Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 26
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 18
Bulfinch, Thomas 21
Cook, Glen 28
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 11
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 21 Jordan is amazing, even if his series was too long to finish. But what an opening trilogy!
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 21
Mieville, China 16 Me-Evil is a communist hack whose books fall apart in the second act. Since Martin is already gone (good riddance), he's next on my list.
MPeake, Mervyn 20
Pratchett, Terry 24
Rothfuss, Patrick 14
Sanderson, Brandon 25
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 21

Not surprised to see Salvatore go down first, though - as you might surmise from my name - I did enjoy his books when I was younger. Good popcorn fiction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If you haven't finished the Wheel of Time, but liked the opening books, I would recommend it: it ends with a bang, and with a point.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Aye, it's been too long, and those middle books wore me out. I eventually read a read-through summary of the whole series - even that took a week! But Wheel of Time influences my approach to D&D worldbuilding to this day...

Mallus

Legend
Wow, Martin's gone but the likes of Weis & Hickman and That Elfstone Guy are still around. Sad.

(people are pretty mad at George R.R. for not finishing ASoIaF yet, eh?)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh no. I'm mad at him for starting it. It's trash. :)

Yeah, so, having read them by myself, I didn't really notice there was sex in the books. I tend to edit that sort of junk out when reading books. Latter, when discussing the book with other people, I've heard Martin's style described as "one-handed typing." It's gross.

tglassy

Adventurer
High name recognition is the kiss of death in these contests. The more name recognition something has, the more fans it will have, obviously. But unfortunately, for every fan there are ten other people in the room who are sick and tired of listening to those fans.

Actually, this is wrong. Because downvotes are two points and upvotes are one, it takes twice as many fans to keep a popular choice as critics. Which is why it was amazin Tolkien lasted over 800 posts. Because he literally had twice as many people voting for him than he had against. A relatively small number of critics can destroy a contestant that would otherwise win a normal vote, thanks to this system.

tglassy

Adventurer
Oh he’s definitely not a bad writer. If he was a bad writer, people would have waited the last four years for his next book, and he wouldn’t have his own shelf at Bookstores all over the country, even with no new books out for the last four years. He is a darn good writer. Not finishing something as big and complicated as A Song of Ice and Fire doesn’t make him a bad writer. He’s just let his head get in the way.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually, this is wrong. Because downvotes are two points and upvotes are one, it takes twice as many fans to keep a popular choice as critics. Which is why it was amazin Tolkien lasted over 800 posts. Because he literally had twice as many people voting for him than he had against. A relatively small number of critics can destroy a contestant that would otherwise win a normal vote, thanks to this system.

Good Lord, the game would take forever otherwise.

Remove ads