• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survey D&D General questions

Sanne Kerkhof

First Post
Hello fellow Dungeons & Dragons players,
My name is Sanne and I’m from The Netherlands. Currently I’m studying animation. I chose my exam to be an animation of Dungeons & Dragons. For this exam I need to know certain information about the people who play the game. I’m making a short tutorial animation about the game. Could you guys help me out and fill out these questions? I’d really appreciate it!

1. What is your age?
  2. At what age did you start playing D&D?
  3. Are you a boy or a girl?
  4. What did you find difficult about the game at first?
  5. What is the most important you think should be in a tutorial animation?
  6. What kind of ambiance would you like a tutorial animation to have?

If you have something you’d really like to add, feel free to do so.
Some extra information if you guys want to know. I failed my first try on finishing the first part of my exam. The reason behind this was a lack of information. I have to make this animation and a lot of paperwork in two weeks from now.
Thanks to everyone who’s helping me out!

[I have managed to reach my goal (20 reactions) together with a different site. I want to thank all of you who took their time and fill this out for me!]

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
  1. What is your age?
  2. At what age did you start playing D&D?
  3. Are you a boy or a girl?
  4. What did you find difficult about the game at first?
  5. What is the most important you think should be in a tutorial animation?
  6. What kind of ambiance would you like a tutorial animation to have?
  1. 50+
  2. 16
  3. M
  4. Different edition, different issues, but surviving 1st level (What!? You don't roll 3d6 for hit points like your other ability scores?) and spellcasting (initially, the DM would just pick any class appropriate spell in the book on the fly for NPC villains, so they always had the "right" spell for a situation)
  5. Honestly, there's a lot to cover. Depending on how basic your tutorial is, you could start with info on "what is a role-playing game", how the dice mechanic works, role of DM, creating a character (race, class, background), combat and adventuring.
  6. Ambiance? It should make the game seem like it's fun to play. Humor also helps make things memorable. If you have a narrator explaining mechanics and concepts, you should also have "scenes" demonstrating these things in actual play. May need to get some of your gaming buddies to provide additional voices. Scenes could be of players around a table, "in game" action of their characters, or both. A common trope for films incorporating D&D is to show the fantasy version of the PCs, but have them speak out of character as the players do.

Last edited:

Sanne Kerkhof

First Post
  1. 50+
  2. 16
  3. M
  4. Different edition, different issues, but surviving 1st level (What!? You don't roll 3d6 for hit points like your other ability scores?) and spellcasting (initially, the DM would just pick any class appropriate spell in the book on the fly for NPC villains, so they always had the "right" spell for a situation)
  5. Honestly, there's a lot to cover. Depending on how basic your tutorial is, you could start with info on "what is a role-playing game", how the dice mechanic works, role of DM, creating a character (race, class, background), combat and adventuring.
  6. Ambiance? It should make the game seem like it's fun to play. Humor also helps make things memorable. If you have a narrator explaining mechanics and concepts, you should also have "scenes" demonstrating these things in actual play. May need to get some of your gaming buddies to provide additional voices. Scenes could be of players around a table, "in game" action of their characters, or both. A common trope for films incorporating D&D is to show the fantasy version of the PCs, but have them speak out of character as the players do.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll make sure to make good use of your information.

Sanne Kerkhof

First Post

Yes but then a lot more basic and shorter. The animation will be between 1,5-2 minutes. Ontwerp.png It's going to look like this (but much more beautiful than it is now).

Remove ads