of the demiplanes and planar locations that were used; I can use those in my own games, without adhering to the standard (and, to me, lame) D&D cosmology.

Treebore

First Post
Wik said:
...manual of the planes, 3e version.

I've never been a very planar-oriented person, and the D&D cosmology as it stands isn't really something I enjoy a whole helluva lot. I mean, we *did* run a 2e planescape game that was alright, but in all, I preferred to stay on the Prime, thank you very much.

One of my players bought the Manual, because he was hoping to get into running his own game and thought that it would be interesting. I borrowed the book (and promptly spilled pop all over it, so I bought it off him out of guilt), and absolutely LOVED it. It is, as I like to refer to it, "an absolute mindf***".

I know a lot of people here probably love the manual, and I think it's usually regarded as one of those books everyone loves, but for me, I figured it was going to be terrible and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually something that appeals to me greatly. Especially a lot of the demiplanes and planar locations that were used; I can use those in my own games, without adhering to the standard (and, to me, lame) D&D cosmology.

I have generally the same opinion as you about the "planes". Guess I'll have to check out the Manual now. That is the "newest" of the planes books, right?

Wik

First Post
Well, the planar handbook is newer, and I think there might be a few other new ones, but I'm not a planar freak. What I love about the manual is there's a lot in there to make the planes fit your own campaign world. After I bought it, I realized that I can use demiplanes to flesh out my world, and it won't seem too "High-Magic" - as an example, Dr. Morgenes' workshop in the Tad Williams series could be considered a demi-plane.

So now, my "elven kingdom" is a floating island that appears and disappears in the mists, and is actually a demiplane of its own. Thanks Manual of the Planes!

Wik

First Post
Well, the products page on wotc is down right now.... but, looking at my copy, I *think* the ISBN number is 0-7869-1850-0.

Ranes

Adventurer
I like MotP and the 3.0 version of D&DG, too. I also totally dig ToM. And, for all its flaws, Savage Species has provided a ton of inspirational material.

I also like this thread.

Wraith Form

Explorer
MutieMoe said:
Call Of Cthulhu D20 version was pretty vilified around here
Hunh? I'm a confessed BRP (Chaosium) purist, but my GOD the d20 CoC book is amazing! I say, take 'em both! If you don't like BRP, use d20, and vice-versa!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads