Surviving level 1

outsider

First Post
So, I'm looking into joining an Adventurer's League group. Problem is, they are currently around level 8 playing through Tomb of Annihilation. I'd be taking a level 1 into there. The DM figures I'd probably hit around level 3-4 by the end of the first session, if I survive. I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Notably, because this is Adventurer's League, I could design a character for Level 1 survivability, then use my complete rebuild option before the next session, to rebuild into something more long term.

So, what's everybody's thoughts on how to survive level 1? I'm a rogue player, and tbh I think rogue is a pretty good choice for this kind of thing. Maxing out perception and stealth should be top priorities. Using a bow would help alot as well. Thinking elf for race, though maybe halfling might be a bit better. Here's what I'm thinking about going with:

Wood Elf Rogue 1
Str 8
Dex 17
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 8

Background: Faction Agent
Skills
Perception(expertise) +7
Stealth(expertise) +7
Acrobatics +5
Investigation +2
Sleight of Hand +5
Insight +5
Arcana +2

Gear: Rapier/Shortbow/Burglar's Kit
Passive Perception: 17
HP: 10
AC: 14(ugh)
+5 to hit/+3 to damage with rapier/shortbow.

If I hit level 3, choose Scout archetype.
If I hit level 4, choose Elven Accuracy feat.
Once I get some gold and access to a shop, buy studded leather first, then longbow.

Any other suggestions? I've played every version of D&D over the years, so I know how to play as a useful coward for a while. 1 or 2 fights should put me up to level 2, where I can start doing the "hide, shoot, hide" routine.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don't think you can legally bring an L1 character into an L8 group in Adventurer's League. The relevant tiers are 1-4 / 5-10. Characters in a group must all be of the same tier.
[MENTION=17607]Pauper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8851]Kail[/MENTION]ani can give you more definite information; I haven't been able to play AL for two years so I may be out-of-date.

P.S. I've been an L4 in a group of L1s, and it can work out well if everybody looks out for each other's backs. (Think 007 and the Greek woman in For Your Eyes Only.)

outsider

First Post
I don't think you can legally bring an L1 character into an L8 group in Adventurer's League. The relevant tiers are 1-4 / 5-10. Characters in a group must all be of the same tier.

It's my understanding that hardcover adventures allow for multi-tier parties.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
It's my understanding that hardcover adventures allow for multi-tier parties.

That's correct -- the FAQ actually suggests mixed-tier parties are the norm in AL (see "Mixed-Tier Parties? Wussat?", pp.12-13 in the AL FAQ v7.1), but depending on your experience you might see a lot of it (if you play mainly hardcovers) or almost none (if you play mainly published adventures from the DMs Guild, where tier restrictions are stronger).

With that said, there's really no way to optimize a level 1 character to survive in a party of level 8 characters -- it's challenging enough as a DM not to outright kill level 1 characters in a tier 1 adventure where they're paired up with level 4 characters, much less with level 8 characters facing encounters appropriate to that level of character.

Also, this:

then use my complete rebuild option before the next session, to rebuild into something more long term.

The 'complete rebuild' option ends when you hit level 5 (see Character Rebuilding, p.4 of the AL Player's Guide, v7.0), so be aware that you are likely to reach that level before ToA is over. I'd just go with whatever you want to play long-term and hope the DM doesn't kill you in the first session.

--
Pauper

jasper

Rotten DM
You can play in Chapters 1 and 2. After that the Chapters are tier 2. Ask the dm to run some Tier 1 modules. It is up to the dm if you can play with a higher level group.

Last edited:

outsider

First Post
The 'complete rebuild' option ends when you hit level 5 (see Character Rebuilding, p.4 of the AL Player's Guide, v7.0), so be aware that you are likely to reach that level before ToA is over. I'd just go with whatever you want to play long-term and hope the DM doesn't kill you in the first session.

--
Pauper

Ahh, right. Has to be done after an adventure, not after a session.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I'm thinking Half-Orc. Maybe something with medium-heavy armor and a shield that wouldn't have to be on the front line, like a Cleric or Bard. Then the party will have a vested interest in keeping you alive.

outsider

First Post
I'm thinking Half-Orc. Maybe something with medium-heavy armor and a shield that wouldn't have to be on the front line, like a Cleric or Bard. Then the party will have a vested interest in keeping you alive.

Yeah, staying out of melee is definitely necessary. And would probably continue to be even after level 1 if I was to keep going with this group.

Spastik

First Post
Roll a fighter or cleric for lvl 1 so you have survivability, then reroll your character at lvl 3 or 4 when the session is over.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Does 5e still give partial-XP for "observing a trap in action" when one would usually be disarming it? As a rogue with the appropriate tools, walk around the dungeon with a ten foot pole and a note pad, clearly trying to learn dungeoneering as you go (setting off traps from a safe distance). You'll be third level in no time, with barely a scratch!

Remove ads