D&D General Surrealism in D&D

Richards

Legend
Agreed - interesting. I hadn't heard either of your alternate answers, but they're equally fitting. The version I heard was told to me by my grown son.

Johnathan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Surrealism works if one has the party in an Alice-In-Wonderland type of setting or adventure (I tried this once for a gonzo one-off and it worked well enough), and-or if a party somehow finds its way to the Plane of Chaos, at which point anything goes.

But long-term? Hard to sustain, if only because one either a) runs out of cool new ideas or b) succumbs to the how-do-I-top-that problem and takes it completely off the rails.

I always wanted to base a campaign world around surrealist landscapes, but I haven't found very many pictures to use that didn't include blatant references to technology, so I haven't gone further with the idea.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I always wanted to base a campaign world around surrealist landscapes, but I haven't found very many pictures to use that didn't include blatant references to technology, so I haven't gone further with the idea.
One source might be, of all places, Magic cards. There were a few series - Zendikar might have been one - that had a lot of surrealist landscapes in their art - chunks of land floating in the air, that sort of thing.

Of course, if all you have is the cards the art is kinda small, but it's something. :)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Surrealism works if one has the party in an Alice-In-Wonderland type of setting or adventure (I tried this once for a gonzo one-off and it worked well enough), and-or if a party somehow finds its way to the Plane of Chaos, at which point anything goes.
Dreamlands-type locales are fitting, too, i think.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
You might try one of those recent txt2img generators, using the keyword "surrealism" in the prompt.
Screenshot 2022-10-02 15.50.33.png

Screenshot 2022-10-02 15.48.27.png

The "AI" does the acid so you don't have to.

Surrealism can work well but it is also easy to overdo it. I've had some success with some places and some scenarios being particularly weird. I think trying to make the entire setting be surreal would be difficult and probably too much.

Remove ads