Surtur Preview

Hi Anabster dude! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Curses! I can't download it for some reason - whenever I try, it says I don't have permission. I'll have to wait until it shows up on the website.

If anyone can't download it, feel free to email me agooddesigner@hotmail.com and I will send it to you.

Although as you say, I'll have it up on the website proper this weekend.

Hi Rikandur matey! :D

Rikandur Azebol said:
Wow, avesome ! Now I can see Surtur being able to burn the world ... and even recover from avatar form, if some crafty PC's defeat him. :)

Glad you like it. :)

Although remember Surtur is a small fry (no pun intended) in the grand scheme of things. ;)

I was going to add an Aspect of Surtur's Avatar form, but I realised that it would have 15 Hit Dice which is the same as a Fire Giant. If you wanted a non-epic Surtur to battle, I would simply add the Hero-deity Template to a Fire Giant and give it equipment for a 30th-level PC (ECL 30/CR 20).

Last edited:

Hi WarDragon mate! :)

WarDragon said:
Very nice, and very scary. What intrigued me most was the domains... I can't wait to see all of them in final form, with abilities like those (hint, hint)!

You and me both! :eek:

I'll try and see how much I can eat into the Portfolios tonight.

Hiya mate! :)

Arg-ha Lardgoa said:
attack and full attack have different plus to damage on the manifestation

Thanks for that dude, there were a lot of last minute feat modifications and something must have got forgotten in the shuffle. :confused:

Phantom Llama

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Is it so terrible of me? :eek:
No, I like it. It adds a dash of colour to the proceedings.

Does it detract or add to things when I wander of the path beaten by the mythology?
It adds, definitely. If I wanted a simple rehash of mythology I'd go read a mythology book. Mythology is inspiration, not gospel.

I appreciate the vote of confidence Phantom Llama mate. :)

Two other things I have uncovered in my recent travails.

1. Should anyone be allowed to wield a weapon heavier than themselves?

Surtur's sword outweighs him by a considerable margin.

The reason being that the weight of the object is increasing eightfold for every +15 strength, whereas the density of the creature only doubles every +15 strength (from virtual size categories).

Slightly tricky one this.

2. Should all immortals gain the +3 bonus to Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom from old age?

Phantom Llama

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Yes.

2. Should all immortals gain the +3 bonus to Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom from old age?
This is trickier.

I think I lean towards no, assuming the immortal is pregenerated with a stat array or built from an already ancient creature like a Pit Fiend or so forth. In that case the initial array should be assumed to already include aging bonuses. Ascended mortals built from the ground-up should get the bonuses.

Buugipopuu

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Slightly tricky one this.

Anyone capable of easily lifting such a weapon in the first place is presumably used to dealing with the unfortunate consequences of Newtonian mechanics from their own strength. Or you could simply rule that a deity's aura, which is also the source of their Deflection bonus is cabable of exerting a balancing force that keeps gods swinging orichalcum greatswords from being raped by conservation of angular momentum.

At some point you're going to have to either fly, or make DC 70+ Balance checks every round to avoind sinking into the ground due to your own weight anyway, unless everyone has Adamantine floors.

I don't think so. They're immortal, so they don't really age (they do, however, accumulate more power as they age, through worship and suchlike). An ascended mortal would probably keep the age modifiers of his mortal self (although it would probably be possible to Wish to have them reversed if they were inconvenience).

Knight Otu

First Post
Anabstercorian said:
Curses! I can't download it for some reason - whenever I try, it says I don't have permission. I'll have to wait until it shows up on the website.
Attachments were disabled for a bit yesterday, that may have been the problem?

UK, you passingly reference sand and shadow giants. Are those references to creatures you'll provide at a later date, or are those references to WotC giants? If the latter, I'm pretty certain they're not OGC. I guess this is a pretty gray area, as you really can't claim those names as IP, but I figured it's better to mention it in any case.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Hi, U_K matey. :lol:

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Rikandur matey! :D

Glad you like it. :)

Very much, even as my DM would earlier get an seizure before allowing me to play him in Ragnarok Scenario.

Upper_Krust said:
Although remember Surtur is a small fry (no pun intended) in the grand scheme of things. ;)

I was going to add an Aspect of Surtur's Avatar form, but I realised that it would have 15 Hit Dice which is the same as a Fire Giant. If you wanted a non-epic Surtur to battle, I would simply add the Hero-deity Template to a Fire Giant and give it equipment for a 30th-level PC (ECL 30/CR 20).

Surtur ? The Elder God ? The guy who'll burn 9 worlds of Viking mythology ? Small fry ? Let me guess ... Neutronium Golem would crush him like bug ? Without noticing his existence ... :uhoh:

And if I were wanting my, unfortunate, Players to fight something like that ... I would throw at them Half-Red Dragon Fire Giant with max HD. With bodyguards and feat-chain selection copied from party's Frenzied Berserker. Party's arcane-blaster wasn't thankful when he recived this Greatsword hit due to "friendly fire". ;)

EDIT: And how would You explain Ymir remaining alive ? Isn't it that Odin cheated and killed Ymir to create Midgard ?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases