Survey of non d20 Abilities and Score Generation

redkobold

Explorer
I would like some help from you guys on collecting a list of all the abilities and their ability score generation method of other rpgs out there including those from free/homebrew rpgs that you may have written or come across that you like.

Here are the ones that I have come across starting with d20:

D20
Abilities: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma, and in previous incarnations, Comeliness.
Ability Scores: sum of 3d6 (of course there is point buy and a myriad of other options)

Star Frontiers:
Abilities: Strength/Stamina, Dexterity/Reaction Speed, Intuition/Logic, Personality/Leadership
Ability Scores: Percentile roll that generates 30-70. Each pair gets the same score then you can shift up to 10 points to one of each of the pair.

d6
Abilities: Agility, Acumen, Coordination, Intellect, Charisma, Extranormal, Physique
Ability Scores: scores are not a static sum but represented by a number of d6, 3d6+1 for example

Let me know of some others and tell me what you liked or found particulary interesting about how it was generated or used in the game. I am not intersted so much in the d&d knockoff games systems or those that just renamed abilites from another system unless they added something new or innovative to it.

Off the top of my head, here are some others I would like to see:

Gamma World (old, non-d20 editions)

Warhammer RPG

Fudge

Hero System

Harn

Runequest by Mongoose

Action

Savage Heroes

Exalted

Skyrealms of Jorune

Ars Magica

Toon

Gurps

Tri Stat

Dying Earth

Also, I have heard of rpgs that do not have ability scores but rather just modifiers, cutting out one level of abstraction with the score which in some systems is never used again except for the modifier.

Lastly, are there some rpgs without Abilities? How do these systems work?

Thanks in advance to all of you out there.

GreatLemur

Explorer
lyonstudio said:
Also, I have heard of rpgs that do not have ability scores but rather just modifiers, cutting out one level of abstraction with the score which in some systems is never used again except for the modifier.
There's a good chance that you're thinking of this one:

True20
Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma
Ability Scores: Start with zeros in all abilities, and then distribute 6 points however you please. It's also possible to lower a starting score into negatives to distribute those points elsewhere. I think the normal human range goes from -5 to +5 (but I could be wrong about that). Scores function almost identically to d20 ability modifiers (d20 roll + ability + skill vs. target number).

Wik

First Post
d6 had different abilities, depending on what genre you playing in. Star Wars, for example, had something like Strength, Agility, Technical, Mechanical (piloting, for example), Perception, and Willpower.

I liked Shadowrun's set up - Strength, Body, Quickness, Willpower, Charisma, Perception, if I'm not mistaken. And the averages from those abilities (which ranged from 1 to 6) were used to make the ratings in sub-abilities (Reaction for initiative checks and your Combat Pool, for starters).

GreatLemur

Explorer
Also, you left out a pretty big one.

World of Darkness (old)
Abilities: Physical: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina. Social: Charisma, Manipulation, Appearance. Mental: Perception, Intelligence, Wits.
Ability Scores: Abilities are rated in "dots", with 1 through 5 dots being the normal human range, and 2 dots as average. Each ability starts with 1 dot. Characters are given three pools of points to assign to each category of abilities, and then points from each pool are spent on the abilies in its category. I believe this amounts available varied for different types of characters, but most supernatural types received pools of 7, 5, and 3 points. So you could choose to make physical, social, or mental abilities your primary category by putting the 7-point pool into that category, and so on.

World of Darkness (new)
Abilities: Mental: Intelligence, Wits, Resolve. Physical: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina. Social: Presence, Manipulation, Composure. (So "Charisma" is now "Presence", "Appearance" and "Perception" are gone, and "Resolve" and "Composure" are added.)
Ability Scores: Abilities are rated in "dots", with 1 through 5 dots being the normal human range, and 2 dots as average. Each ability starts with 1 dot. Characters are given three pools of points to assign to each category of abilities, and then points from each pool are spent on the abilies in its category. I'm less familiar with the specifics of nWoD, but it's obviously very similar to the older system.

Glyfair

Explorer
lyonstudio said:
Dying Earth

Abilities: Persuade, Rebuff, Attack, Defense, Health, Weapons
Ability Scores: Each ability has a ""type" unique to each stat (for example, persuade has Glib, Eloquent, Obfuscatory, Forthright, Charming, Intimidating). Scores are generated with point buy with a maximum based on the level of the campaign (10 is max for lowest level of campaign). You can gain extra total points by randomly determining your "type" for the stat.

Heroquest

Abilities: Any. Abilities are any you choose (from "Strong" to "Hates Self").
Ability Scores: Set based on how chosen. Certain keywords give a set of skills, namely occupation, culture and magic and have a given value (default 17). Other ones chosen have a lower set value (default 13). There is a set number of points to distribute after this.

Melanda, Land of Mystery

Abilities: I'll have to find my book but Mental Prowess, Dexterity, Agility and Physical Power come to mind.
Ability Scores: Generated based on skill choices. Each state ranges from 1-20, but typically is only referenced by a word tied to the stat (best ot worst - Superior, Remarkable, Exceptional, Good, Average, Poor, Inadequate). Later versions completely drop the numerical value.

Hero System
Abilities: Strength, Dexteridty, Constitution, Body, Intelligence, Ego, Presence, Comeliness are base. Physical Defense, Energy Defense, Speed, Recovery, Stun & Endurance are calculated from base stats and can be raised.
Ability Scores: Point buy. 10 is starting for base stats, 20 is often considered "normal human maximum."

Last edited:

redkobold

Explorer
Thanks for those responses so far. Herquest sounds interesting. How is it used for action resolution?

Has anyone else come across any other unique abilities like Mana, Reputation, etc?

What about old Gamma World players?

Glyfair

Explorer
lyonstudio said:
Thanks for those responses so far. Herquest sounds interesting. How is it used for action resolution?

There is one universal system that applies to all conflict, whether combat, social, magical. You can even mix and match the interactions (with modifiers). If you want to use your "Confound stupid creature" when attacked by the trolls Close Combat- Club ability that was modified by his strong & large abilites, you can. You'll just have big modifiers.

There are two basic ways of having a resolution. The simple way just has a roll vs. a roll. When the interaction is very important there is a mechanic where each person has a pool of "advantage points" they wager until one side is reduced to zero or breaks off.

What I like best is character generation. There are three methods that can be mixed and matched. One player can use the "narrative" method where you write a 100 word description of your character and get your abilities from that. The next can use the list, where he gets a certain number of abilities. The third, the guy who is always late, can use the "create as you go" method which is essentially the list method, but you create your skills as you play.

More info is at the HEroquest site.

bolen

First Post
You know I have a conversion document by the eighties from the mid eighties that converts statics from maybe 12 games into each other,

Remove ads